RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

pygtk and 2.3.1

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

31 of 31 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 14 Jun 17:59
  pygtk and 2.3.1 Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Jun 22:24
   pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 14 Jun 18:36
   pygtk and 2.3.1 Eric P 15 Jun 03:56
  pygtk and 2.3.1 Carol Spears 14 Jun 22:42
   pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 28 Jun 12:13
    pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 28 Jun 12:46
     pygtk and 2.3.1 Manish Singh 28 Jun 18:01
      pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 28 Jun 15:59
       pygtk and 2.3.1 Michael Schumacher 28 Jun 21:03
       pygtk and 2.3.1 Manish Singh 28 Jun 21:16
        pygtk and 2.3.1 michael chang 30 Jun 15:15
         pygtk and 2.3.1 michael chang 30 Jun 15:18
      pygtk and 2.3.1 michael chang 28 Jun 18:45
     pygtk and 2.3.1 Carol Spears 29 Jun 02:19
      Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 29 Jun 10:52
       Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 29 Jun 13:40
        Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 sam ende 29 Jun 17:55
         Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 Carol Spears 29 Jun 20:38
        Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 29 Jun 17:59
         Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 29 Jun 16:41
          Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 29 Jun 17:57
         Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 Carol Spears 29 Jun 20:39
       Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 Simon Budig 29 Jun 15:14
        Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 29 Jun 11:32
    pygtk and 2.3.1 Sven Neumann 28 Jun 21:28
     pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 28 Jun 19:08
      pygtk and 2.3.1 Sven Neumann 29 Jun 00:41
       pygtk and 2.3.1 John R. Culleton 28 Jun 21:01
    pygtk and 2.3.1 Carol Spears 29 Jun 01:54
pygtk and 2.3.1 Michael Schumacher 15 Jun 09:50
John R. Culleton
2005-06-14 17:59:24 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Am running 2.3.0 without incident. I downloaded 2.3.1 and attempted to configure. I got a message about pygtk-2.0 missing.

What is this, is it essential and where can I find it?

Not a huge deal. 2.3.0 is OK.

John R. Culleton
2005-06-14 18:36:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 08:24 pm, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

If you are in ahurry, however, you cvan just pass --disable-python to the ./configure script, and live a little more withou the python plug-ins.

JS
->

Well that got me through configure at least. Compiling is in process now. Thanks for a concise and helpful answer.

Python scripts? the words of Scarlett O'Hara, I'll worry about that tomorrow. :)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-06-14 22:24:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:59, John R. Culleton wrote:

Am running 2.3.0 without incident. I downloaded 2.3.1 and attempted to configure. I got a message about pygtk-2.0 missing.

From gimp 2.3.1 and ahead, teh gimp python extension is enabled by default.

With it in, you get some new plug-ins, but above everythiong else, a powrfull high level language to script up the GIMP in better and easy ways.

Search google to find the best way to install pygtk on your system (if you have to build it, it is buitl easily and without mess ) These are the bindings of the python language to GTK .

If you are in ahurry, however, you cvan just pass --disable-python to the ./configure script, and live a little more withou the python plug-ins.

JS
->

Carol Spears
2005-06-14 22:42:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:59:24PM +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

i am not certain where to find this, however ./configure --help will tell you how to configure it without python.

2.3.1 has a problem with maintaining transparent layers, so you might stick with 2.2 for that reason.

mr. culleton, i am going to respectfully ask the reason that after all of this time you are not running a cvs version of gimp? you seem overdue for this.

if you find pygtk and get python running on gimp, i would like to have your feedback about my silly little script writing attempts.

carol

Eric P
2005-06-15 03:56:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:59, John R. Culleton wrote:

From gimp 2.3.1 and ahead, teh gimp python extension is enabled by default.

With it in, you get some new plug-ins, but above everythiong else, a powrfull high level language to script up the GIMP in better and easy ways.

How will this affect Windows' builds for the eventual 2.4 release? I wonder if it will have to be disabled... I hope the Windows compiler crew can figure out a way to accommodate this (i.e., compiling with Python support)

EP

Michael Schumacher
2005-06-15 09:50:45 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Von: Eric P

How will this affect Windows' builds for the eventual 2.4 release?

Not at all.

I wonder if it will have to be disabled...

No.

I hope the Windows compiler crew can figure out a way to accommodate this (i.e., compiling with Python support)

The configure check and compiling isn't the problem (you just have to add -lpython2x to your LDFLAGS). If anyone can tell why the autotools based pygimp module isn't recognized, please tell me. The distutils build also uses gcc and ld, but different compiler and linker flags - knowing which of them cause this problem might help to adapt the pygimp build.

Michael

John R. Culleton
2005-06-28 12:13:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 08:42 pm, Carol Spears wrote:

mr. culleton, i am going to respectfully ask the reason that after all of this time you are not running a cvs version of gimp? you seem overdue for this.

With other packages there is an overnight snapshot of the CVS, bundled as tarball. Does such a facility exist for Gimp? Where?

if you find pygtk and get python running on gimp, i would like to have your feedback about my silly little script writing attempts.

Still struggling with pygtk. More later.

John R. Culleton
2005-06-28 12:46:12 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 10:13 am, John R. Culleton wrote:

With other packages there is an overnight snapshot of the CVS, bundled as tarball. Does such a facility exist for Gimp? Where?

Happy to report that they pygtk problem has bee ameliorated. I found pygtk-2.0 and installed it. Then after a little cut-and try I copied pygtk-2.0.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig. That bypassed the error messages.

Why the pygtk make install didn't do this automatically I don't know.

John R. Culleton
2005-06-28 15:59:04 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 04:01 pm, Manish Singh wrote:

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:46:12AM +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

Happy to report that they pygtk problem has bee ameliorated. I found pygtk-2.0 and installed it. Then after a little cut-and try I copied pygtk-2.0.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig. That bypassed the error messages.

Because you're supposed to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the environment to point to where the .pc file lives, instead of copying it.

Fine. so if I have 148 packages, then this environment variable is set to all 148 locations? Two facts intrude:

1. 148 other files with the suffix .pc reside in the directory previously mentioned.

2. The environmental variable you mention doesn't appear to exist on my machine currently. I used the "set" command with no parameters and it did not show up on the list.

Sorry folks, I am an old line pragmatist. The quickest and surest way to make something work is the one I will choose. Instead of expanding the list of locations searched just for a single package used by a single application, moving the required file to a place where the system will find it makes more sense to me. It is simple, it is sensible and it is robust.

Manish Singh
2005-06-28 18:01:44 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Because you're supposed to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the environment to point to where the .pc file lives, instead of copying it.

This is mentioned in INSTALL, although the context is regarding gtk+ itself, not pygtk.

-Yosh

michael chang
2005-06-28 18:45:56 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On 6/28/05, Manish Singh wrote:

Because you're supposed to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the environment to point to where the .pc file lives, instead of copying it. -Yosh
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I don't suppose you're going to tell us that the pkgconfig setup is supposed to do this for us?

John R. Culleton
2005-06-28 19:08:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 07:28 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"John R. Culleton" writes:

That doesn't exist and it would be a terrible waste of bandwidth since you are likely going to download that tarball frequently whereas a simple CVS update would just pull in the changes from CVS.

Sven

Understood.

I am not expert in CVS (translation, I just printed out the manual this morning) but it seems that it is command line driven. Do I sign on to a Gimp CVS server somewhere using telnet? If so what is the address etc.?

As I say I am a total babe in the woods with CVS. I do have a CVS program suite on my (Linux Slackware 10.1) system but don't know how to twist the wires together to make the initial interface between my system and the remote system.

Remember, I am the guy who sat through my first mainframe training class looking for the diagram that showed the hardware peripheral called the "assembler." On the last day it dawned on me that the "assembler" was really a program. So assume gross stupidity.

John R. Culleton
2005-06-28 21:01:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 10:41 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I am not expert in CVS (translation, I just printed out the manual this morning) but it seems that it is command line driven. Do I sign on to a Gimp CVS server somewhere using telnet? If so what is the address etc.?

This might be a good start: http://gimp.org/source/#gimp_from_cvs

Hmm, is that really the best documentation on CVS that we currently offer? Perhaps the classic version (classic and outdated, adjust version numbers!) can help: http://classic.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html

Sven

Actually that first set of instructions was pretty straightforward, There were just a couple of places where I had to guess. After an hour or two I now have Gimp 2.2 from CVS compiling!

Next I will try a checkout of gimp without the 2.2. version indicator and see what is really the bleeding edge. But at the present rate of compilation I will have time to watch several innings of NYY at Orioles.

Thanks to one and all for your help and I will report anything interesting along the way!

Michael Schumacher
2005-06-28 21:03:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

John R. Culleton wrote:

Sorry folks, I am an old line pragmatist. The quickest and surest way to make something work is the one I will choose. Instead of expanding the list of locations searched just for a single package used by a single application, moving the required file to a place where the system will find it makes more sense to me. It is simple, it is sensible and it is robust.

... until you install a new version, have forgotten about the copying, the old version is picked up, you wonder why it doesn't work, you steal valuable time from the developers when asking why it doesn't work, and so on... :)

SCNR,
Michael

Manish Singh
2005-06-28 21:16:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:59:04PM +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 04:01 pm, Manish Singh wrote:

Fine. so if I have 148 packages, then this environment variable is set to all 148 locations? Two facts intrude:

Well, if you configure all 148 packages into separate prefixes, then yeah. But that would be silly.

On one of my development machines, I build HEAD versions of gimp, pygtk, gtk+ and it's dependents. They go in *one* prefix, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH contains *one* path to find them. They don't belong in /usr/lib since I don't really want to use unstable libraries for the entire system.

1. 148 other files with the suffix .pc reside in the directory previously mentioned.

Which are installed by the system package manager.

2. The environmental variable you mention doesn't appear to exist on my machine currently. I used the "set" command with no parameters and it did not show up on the list.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't exist on a system by default either, but that's how you configure the runtime linker to look in non-default locations. PKG_CONFIG_PATH is similar in concept, but for compile time stuff.

It violates the principle that stuff in /usr should only be controlled by the package manager.

If you'd used a pygtk package for your system instead of building your own (assuming one exists), the .pc file would indeed be in /usr.

If you're building stuff by hand, add the appropriate stuff to your environment based on what --prefix you choose. It's not really complex.

-Yosh

Sven Neumann
2005-06-28 21:28:57 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Hi,

That doesn't exist and it would be a terrible waste of bandwidth since you are likely going to download that tarball frequently whereas a simple CVS update would just pull in the changes from CVS.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-06-29 00:41:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

Hi,

This might be a good start: http://gimp.org/source/#gimp_from_cvs

Hmm, is that really the best documentation on CVS that we currently offer? Perhaps the classic version (classic and outdated, adjust version numbers!) can help: http://classic.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html

Sven

PS: We could really use some help with the gimp website.

Carol Spears
2005-06-29 01:54:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:13:28AM +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

let me use an example from my government to demonstrate how cvs gimp works better than this "overnight" model -- the mozilla nightlies is the one example i have seen of this.

my government funded the SETI program. when funding was removed so many interested people used the SETI at home software to contribute. from what i heard of the success of this conversion, to free themselves from the limitations of the old mainframes and use all of those home computers to do the work, the amount of actual work they accomplished with the new set up is best measured exponentially.

i have watched this build process as it has progressed on windows. there was a time where Tor was building all of the gimps that were used on windows. since that time, (pardon misspellings) jernj and michael schumaml have been building gimp from cvs on windows and a few others as well. these poor souls are building gimp with a sane build system on an operating system that is not friendly to development like this. their efforts go far into making that build system better and better.

it would be nice to see some mac users with the same unafraid spirit to attempt to build gimp for their operating system as well. that might be an environment that is designed for critics and not for builders and makers though -- i dunno for sure.

i am not so certain that providing those snapshots did very much to actually make good software. the definition of what makes good software is greatly under debate -- i would still like to see a browser, from the free world, that is capable of displaying mng. my mozilla will gladly and easily display flash, which unfortunately includes the advertisements. and it downloads the files even though i do not have the plug-in installed. this is what the build-farm has rendered.

yes, i admit i read that before i wrote this.

sorry for the delay, i was at a different place in my inbox than here while all of the fun was going on.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-06-29 02:19:17 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

if you installed the pygtk-dev package from your distribution, it would have installed the .h files and also the .pc files into /usr/

it was explained to me to let the distribution handle the /usr/ directory and to use /usr/local/ for the software that you are building for yourself. this way of building software can become confused and broken when you need the development parts of other software that you installed yourself in /usr/local/ and make finds the distributions files in /usr/

make will look there first.

your problems with make were different however. there is a little script available from the newer gimp web site that could have handled this for you:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv my personal copy of this sets the cvsroot for getting gimp from cvs as well. put the file anywhere and with the terminal you use to build gimp with type "source gimpenv". it creates a little build environment in which all of the PATHS are set to look for software gimp might need that can be found in /usr/local. the build environment remains this way for the whole instance of this terminal/console. i typically use it on an xterm.

it can be easily modified if you start to want to build other software and have it install in other directories on your computer system such as /opt or even ~/
i suggest that you stay with the traditional /usr/local until all this new stuff makes sense to you.

after some experience with building software and seeing others try to build it on different operating systems, this method will start to make sense to you. at least it did for me.

if you would like my personal version of gimpenv, i can fix it to work with the annon server and send it to you.

i highly recommend using the cvsrc that was provided on the new gimp web site as well:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/cvsrc it sets your cvs up fairly logically and also keeps away some weird sync issues that the annonymous server can have.

carol

John R. Culleton
2005-06-29 10:52:58 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Bleeding edge, WAS pygtk and 2.3.1

thought it was time to rename the thread since I have gone past the problems with pygtk.

I had a successful cvs/compile/install cycle on Gimp stable. Then I thought I would try Gimp unstable, or bleeding edge. I followed the instructions for CVS of Gimp stable with one modification (see below)

I got a working program but this error message stopped the compile:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Making all in tips
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/cvs/gimp/data/tips' ../../intltool-merge ../../po-tips gimp-tips.xml.in gimp-tips.xml -x -u -c ../../po-tips/.intltool-merge-cachemake Possible unintended interpolation of @INTLTOOL_ICONV in string at ../../intltool-merge line 94.
Global symbol "@INTLTOOL_ICONV" requires explicit package name at ../../intltool-merge line 94.
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at ../../intltool-merge line 251.
make[3]: *** [gimp-tips.xml] Error 9 make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/cvs/gimp/data/tips' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/cvs/gimp/data' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/cvs/gimp' make: *** [all] Error 2
---------------------------------------------------------- Nevertheless I was able to do a make install, halting at the same spot with the same message.

Earlier in my journey autogen.sh had complained about an obsolete intltool so I installed version 32 of that package.

BTW I switched from stable cvs to unstable by deleting the entire ~/cvs/gimp subdirectory and using the command cvs checkout -r HEAD gimp

I used this technique to avoid conflicts between versions.
The initial splash screen for the resulting Gimp says: Pixeldumper Developers Release 2.3

but the window displayed when I click help>about still says version 2.2.9

If anything else comes up of interest I will report back.

John R. Culleton
2005-06-29 11:32:21 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 01:14 pm, Simon Budig wrote:

John R. Culleton (john@wexfordpress.com) wrote:

Earlier in my journey autogen.sh had complained about an obsolete intltool so I installed version 32 of that package.

Did you rerun autogen.sh after updating intltool?

I removed the cvs/gimp directory
ran cvs checkout -r HEAD gimp
cd to new gimp subdirectory
ran autogen.sh
ran make
ran make install
(pls note post below)

BTW I switched from stable cvs to unstable by deleting the entire ~/cvs/gimp subdirectory and using the command cvs checkout -r HEAD gimp

The initial splash screen for the resulting Gimp says: Pixeldumper Developers Release 2.3

It seems you installed the old and the new gimp in the same prefix. The about dialog should say 2.3.1.

Since I deleted the entire gimp subdirectory I don't see how this could be.

Make sure that you read the file HACKING and INSTALL in CVS.

Looking for them now.

Bye,
Simon

John R. Culleton
2005-06-29 13:40:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 08:52 am, John R. Culleton wrote:

thought it was time to rename the thread since I have gone past the problems with pygtk.

It seems that the error reported earlier prevented final compilation so I had unstable splash screens but still the same old 2.2 Gimp in actuality.

Back to the drawing board. :

Simon Budig
2005-06-29 15:14:42 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

John R. Culleton (john@wexfordpress.com) wrote:

Did you rerun autogen.sh after updating intltool?

It seems you installed the old and the new gimp in the same prefix. The about dialog should say 2.3.1.

Make sure that you read the file HACKING and INSTALL in CVS.

Bye, Simon

John R. Culleton
2005-06-29 16:41:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 03:59 pm, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 08:40, John R. Culleton wrote:

It seems that the error reported earlier prevented final compilation so I had unstable splash screens but still the same old 2.2 Gimp in actuality.

Are you running the program as "gimp-2.3" ?

"gimp" is just a symbolic link to the actual binary, and the unstable versions to not replace this link to themselves.

That indeed was part of the problem. The rest revolves around intltool. Gim unstable wouldn't take version 30. So I upgraded to version 32.1 That gave problems with both cvs downloads.

Now I have upgraded to 33 (which comes with the 2.3.1 gimp tarball BTW) and now stable will compile and install without complaint.

I still have the 2.3.1 tarball version in a separate directory so in an emergency I can recompile in a hurry over there.

sam ende
2005-06-29 17:55:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 12:40, John R. Culleton wrote:

poor you :(. i am reading this thread with interest and am thinking of having a go myself but i am reluctant to do this incase it overwrites my current installation. can i install, or try to install the gimp 2.2.7 in a seperate folder/dir which will not interfere or overwrite the current working version of gimp i have ?

sammi

John R. Culleton
2005-06-29 17:57:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 02:41 pm, John R. Culleton wrote: upgraded to

version 32.1 That gave problems with both cvs downloads.

Now I have upgraded to 33 (which comes with the 2.3.1 gimp tarball BTW) and now stable will compile and install without complaint.

I still have the 2.3.1 tarball version in a separate directory so in an emergency I can recompile in a hurry over there.

At this moment I have unstable (2.3.2) compiled and installed and everything seems to be copasetic. The intltool gotcha should be noted by anyone going this route. And of course I had to check date and times and relink gimp and gimp-remote to the latest versions.

Thanks to Carol, Sven and Joao among others. Come on in folks, and dive in the pool, the unstable water is fine :)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-06-29 17:59:31 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

"gimp" is just a symbolic link to the actual binary, and the unstable versions to not replace this link to themselves.

Carol Spears
2005-06-29 20:38:42 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:55:16PM +0100, sam ende wrote:

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 12:40, John R. Culleton wrote:

poor you :(. i am reading this thread with interest and am thinking of having a go myself but i am reluctant to do this incase it overwrites my current installation. can i install, or try to install the gimp 2.2.7 in a seperate folder/dir which will not interfere or overwrite the current working version of gimp i have ?

that jumps into advanced building skills.

did you get your current installed gimp from a distribution? it should be easy to remove and reinstall such a gimp.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-06-29 20:39:57 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:59:31PM -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

this is a good point.

there is a configure option to make it the default gimp.

carol

michael chang
2005-06-30 15:15:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

It violates the principle that stuff in /usr should only be controlled by the package manager.

Explain to me how this makes sense if by default, my builds go to /usr/local/... ? That *IS* in /usr, last I checked, and this is the default build prefix for 99% of applications AFAIK. Unless /usr/local isn't in /usr.

If you'd used a pygtk package for your system instead of building your own (assuming one exists), the .pc file would indeed be in /usr.

If not, shouldn't it be in /usr/local?

michael chang
2005-06-30 15:18:55 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

pygtk and 2.3.1

My apologies, I didn't read the last post before sending this. Next time I'll read all the posts before saying anything.

On 6/30/05, michael chang wrote:

Explain to me how this makes sense if by default, my builds go to /usr/local/... ? That *IS* in /usr, last I checked, and this is the default build prefix for 99% of applications AFAIK. Unless /usr/local isn't in /usr.

If not, shouldn't it be in /usr/local?

-- ~Mike