RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Enlarging canvas to hold a photo caption

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Enlarging canvas to hold a photo caption bluejay41 11 Feb 22:10
  Enlarging canvas to hold a photo caption bluejay41 12 Feb 00:20
2021-02-11 22:10:14 UTC (about 3 years ago)
postings

I like to create a photo image to print on 8.5x11 inch paper (roughly A3). I want to print a test image, then go back into GIMP and add a little space across the bottom of the photo to include a caption which holds just a few words, incl a copyright notice.

This was easy to do in .psd and I think I've also done this in GIMP, but now cannot remember how. I tried enlarging the "canvas", which creates the strip across the bottom OK, but it is transparent. How can I make it white? Bucket fill doesn't work. Creating an rectangular selection doesn't work. Just starting the text tool doesn't work. I need a white background on which I use the text tool to write my caption. Maybe I can create the space by enlarging the existing image content rather than enlarging the canvas, but how? Or if I enlarge the underlying canvas, how can I paint it white and then use the text tool?

Thousands of other photographers must know how to do this, please tell me the easiest way in GIMP.

Thanks! bluejay41

2021-02-12 00:20:23 UTC (about 3 years ago)
postings

I like to create a photo image to print on 8.5x11 inch paper (roughly A3). I want to print a test image, then go back into GIMP and add a little space across the bottom of the photo to include a caption which holds just a few words, incl a copyright notice.

Thanks!

bluejay41

User error! An option changed between old versions, and now it works correctly. Thanks. bluejay41