RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Blurry Reduced Images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Blurry Reduced Images squashblossom 13 Sep 00:24
  Blurry Reduced Images squashblossom 15 Sep 14:20
  Blurry Reduced Images squashblossom 15 Sep 14:24
   Blurry Reduced Images rich404 15 Sep 16:48
squashblossom
2020-09-13 00:24:17 UTC (over 3 years ago)

Blurry Reduced Images

I can't seem to get sharp raster images when I reduce them. I scan hand-drawn illustrations at 1200 dpi. I am reducing the images to sticker size, very small, to fit on a 5 inch x 5 1/4 inch sheet. When I insert them they are too pixelated. My resolution is 300 pixels/inch. I am using Win10 and Gimp 2.10.18 (because the newer version has a serious .XCF saving bug that has not been fixed yet).

squashblossom
2020-09-15 14:20:41 UTC (over 3 years ago)

Blurry Reduced Images

I can't seem to get sharp raster images when I reduce them. I scan hand-drawn illustrations at 1200 dpi. I am reducing the images to sticker size, very small, to fit on a 5 inch x 5 1/4 inch sheet. When I insert them they are too pixelated. My resolution is 300 pixels/inch. I am using Win10 and Gimp 2.10.18 (because the newer version has a serious .XCF saving bug that has not been fixed yet).

squashblossom
2020-09-15 14:24:27 UTC (over 3 years ago)

Blurry Reduced Images

I have to say I'm disappointed in not getting any replies to help me with my problem. I thought this would be a good place to find help, but guess not.

rich404
2020-09-15 16:48:29 UTC (over 3 years ago)

Blurry Reduced Images

I have to say I'm disappointed in not getting any replies to help me with my problem. I thought this would be a good place to find help, but guess not.

You should not be too surprised

1. Difficult to comment on an unknown drawing. It might be solid blocks of colour, bold line work or it might be a maze of faint lines.

2. Scaling up or down means Gimp interpolates pixels. That will always introduce a degree of fuzziness. The more the degree of scaling, the more the interpolation, more degradation. Sometimes it is possible to sharpen.

3. Gimp is a raster editor, works in pixels. Rule-of-thumb for photographic quality is 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) No need to to scan a 5 x 5.25 inch drawing at 1200 ppi = 6000 x 6300 pixels.

Scan 5" x 5.25" @ 300 ppi = 1500 x 1575 pix is sufficient and no need for scaling.

4. It is a label. Omit any text from your drawing and enter text using Gimp.

5. This'forum' is a link to a mailing list and somewhat outdated. There are other Gimp forums which will give better answers.