RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Constrain While Handle Transform?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Constrain While Handle Transform? MSINDC 07 Jul 01:04
  Constrain While Handle Transform? rich404 07 Jul 12:39
2020-07-07 01:04:15 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

Friends:

GIMP allows us to constrain a crop so that the cropped image is 1:1 or 4:3 or whatever.

I need to constrain a Transform.

I am photographing art and using transform to fix parallax errors. This is how I am doing it:

1. Add a vertical guideline that intersects the first corner. 2. Add a horizontal guideline that intersects the first corner. 3. With the Handle Transform too, mark the first corner. 4. With the Handle Transform too, mark the second corner. 5. Add a vertical guideline that intersects the third corner. 6. Add a horizontal guideline that intersects the third corner. 7. With the Handle Transform too, mark the third corner. 8. With the Handle Transform too, mark the fourth corner.

With that prep, I can now transform to make my image squared-up by moving the marks on the second and fourth corners to the intersection of the guidelines.

The problem is that this usually creates a squashed or stretched image. In other words, after doing it, if I Crop set to constrain to 1:1, the crop will not align with all four edges.

I am able to fix this by repeating my Handle Transform such that the four edges align with the constrained crop--but what I would really like to be able to do is to constrain my handle transform. Or draw guidelines that comport to constrained settings (like 1:1 for a square).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

-MS

rich404
2020-07-07 12:39:47 UTC (almost 4 years ago)

Friends:

GIMP allows us to constrain a crop so that the cropped image is 1:1 or 4:3 or whatever.

I need to constrain a Transform.

....snip...

The problem is that this usually creates a squashed or stretched image. In other words, after doing it, if I Crop set to constrain to 1:1, the crop will not align with all four edges.

I am able to fix this by repeating my Handle Transform such that the four edges align with the constrained crop--but what I would really like to be able to do is to constrain my handle transform. Or draw guidelines that comport to constrained settings (like 1:1 for a square).

As far as I know there is no way to constrain the handle-transform tool. The only modifiers seem to be shift to move a handle and ctrl to delete one.

You can create the guides in one go by first making a rectangular selection and providing you know the required aspect ratio, set that in the tool options, then Image -> Guides -> New Guides from Selection.

That gives the four corners which the handles will snap to. A quick example https://youtu.be/GyuuzOSziHk 1min 30 seconds

That avoids using the same tool twice, the idea of the handle transform (and unified transform) being everything is done in one operation minimizing degradation.