RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problems with 2.10, return to 2.8 ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problems with 2.10, return to 2.8 ? fv6973 25 May 11:33
  Problems with 2.10, return to 2.8 ? rich404 25 May 13:15
   Problems with 2.10, return to 2.8 ? fv6973 25 May 19:06
2020-05-25 11:33:47 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

Hi,

I've just changed my OS version (Kubuntu 20.04 LTS amd64) and my version of Gimp has changed too (2.10). This version causes me some problems: - Icons almost unreadable, light grey. In 2.8 they were in color, easy to dicerner. - I can’t change the language in preferences but the system language is good (French). Is there a language pack? - I can’t find all the tools, especially the one that allows you to select all the ranges of a certain color in the image (and not just the magic wand, which only selects one area). - Tool options are in a separate window, not with the rest.

Can it be changed? If not, I would like to return to the 2.8, which I preferred, is there a way to do it ? If (I looked for it and I did not find the 2.8 Linux version).

Thanks for your help.

rich404
2020-05-25 13:15:58 UTC (almost 4 years ago)

Hi,

I've just changed my OS version (Kubuntu 20.04 LTS amd64) and my version of Gimp has changed too (2.10). This version causes me some problems:
- Icons almost unreadable, light grey. In 2.8 they were in color, easy to dicerner.
- I can’t change the language in preferences but the system language is good (French). Is there a language pack? - I can’t find all the tools, especially the one that allows you to select all the ranges of a certain color in the image (and not just the magic wand, which only selects one area). - Tool options are in a separate window, not with the rest.

Can it be changed? If not, I would like to return to the 2.8, which I preferred, is there a way to do it ? If (I looked for it and I did not find the 2.8 Linux version).

Thanks for your help.

There is no Gimp 2.8.x for kubuntu 20.04. You have to revert to installing kubuntu 18.04 where the default is Gimp 2.8.22

But things move on and Gimp 2.10.18 interface is very customisable. Some screenshots that might help

https://i.imgur.com/vzgY4Hc.jpg

The tools in the tool box are organised in groups, click in the group to get a drop-down then choose. (1)

To change the appearance use Edit ->< Preferences.

In Interface -> Icon Theme (2) change to color and set a custom icon size if required (3)

For separate tools Interface -> Toolbox and untick Use tool groups (4)

https://i.imgur.com/8Os71uC.jpg

There are more tools than Gimp 2.8 you might want to hide some, toggle visibility in Tool configuration (5) You can still access them via the menus.

Then if you want to get rid of the dismal black theme, change that as well Interface -> Theme (5)

Remember to OK before closing the dialogue.

I can not help with the language problem. Someone might come up with a solution. You would be better off asking on one of the more regular Gimp forums.

2020-05-25 19:06:32 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

Thank y ou very much for your help, it's exactly what I needed !!

There is no Gimp 2.8.x for kubuntu 20.04. You have to revert to installing kubuntu 18.04 where the default is Gimp 2.8.22

But things move on and Gimp 2.10.18 interface is very customisable. Some screenshots that might help

https://i.imgur.com/vzgY4Hc.jpg

The tools in the tool box are organised in groups, click in the group to get a drop-down then choose. (1)

To change the appearance use Edit ->< Preferences.

In Interface -> Icon Theme (2) change to color and set a custom icon size if required (3)

For separate tools Interface -> Toolbox and untick Use tool groups (4)

https://i.imgur.com/8Os71uC.jpg

There are more tools than Gimp 2.8 you might want to hide some, toggle visibility in Tool configuration (5) You can still access them via the menus.

Then if you want to get rid of the dismal black theme, change that as well Interface -> Theme (5)

Remember to OK before closing the dialogue.

I can not help with the language problem. Someone might come up with a solution. You would be better off asking on one of the more regular Gimp forums.