RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Include external images by reference?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Include external images by reference? Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list 03 Apr 17:38
  Include external images by reference? Ofnuts 03 Apr 20:54
  Include external images by reference? Rick Strong 03 Apr 21:19
  Include external images by reference? Liam R E Quin 03 Apr 21:59
Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list
2020-04-03 17:38:14 UTC (about 4 years ago)

Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images by reference, for example as layers? That is, to "link" to external images, rather than to import them directly into a GIMP image, so that changing the external image would also change the GIMP image.

For example, I'd like to be able to have a "cards.xcf" which incorporates "diamond.png", "spade.png", etc., by reference, so I could experiment with various .png files and see how they affect the final GIMP image. The .xcf file would, in essence, define the overall structure, but the components would be flexible.

Thanks, Joel

Ofnuts
2020-04-03 20:54:50 UTC (about 4 years ago)

On 03/04/2020 19:38, Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list wrote:

Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images by reference, for example as layers? That is, to "link" to external images, rather than to import them directly into a GIMP image, so that changing the external image would also change the GIMP image.

For example, I'd like to be able to have a "cards.xcf" which incorporates "diamond.png", "spade.png", etc., by reference, so I could experiment with various .png files and see how they affect the final GIMP image. The .xcf file would, in essence, define the overall structure, but the components would be flexible.

Can't be done AFAIK.

Rick Strong
2020-04-03 21:19:20 UTC (about 4 years ago)

I really like GIMP and have used it for a few years.

For layout of text though, including linked images, I like Affinity Publisher. They currently have a 90 day free trial or 50% off offer going. Windows or Mac: $35.00 US.
A bit of a learning curve of course but there is a very helpful forum for your questions and Affinity video tutorials. https://affinity.serif.com

Give it a try. Rick S.
Ottawa

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list Sent: Friday, April 03, 2020 1:38 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Include external images by reference?

Thanks, Joel

Liam R E Quin
2020-04-03 21:59:47 UTC (about 4 years ago)

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 17:38 +0000, Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list wrote:

Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images by reference, for example as layers?

No, although you can do this with SVG, and it's supported in Inkscape.

ankh

Liam Quin - webslave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Full time slave in voluntary servitude