RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

High precision color picker

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

High precision color picker Elliott Balsley 09 Jan 00:11
  High precision color picker Ofnuts 09 Jan 00:44
   High precision color picker Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list 09 Jan 06:35
Elliott Balsley
2020-01-09 00:11:35 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Hello. I am trying to create technical test patterns, so I would like to specify colors by entering 16-bit RGB values. Is this possible in Gimp? I just installed it for the first time and it looks like the color picker is limited to 8-bit values 0-255. Photoshop is also limited in this way, which is why I am trying other apps.

Ofnuts
2020-01-09 00:44:47 UTC (over 4 years ago)

In Gimp the color selector can be use with a 0-255 integer range or as percent (3 digits: 12.3%) that give a bit more precision.

In scripts there is not limit to the precision of the color you enter as floating point (but widgets that will display the values will round it). For instance in Python:

import gimpcolor pdb.gimp_context_set_foreground(gimpcolor.RGB(.51256,.51257,.51258))

Of course this is only useful in high-precision image, and there is no guarantee that the underlying computations use all the precision, but also no good reason to not do so.

On 1/9/20 1:11 AM, Elliott Balsley wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create technical test patterns, so I would like to specify colors by entering 16-bit RGB values. Is this possible in Gimp? I just installed it for the first time and it looks like the color picker is limited to 8-bit values 0-255. Photoshop is also limited in this way, which is why I am trying other apps. _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
2020-01-09 06:35:20 UTC (over 4 years ago)

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 3:45 AM Ofnuts wrote:

In Gimp the color selector can be use with a 0-255 integer range or as percent (3 digits: 12.3%) that give a bit more precision.

I would strongly advise using the Pixel option instead. It gives exactly the precision of the actual pixel data.

So if the image is 16-bit float, this will yield (0,014557;0,053680;0,827148) for what is (32;66;235) in RGB. That should be precise enough :)

Alex