RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adding text to digital photos?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adding text to digital photos? Mary Throne via gimp-user-list 04 Dec 18:55
  Adding text to digital photos? Rick Strong 07 Dec 16:56
Mary Throne via gimp-user-list
2019-12-04 18:55:55 UTC (over 4 years ago)

I am new to Gimp, a friend suggested it. I am afraid it is a bit above my skill level! All I am looking to do is add text/date to my digital photos that will be visible when I play them on my digital frame/smart TV.

Is there a very basic way to do this?

~Mary Throne

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rick Strong
2019-12-07 16:56:21 UTC (over 4 years ago)

The short answer is get your friend to do it.

However, if you are having trouble seeing your type, try scaling your photos, which I presume are 72 dpi, up to 300 dpi. Then set the type size at 24 pt (points). You should be able to see it then.

Scaling is done under menu item "Image > Scale Image..." "X & Y resolutions pixels/in". The type tool is the big "A". draw a box and start typing. I suggest you use yellow at first, it stand out against anything. You can select your text and change the colour later.

Export the finished changes to "Export As..." to jpg at a size to fit your frame/TV.

Play around with a scrap image (or a duplicate of one you want to keep) first. There is a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck, Rick S

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Throne via gimp-user-list Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2019 1:55 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Adding text to digital photos?

I am new to Gimp, a friend suggested it. I am afraid it is a bit above my skill level! All I am looking to do is add text/date to my digital photos that will be visible when I play them on my digital frame/smart TV.

Is there a very basic way to do this?

~Mary Throne

Sent from Mail for Windows 10