RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Thickening/darkening lines of scanned images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Thickening/darkening lines of scanned images Chungster 05 Jul 21:38
  Thickening/darkening lines of scanned images rich404 06 Jul 10:08
   Thickening/darkening lines of scanned images Chungster 07 Jul 05:23
2019-07-05 21:38:55 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Hello

I’m a newbie to Gimp. Please could you help!

I’ve collated self portraits from a class of 30 pupils to create artwork for a printed tea towel. Each self portrait is very different, varying from, pencil, felt tip pens, crayons to biro. Some black and white, most are in colour. Every picture has been scanned in ready to create the artwork.

My problem is, how can I thicken and darken very thin/faint lines of scanned images? And is there a quick way of doing this? I really don’t want to be using a paint brush/or pencil tool going round each image, as this will take me a very long time!

Thanks

rich404
2019-07-06 10:08:12 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Hello

I’m a newbie to Gimp. Please could you help!

I’ve collated self portraits from a class of 30 pupils to create artwork for a printed tea towel. Each self portrait is very different, varying from, pencil, felt tip pens, crayons to biro. Some black and white, most are in colour. Every picture has been scanned in ready to create the artwork.

My problem is, how can I thicken and darken very thin/faint lines of scanned images? And is there a quick way of doing this? I really don’t want to be using a paint brush/or pencil tool going round each image, as this will take me a very long time!

Thanks

As with everything graphics, all depends on the image(s). Assuming Gimp 2.10 and Windows

First thing to try is Filters -> Generic -> Erode which grows dark areas. Try applying a couple of times. See: comparison screenshot.

If they are reasonably clean scans then you should get a result. Otherwise:

For something more sophisticated but still easy to use, try the Gimp gmic plug-in www.gmic.eu There is a Windows installer for Gimp 2.10. This has hundreds of filters for various effects but there is one - repair scanned documents. See: screenshot. Adjust sliders to suit.

2019-07-07 05:23:01 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

As with everything graphics, all depends on the image(s). Assuming Gimp 2.10 and Windows

First thing to try is Filters -> Generic -> Erode which grows dark areas. Try applying a couple of times. See: comparison screenshot.

If they are reasonably clean scans then you should get a result. Otherwise:

For something more sophisticated but still easy to use, try the Gimp gmic plug-in www.gmic.eu There is a Windows installer for Gimp 2.10. This has hundreds of filters for various effects but there is one - repair scanned documents. See: screenshot. Adjust sliders to suit.

Thanks so much, really helpful.