RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Customizing the View settings

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Customizing the View settings zeira 10 Jun 18:20
  Customizing the View settings GimpUser007 10 Jun 19:49
  Customizing the View settings rich404 12 Jun 11:12
2019-06-10 18:20:48 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

I just started to use GIMP and now I have my first question. I open a file which is empty and use it to open other files as layers. I set up the grids for this file and make them visible. I work on the file, save it under another name, then close it. When I open the same file again the grids are not visible, so any time the file is opened I have to make the grids visible (View-->Show grid), an annoyance. Is there any way to save the setting for this file only which would include visible grids? Photoshop has that useful feature.
A more general question: can I customize the View settings and save them for future reference?

2019-06-10 19:49:44 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

I just started to use GIMP and now I have my first question. I open a file which is empty and use it to open other files as layers. I set up the grids for this file and make them visible. I work on the file, save it under another name, then close it. When I open the same file again the grids are not visible, so any time the file is opened I have to make the grids visible (View-->Show grid), an annoyance.
Is there any way to save the setting for this file only which would include visible grids?
Photoshop has that useful feature.
A more general question: can I customize the View settings and save them for future reference?

I don't think Gimp is as advanced as Adobe Phototshop Most likely it is impossible, at least I could not do it

rich404
2019-06-12 11:12:54 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

I just started to use GIMP and now I have my first question. I open a file which is empty and use it to open other files as layers. I set up the grids for this file and make them visible. I work on the file, save it under another name, then close it. When I open the same file again the grids are not visible, so any time the file is opened I have to make the grids visible (View-->Show grid), an annoyance.
Is there any way to save the setting for this file only which would include visible grids?
Photoshop has that useful feature.

Gimp is not a copy/clone of Photoshop so expect differences

While Image -> Configure Grid settings are retained when saved as an .xcf file, the switch to toggle view on/off is not. Maybe ask for this to be added as a feature: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/ (but do not hold your breath)

View -> Show Grid is enabled permanently from the Preferences Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Appearance. All the other options are there as well.

Since this is a global setting applied to any image you might want to set the Default Grid size to something more than 10 pixels. Edit -> Preferences -> Default Image -> Default Grid.

example: https://imgur.com/91HQIQ1.jpg

Newcomers to Gimp have been baffled by a large image opening as completely black - the grid covering everything - yes it has happened.

A better way if you do not want to dive into the view menu might be set up a hot-key to toggle the grid on/off. Most keys are already assigned, use one you will never miss

example: https://imgur.com/1azFetI.jpg