RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp Plugins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp Plugins Carusoswi 07 Jun 05:49
  Gimp Plugins rich404 07 Jun 08:14
   Gimp Plugins Carusoswi 07 Jun 19:48
    Gimp Plugins rich404 08 Jun 10:51
     Gimp Plugins Carusoswi 09 Jun 21:45
      Gimp Plugins rich404 10 Jun 08:49
       Gimp Plugins Carusoswi 10 Jun 09:16
2019-06-07 05:49:38 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

Gimp Plugins

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative. I have used Gimp since its early days, but never learned how to install plugins. I have looked at some sites that list the "x" number of best plugins for Gimp, but I do not know how to go about installing them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Caruso

rich404
2019-06-07 08:14:00 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

Gimp Plugins

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative. I have used Gimp since its early days, but never learned how to install plugins. I have looked at some sites that list the "x" number of best plugins for Gimp, but I do not know how to go about installing them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Caruso

From previous posts

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/11905-installing-2-6-7-in-ubuntu

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/15347-adding-plugin-frustration

You were using linux and ubuntu then. Is that still the case? Assuming (big assumption) you have updated over the years and are now using Gimp 2.10

Generally, plugins either pre-compiled (binary) or python scripts, go in your Gimp user profile. The hidden folder in your home partition/directory ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins These plugins have to set as executable.

The sites that list 'x' best plugins are mostly for Windows users and links are to Windows plugins. The python plugins should work (but not always), compiled (Windows) binaries, no good in linux although there might be linux versions.

Where to get linux plugins? Depends on your linux distribution. Some binary plugins are packaged (.deb or .rpm depending on distro) many not.

Traditionally linux users compile their own. Is this what your question is really about? Not always straightforward.

Python plugins are widely available, depends on your interests. A search usually finds some reference.

Give more information, Gimp version / Linux distro and if 32 or 64 bit / some of those 'x' best plugins and you might get some leads.

2019-06-07 19:48:03 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

Gimp Plugins

Thanks for the response. I am running Ubuntu 19.04 64 bit. GIMP is version 10.10.10. When I navigate to ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins and run 'ls', there are no files that show up. In GIMP, if I follow the Filters dropdown menu to Python or Script-fu, there is little there other than Console/Console-Refresh Scripts-Start Server.

I would like to install GimpLensFun, G'Mic (which I understand is a plugin), and explore some of the other offerings. I do not find any GIMP plugins available in the Ubuntu software center, and, as you seem to indicate, my online search returned plugins that I guess are for the Windows version of GIMP.

GIMP 10.10 "flogged my eyes" such that I took serious notice of darktable which, in the first 10.10 GIMP that I installed was called as the RAW converter whenever I clicked on a RAW file to open it in GIMP.

I am very happy to have become acquainted with darktable, but have not spent much time in GIMP lately.

I don't ask you to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction. When you say that plugins in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins folder have to be set to executable, I understand what you mean, but have never set anything to executable, so have no idea what I would be looking for or how to "flip the switch."

I apologize for not giving you a better description of my setup in my original post, but would appreciate if, given what I have described here, you could provide a few more clues.

Thanks.

Caruso

From previous posts

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/11905-installing-2-6-7-in-ubuntu

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/15347-adding-plugin-frustration

You were using linux and ubuntu then. Is that still the case? Assuming (big assumption) you have updated over the years and are now using Gimp 2.10

Generally, plugins either pre-compiled (binary) or python scripts, go in your Gimp user profile. The hidden folder in your home partition/directory ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins These plugins have to set as executable.

The sites that list 'x' best plugins are mostly for Windows users and links are to Windows plugins. The python plugins should work (but not always), compiled (Windows) binaries, no good in linux although there might be linux versions.

Where to get linux plugins? Depends on your linux distribution. Some binary plugins are packaged (.deb or .rpm depending on distro) many not.

Traditionally linux users compile their own. Is this what your question is really about? Not always straightforward.

Python plugins are widely available, depends on your interests. A search usually finds some reference.

Give more information, Gimp version / Linux distro and if 32 or 64 bit / some of those 'x' best plugins and you might get some leads.

rich404
2019-06-08 10:51:41 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

Gimp Plugins

Thanks for the response. I am running Ubuntu 19.04 64 bit. GIMP is version 10.10.10. When I navigate to ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins and run 'ls', there are no files that show up. In GIMP, if I follow the Filters dropdown menu to Python or Script-fu, there is little there other than Console/Console-Refresh Scripts-Start Server.

I prefer a long-term-support (LTS) version and use (k)ubuntu 18.04. Each new ubuntu seems a little more MS-dumbed-down than the previous, but a bit of checking in Ubuntu 19.04

Any version, folders in ~.config/GIMP/2.10 are empty. They are for any resources, scripts - plugins - fonts - brushes... that you want to add to your Gimp installation.

The Script-Fu & Python terminals are really there only if you want to write your own scripts. Installed Gimp scripts and plugins are run via the Gimp menu structure **not** started on their own or from those terminals.

I would like to install GimpLensFun, G'Mic (which I understand is a plugin), and explore some of the other offerings. I do not find any GIMP plugins available in the Ubuntu software center, and, as you seem to indicate, my online search returned plugins that I guess are for the Windows version of GIMP.

GIMP 10.10 "flogged my eyes" such that I took serious notice of darktable which, in the first 10.10 GIMP that I installed was called as the RAW converter whenever I clicked on a RAW file to open it in GIMP.

That makes me wonder where you got your Gimp 2.10.10. The default in Ubuntu 19.04 is Gimp 2.10.8

I am very happy to have become acquainted with darktable, but have not spent much time in GIMP lately.

Gimp 2.10.10 can come via various routes, a 'snap' from ubuntu, a 'flatpak' from gimp.org, maybe a portable appimage or using an Ubuntu PPA repository. The snap/flatpak/appimage will work perfectly well but you will have difficulties installing any additional plugins especially the gmic_gimp_qt plugin and darktable intergration.

Better off with the PPA & failing that Gimp 2.10.8 from the main ubuntu repo. Bottom line - give details and advice can follow.

I don't ask you to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction.
When you say that plugins in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins folder have to be set to executable, I understand what you mean, but have never set anything to executable, so have no idea what I would be looking for or how to "flip the switch."

Making plugins executable. The usual advice is chown in a terminal. However, just use your file browser. Right click on the file. Choose properties (1) Choose Permissions (2) Click on Execute toggle (3) As screenshot.

2019-06-09 21:45:18 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

Gimp Plugins

I prefer a long-term-support (LTS) version and use (k)ubuntu 18.04. Each new ubuntu seems a little more MS-dumbed-down than the previous, but a bit of checking in Ubuntu 19.04

Any version, folders in ~.config/GIMP/2.10 are empty. They are for any resources, scripts - plugins - fonts - brushes... that you want to add to your Gimp installation.

Installed Gimp scripts and plugins are run via the Gimp menu structure **not** started on their own or from those terminals.

So, I checkded all my GIMP menus and found nothing about Lens Fun, for example. Nothing about G’MIC, either, so I must be doing something wrong.

That makes me wonder where you got your Gimp 2.10.10. The default in Ubuntu 19.04 is Gimp 2.10.8

I read somewhere that it was available, I went to the Ubuntu software center, and it was there. I uninstalled the version of GIMP I had installed, and installed the new version. I just checked the software center again and confirmed that the GIMP I have installed is version 10.10.10, stable, updated 4/24/19.

Better off with the PPA & failing that Gimp 2.10.8 from the main ubuntu repo. Bottom line - give details and advice can follow.

I installed from PPAs to follow 2.9 development versions before 2.10 was available. My version seems to be working fine, I just seek to try out some of the available plugins. What details do you need in order to point me to the items about which I inquire? If G’MIC and GimpLensFun are not showing in my GIMP, am I missing them (as in are they there, I am just not looking in the right location), or need I get/install them. That is my question.

Making plugins executable. The usual advice is chown in a terminal. However, just use your file browser. Right click on the file. Choose properties (1) Choose Permissions (2) Click on Execute toggle (3) As screenshot.

You don’t say, but, I am guessing that, since I have not created any scripts, and becaused Installed Gimp scripts and plugins are run via the Gimp menu structure **not** started on their own or from those terminals, then this business of setting scripts to execute does not apply to what I am trying to accomplish. Is that correct?

I thank you for continuing to reply to this thread. Let me know what additional information I can offer so that you can point me in the right direction.

Caruso

rich404
2019-06-10 08:49:33 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

Gimp Plugins

Trying to keep this short

From the (awful) ubuntu software center, something like this screenshot(s) https://imgur.com/QGlCFx1.jpg

Standard is Gimp 2.10.8 after enabling a PPA gimp 2.10.10 So I am assuming that is what you are using, as stated 2.10.10

Not everything shows in the (awful) ubuntu software center: I am a bit old fashioned and also use a package manager to see what is there. screenshot: https://imgur.com/fnRtN5E.jpg both your requirements are there.

You will have to install using a terminal and these commands

sudo apt install gimp-gmic

This is a little old but will pull in all the dependencies and get you started. In use open an image, menu entry is bottom of the filters menu. Checked and working.

sudo apt install gimp-lensfun

Have not tried this one. might/might-not work. Usually the liblensfun packages are pulled in by Darktable or Rawtherapee and lens correction applied there before importing to Gimp.

Next a challenge for you. Installing plugins.

Go to this forum page:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2-10-Resynthesizer-Linux?pid=11261#pid11261

Download the zip file. Unzip to get 4 plugins. Put these in the Gimp user profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-install

Check in the Gimp menu structure. resynthesizer shows in Filters -> Map and the more used 'heal' python plugins in Filters -> Enhance. (not there? check that you have gimp-python installed)

2019-06-10 09:16:04 UTC (almost 5 years ago)
postings

Gimp Plugins

Curious why you find the software center "awful", but I appreciate the information provided in your post. Will work through it today to see what it delivers for my system.

I don't think I did anything special to get GIMP 10.10.10, nor can I comment on whether enabling PPA sources influences what one sees in the software center (I have never personally noticed such).

Thanks again for the reply. I am anxious to work through your suggestions.

Caruso

Trying to keep this short

From the (awful) ubuntu software center, something like this screenshot(s) https://imgur.com/QGlCFx1.jpg

Standard is Gimp 2.10.8 after enabling a PPA gimp 2.10.10 So I am assuming that is what you are using, as stated 2.10.10

Not everything shows in the (awful) ubuntu software center: I am a bit old fashioned and also use a package manager to see what is there. screenshot: https://imgur.com/fnRtN5E.jpg both your requirements are there.

You will have to install using a terminal and these commands

sudo apt install gimp-gmic

This is a little old but will pull in all the dependencies and get you started. In use open an image, menu entry is bottom of the filters menu. Checked and working.

sudo apt install gimp-lensfun

Have not tried this one. might/might-not work. Usually the liblensfun packages are pulled in by Darktable or Rawtherapee and lens correction applied there before importing to Gimp.

Next a challenge for you. Installing plugins.

Go to this forum page:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2-10-Resynthesizer-Linux?pid=11261#pid11261

Download the zip file. Unzip to get 4 plugins. Put these in the Gimp user profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-install

Check in the Gimp menu structure. resynthesizer shows in Filters -> Map and the more used 'heal' python plugins in Filters -> Enhance. (not there? check that you have gimp-python installed)