RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Missing dll when installing Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Missing dll when installing Gimp Lynkos 20 Mar 19:20
  Missing dll when installing Gimp rich404 20 Mar 20:54
   Missing dll when installing Gimp Lynkos 20 Mar 21:10
   Missing dll when installing Gimp JFeat 02 Aug 21:44
2019-03-20 19:20:31 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

I've just updated from Gimp 2.8 to Gimp 2.10.8 on Windows 10. The installation goes fine, but when I run the programme, I get a series of error messages referring to missing dll files: libtiff3.dll
libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll
glew32.dll
libfftw3-3.dll
liblar-1-0.dll
libpng15-15.dll
pcre3.dll
I believe these have to do with old plug-ins which I need to eliminate, then reload in the new compatible versions. But there are some 769 plugins listed in the plugin browser and I have no idea how to identify those causing the problems! Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

rich404
2019-03-20 20:54:37 UTC (about 5 years ago)

I've just updated from Gimp 2.8 to Gimp 2.10.8 on Windows 10. The installation goes fine, but when I run the programme, I get a series of error messages referring to missing dll files: libtiff3.dll
libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll
glew32.dll
libfftw3-3.dll
liblar-1-0.dll
libpng15-15.dll
pcre3.dll
I believe these have to do with old plug-ins which I need to eliminate, then reload in the new compatible versions. But there are some 769 plugins listed in the plugin browser and I have no idea how to identify those causing the problems! Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

When Gimp 2.10 is installed over an existing Gimp 2.8 The first run creates the Gimp 2.10 user profile

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

A Windows hidden folder. see:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Existing resources are also copied from C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ to the new profile.

The best way is start fresh.

Rename C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ to disable it (say .ggimp-2.8)

Delete the new profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Run Gimp 2.10 to create a new default Gimp user profile.

Not all old plugins/scripts work/work well in Gimp 2.10 Move one at a time over to the new user profile checking that they work.

pcre3.dll comes with BIMP There is a new version for Gimp 2.10 The others, maybe gmic, again there is a new version for Gimp 2.10

Avoid plugin installers that put files in the Gimp system folders. Bad Practice

2019-03-20 21:10:18 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

Absolutely perfect! Everything now runs smoothly. Can't wait to try the new Gimp, looks great. Many thanks, Sarah.

2020-08-02 21:44:09 UTC (over 3 years ago)
postings

When Gimp 2.10 is installed over an existing Gimp 2.8 The first run creates the Gimp 2.10 user profile

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

A Windows hidden folder. see:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Existing resources are also copied from C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ to the new profile.

The best way is start fresh.

Rename C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ to disable it (say .ggimp-2.8)

Delete the new profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Run Gimp 2.10 to create a new default Gimp user profile.

Not all old plugins/scripts work/work well in Gimp 2.10 Move one at a time over to the new user profile checking that they work.

pcre3.dll comes with BIMP There is a new version for Gimp 2.10 The others, maybe gmic, again there is a new version for Gimp 2.10

Avoid plugin installers that put files in the Gimp system folders. Bad Practice

What about a WIN 7 install? I have a number of files missing?