RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Move pointer with cursor keys

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1246189471.876313.154838609... 25 Jan 18:31
  Move pointer with cursor keys Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list 25 Jan 03:14
Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list
2019-01-25 03:14:54 UTC (about 5 years ago)

Move pointer with cursor keys

I would be extremely helpful if I could move the pointer with the arrow  keys instead of the mouse. Is there any means to achieve this?

I don't know what operating system you use, so the exact method of implementing the followingpotential solution will vary.It should be available for all three major operating systems. Mousekeys/pointerkeys  allows one to use various keys on the numeric keypad to move and clickthe mouse.The following link goes into much detail, including a very nice schematic of what button does what action:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_keys

I needed it myself once, when a Linux kernel update constantly made my USB-connected mouse stop working. I have a version of Linux (Lubuntu), and have just verified that at least the temporary activation works. If you have a version of Linux, and you go to your terminal program, and type the following, and then press ,you should be able to turn mousekeys on, and then use the keys shown in the schematic to move the mousearound and click:setxkbmap -option keypad:pointerkeys

The Wikipedia page indicates that turning it on and off is accomplished by pressing ( may not be necessary)(note also, that it has been my experience that you will probably fairly often need to turn it on again, because something or other seems to turn it off...)Once it is on, pressing the keypad key will cause the mouse pointer to go up (and keeping it held down will causeit to accelerate), pressing will cause the mouse pointer to go diagonally down and to the right, etc.I would assume (but do not know) that just a single press might make the mouse pointer go just one pixel.You will just have to try and see if it does what you want. If this is what you want, and you have Linux, then create a file in your text-editor as root (use sudo)with the following contents: @page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.08in } a:link { so-language: zxx } Section"InputClass" Identifier "PointerKeys" MatchIsKeyboard "yes" Option "XkbOptions" "keypad:pointerkeys"EndSectionand call the file: @page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.08in } a:link { so-language: zxx } 20-pointerkeys.confand put it into the directory/folder: @page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.08in } a:link { so-language: zxx } /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/then mousekeys/pointerkeys will be all set up ready to go every time you boot (or log in?) You'll still have to turn it on.
(note that the exact filename is unimportant (call it "20-peanutbutter", if you like"), but the numberapparently ought to be 20, or near that, anyway - the number indicates in what order the files in thedirectory should be read by X) If you don't have Linux, then read through more of the Wikipedia page, and/or Google your OS and  "mousekeys" or "pointerkeys".