RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

FIle size jump when opening file

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

FIle size jump when opening file wolfgrrl 14 Jan 14:37
  FIle size jump when opening file rich404 14 Jan 17:54
   FIle size jump when opening file wolfgrrl 14 Jan 17:56
    FIle size jump when opening file rich404 14 Jan 18:18
2019-01-14 14:37:12 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

I work on tif files for work, and have noticed something that was not present in previous versions of Gimp (2.8, for example).

The actual tif file size is 642KB. When I open it to edit it, Gimp is stating in the bottom bar that this file's size is 681 MB, and while editing the file, it is acting like it's 681 MB. It's slow and very laggy to complete commands.

I've been using Gimp at work since 2012 and the most recent version of Gimp has slowed down my workflow considerably.

Why does Gimp think it's editing a file this large when it's really not?

Thank you!

rich404
2019-01-14 17:54:21 UTC (over 5 years ago)

I work on tif files for work, and have noticed something that was not present in previous versions of Gimp (2.8, for example).

The actual tif file size is 642KB. When I open it to edit it, Gimp is stating in the bottom bar that this file's size is 681 MB, and while editing the file, it is acting like it's 681 MB. It's slow and very laggy to complete commands.

I've been using Gimp at work since 2012 and the most recent version of Gimp has slowed down my workflow considerably.

Why does Gimp think it's editing a file this large when it's really not?

Thank you!

Best guess. Are they transmittals (or maybe archives), typically engineering drawings 1 bit tiff files?

These are going to be opened in gimp as 8 bit and the file size correspondingly greater. Example file size 11kb in Gimp as a file in memory 30 MB.

After editing export as a CCITT group 4 and you should get back to a corresponding small file size

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2019-01-14 17:56:40 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Yes, they are engineering files.

While I understand the logic, that doesn't explain the fact of the considerable editing slowdown on the latest version of Gimp.

I know that 2.8 did not lag this bad.

Any thoughts on that issue?

Thank you!

Best guess. Are they transmittals (or maybe archives), typically engineering drawings 1 bit tiff files?

These are going to be opened in gimp as 8 bit and the file size correspondingly greater. Example file size 11kb in Gimp as a file in memory 30 MB.

After editing export as a CCITT group 4 and you should get back to a corresponding small file size

rich404
2019-01-14 18:18:18 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Yes, they are engineering files.

While I understand the logic, that doesn't explain the fact of the considerable editing slowdown on the latest version of Gimp.

I know that 2.8 did not lag this bad.

Any thoughts on that issue?

Thank you!

I do not know. I use linux and generally large files edit ok. You could go into Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources and tinker with the settings. Set 'Number of Threads to Use' to 1 (or some other value) see if it makes a difference.

Maybe someone will have an answer.