RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10 Henk Koning via gimp-user-list 29 Nov 22:48
Henk Koning via gimp-user-list
2018-11-29 22:48:35 UTC (over 5 years ago)

different Vignette parameters 2.8 vs 2.10

Dear All,

I am new to this list.

I have a question about the Vignette filter.

In 2.8 onder Tools, GECL tools, I often used Vignette. Mostly with a Radiance of 1.6 or 1.7, a Softness of .8 and Gamma 1,2 or 3. I have the habit of recording the non-default values in the new layer and/or in the name of the exported jpg. In that way I can always trace back the steps from the original image, and recreate a desired effect with the same parameter values in another situation.

Now I am over to GIMP 2.10 and I find that the Vignette option under Filters does not work in the same way! The same values of the parameters have a different outcome. That is very annoying. Now I have to remember for all my images with which version of GIMP they were made.

In fact, even worse, the new Vignette filter is much less usable for me. The maximum value of Softness is 1 and it still creates a rather sharp border to the darker vignette area's in the corners. I prefer a much softer transition from the center of the image to the made darker corners of the image. I prefer a very mild vignette effect, which is even not noticeable for the untrained eye, but which still gives a focus on the center of the image and a little more dynamic in the light.

Question: is there a way to have in 2.10 the same Vignette result, with the same parameter values, as in 2.8 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Henk