RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Best way to upscale an image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Best way to upscale an image Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list 10 Nov 10:02
  Best way to upscale an image Kevin Cozens 10 Nov 16:21
  Best way to upscale an image Liam R E Quin 10 Nov 20:36
Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list
2018-11-10 10:02:02 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi,
for a photobook I need to upscale an image (showing a landscape) by a factor of 2.
What are good (best?) methods to do so with Gimp, GMIC or other tools (I'd prefer
open source on a Linux machine)

I've read about neural network algorithms. Are they usable for larger (7MP) images without
enormous computer power?

Many thanks for your recommendation, Helmut

Kevin Cozens
2018-11-10 16:21:24 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On 2018-11-10 5:02 a.m., Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list wrote:

for a photobook I need to upscale an image (showing a landscape) by a factor of 2. What are good (best?) methods to do so with Gimp

In GIMP you could try using the liquid rescale plug-in. You would have better results if there was a larger version of the image and you could scale it down. Making it twice the size may not work out as well as you might like for use in a book.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include      |             --Chris Hardwick
Liam R E Quin
2018-11-10 20:36:03 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Sat, 2018-11-10 at 11:02 +0100, Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list wrote:

for a photobook I need to upscale an image (showing a landscape) by a factor of 2.

Usually fine art prints in books are done on a 144 or 150 line screen, and normally you want twice the lines-per-inch resolution, which means you need to aim for 300 image pixels per printed inch.

What are good (best?) methods to do so with Gimp, GMIC or other tools (I'd prefer open source on a Linux machine)

I sometimes scale up larger, e.g. 6x, then do a gaussian blur (radius 4 or 5 in this case), make sure the levels span the full range from black to white in every channel, then scale back down (e.g. with nohalo if you are patient) 3x. Then check curves and/or levels again after scaling, and finally use unsharp mask (since the earlier and more subtle "sharpen" filter seems to be dead), usually with "amount" greater than "radius" (this is just a rule of thumb, and it depends very much on your image - you need to avoid introducing a halo).

As you mention it's a landscape, use 16bpp or 32bpp floating point linear (image->precision) for best results

I've read about neural network algorithms. Are they usable for larger (7MP) images without enormous computer power?

Yes, but they have the best results with "anime" style images as far as i can tell. As others have mentioned, the liquid rescale plugin may work, but it might also give bizarre results.

i think of 7MP as a fairly small image, but, ths system has 32G of RAM. Make sure your GIMP tile cache is large, and that not too many other programs are running. i'm currently editing an image 18,000 x 26,000 pixels for example. As cameras sport increasingly high resolution, people are finally getting used to working with print-sized images :)

Liam (slave ankh on IRC)

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
Click here to have the slave beaten.