RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

opening a geotiff query

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

opening a geotiff query marbles 05 Nov 11:40
  opening a geotiff query scott s. via gimp-user-list 05 Nov 19:54
   opening a geotiff query marbles 06 Nov 09:14
  opening a geotiff query Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list 05 Nov 20:44
2018-11-05 11:40:06 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

opening a geotiff query

Hi,

I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it, allow me to view it as greyscale terrrain and export as bmp?

Thanks

scott s. via gimp-user-list
2018-11-05 19:54:47 UTC (over 5 years ago)

opening a geotiff query

On 11/5/2018 01:40, marbles wrote:

Hi,

I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it, allow me to view it as greyscale terrrain and export as bmp?

Thanks

It's been a long time since I worked with geotiffs in Gimp, but my experience was that it opens the file like any other tiff format, but you lose all the metadata. Though since you are exporting as bmp, maybe that doesn't matter in this use case? In my case I had utilities that could extract the metadata and then restore it into "normal" tiff format files that I exported out of Gimp.

scott s. .

Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list
2018-11-05 20:44:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

opening a geotiff query

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM marbles wrote:

Hi,

I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it,

Yes.

allow me to view it as greyscale

terrrain

Yes.

and export as bmp?

And yes :)

Alex

2018-11-06 09:14:11 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

opening a geotiff query

It's been a long time since I worked with geotiffs in Gimp, but my experience was that it opens the file like any other tiff format, but you lose all the metadata. Though since you are exporting as bmp, maybe that doesn't matter in this use case? In my case I had utilities
that could extract the metadata and then restore it into "normal" tiff format files that I exported out of Gimp.

scott s. .

Hi scott,

I'm needing to export to have a usable height map to import into 3d modeling program therefore I would need also to extract the metadata and restore it into a "normal" tiff.

What utilities did you use, if you can remember ?

Thanks

Calum