RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas Metella 01 Nov 13:19
  Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas rich404 01 Nov 14:41
2018-11-01 13:19:36 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Ok - sorry guys - I know how to scale an image - and even a canvas - but not when working with layers

ISSUE - I have a template I downloaded from INGRAM - I can't change those parameters - it has to stay - OK fine ...

I did an Add Layer - and tried to put in my main photo as a layer - and when it loads - only about 1/4 is visible and HUGE in relation to the transparent template I have behind it ... when I change Scale OR Canvas - the template just seems to get smaller and I still can't get my whole picture to show ...

I am about to just cry .... I am a newbie - but AM good with the basics - and have done some stuff in GIMP before .... and I am good on computers .... but this has me crying in my soup.

rich404
2018-11-01 14:41:16 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Ok - sorry guys - I know how to scale an image - and even a canvas - but not when working with layers

ISSUE - I have a template I downloaded from INGRAM - I can't change those parameters - it has to stay - OK fine ...

From what I understand of INGRAM they send a template as a PDF. No problem with that except Gimp will always open a PDF with a default resolution of 100 ppi. ***Increase*** that to 300 ppi in the File -> Open dialogue.

Then, just good practice, use some guides Select -> Select all : Image -> Guides -> New Guides from selection : Kill the selection leaving the guides Select -> None

screenshots of that: https://i.imgur.com/YOuUIiN.jpg

I did an Add Layer - and tried to put in my main photo as a layer - and when it loads - only about 1/4 is visible and HUGE in relation to the transparent template I have behind it ... when I change Scale OR Canvas - the template just seems to get smaller and I still can't get my whole picture to show ...

Do not do that: Take you image and File -> Open As New Layer. That centers thing up and if over large you can see the layer boundary. With the image layer active, use the scale tool, click in the canvas, pull the tool handles to match the guides.

screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/mvkXaXA.jpg

Click the scale button and you are there: https://i.imgur.com/DSG0njg.jpg

I am about to just cry .... I am a newbie - but AM good with the basics - and have done some stuff in GIMP before .... and I am good on computers .... but this has me crying in my soup.

not as much as this forum makes me want to cry

rich www.gimp-forum.net