RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Export to DNG raw file?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Export to DNG raw file? Punchcard 24 Sep 23:28
  Export to DNG raw file? Ofnuts 17 Oct 12:29
   Export to DNG raw file? Punchcard 17 Oct 15:18
2018-09-24 23:28:19 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Export to DNG raw file?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
GIMP 2.10.6

Via darktable, GIMP can open a DNG raw file written by Vuescan. Can GIMP export to a DNG file?

After opening an image via darktable, I crop it. I wish to export the result to a DNG file.

GIMP's File Type list offers "Raw image data" with extensions "data" and "raw".

Exporting to a "data" file and then opening the file produces a nonsense image.

Exporting and then opening a "raw" file produces "Image filename.raw is not available" from darktable. Exiting darktable produces the GIMP message "Raw Pentax PEF plug-In could not open image".

Ofnuts
2018-10-17 12:29:36 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Export to DNG raw file?

On 09/25/18 01:28, Punchcard wrote:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
GIMP 2.10.6

Via darktable, GIMP can open a DNG raw file written by Vuescan. Can GIMP export to a DNG file?

After opening an image via darktable, I crop it. I wish to export the result to a DNG file.

GIMP's File Type list offers "Raw image data" with extensions "data" and "raw".

Exporting to a "data" file and then opening the file produces a nonsense image.

Exporting and then opening a "raw" file produces "Image filename.raw is not available" from darktable. Exiting darktable produces the GIMP message "Raw Pentax PEF plug-In could not open image".

The "raw" format that Gimp exports is just the bitmap data (more or less the TGA format without headers) and has no relationship with the "raw" image from a camera.

No real point exporting to DNG, though. Why would you want to do that? IF you want high-bit-depth storage, you can use TIFF.

2018-10-17 15:18:16 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Export to DNG raw file?

The "raw" format that Gimp exports is just the bitmap data (more or less
the TGA format without headers) and has no relationship with the "raw" image from a camera.

No real point exporting to DNG, though. Why would you want to do that? IF you want high-bit-depth storage, you can use TIFF.

Thanks!

Being a newbie, I thought it would be handy to have a RAW file, in case I wanted to roll it back into VueScan or some other program, without any processing. Now that I am somewhat less a newbie, and in light of your advice, I don't see why I would need to do that, and I can be satisfied with TIFF.