RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pencil tool won't work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pencil tool won't work Mizemm 19 Jun 19:25
  Pencil tool won't work Liam R E Quin 19 Jun 22:40
   Pencil tool won't work Mizemm 19 Jun 22:47
  Pencil tool won't work EhpeX 31 May 20:21
2018-06-19 19:25:57 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Pencil tool won't work

I've looked everywhere, and I can't find anyplace that discusses the issue I'm having. When I started using GIMP, the pencil worked fine. Now, when I select the pencil, it won't do anything on the image. Everything I'm finding on this topic is talking about the pencil AND the brush. However, the brush works just fine for me, it's only the pencil that isn't working.

Liam R E Quin
2018-06-19 22:40:53 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

Pencil tool won't work

On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 21:25 +0200, Mizemm wrote:

. Now,
when I select
the pencil, it won't do anything on the image.

Check tool options. For example, you might have Mode set to "lighten only". Check which brush the pencil tool is using. Check the brush size in tool options, and the hardness. Check the opacity in tool options.

slave liam (ankh)

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
Click here to have the slave rewarded.
2018-06-19 22:47:07 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Pencil tool won't work

That fixed it! Thank you!

Check tool options. For example, you might have Mode set to "lighten only". Check which brush the pencil tool is using. Check the brush size
in tool options, and the hardness. Check the opacity in tool options.

slave liam (ankh)

2020-05-31 20:21:27 UTC (almost 4 years ago)
postings

Pencil tool won't work

I've looked everywhere, and I can't find anyplace that discusses the issue I'm having. When I started using GIMP, the pencil worked fine. Now, when I select the pencil, it won't do anything on the image. Everything I'm finding on this topic is talking about the pencil AND the brush. However, the brush works just fine for me, it's only the pencil that isn't working.

For others who read this, we have had 2-3 people ask about this same problem and the solution with all 3 was the lock was engaged in Layers-Gradients Dock/Tab. Open Layers- and just below where is it shows Mode: Normal
Opacity 100%
it will say [bold]Lock:[/bold] Lock here with a highlighted pencil or paintbrush or... Just toggle it