RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The actual print size on paper is smaller

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The actual print size on paper is smaller alin33 21 May 10:31
  The actual print size on paper is smaller rich404 21 May 11:59
  The actual print size on paper is smaller Steve Kinney 23 May 17:50
2018-05-21 10:31:40 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

I have an image inside of a4 document that should be printsd 2"x8" 300 dpi. The image is pasted to the a4 as a layer from another gimp document that was ser to "2X8". When I print the a4 document with the image embedded- the image is smaller then 2"x8" - I measured it with a ruler. Why is that and how I can fix it?

rich404
2018-05-21 11:59:49 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

I have an image inside of a4 document that should be printsd 2"x8" 300 dpi.
The image is pasted to the a4 as a layer from another gimp document that was ser to "2X8". When I print the a4 document with the image embedded- the image is smaller then 2"x8" - I measured it with a ruler. Why is that and how I can fix it?

Just a reminder that Gimp is a raster editor and works in pixels not inches or centimetres although it can display such.

Page printing is quite a common problem and a lot depends on your printer.

I will have to use a linux setup for example, no suitable Windows installation - sorry.

Even laser printers require a small margin - usually 3mm, inkjet printers sometimes even more, might need a bottom margin of 10mm to push the paper through.

The A4 page is not truncated it is shrunk to fit. see: screenshot 1 The imposed margins increase the print resolution above 300 ppi. The whole page including your image shrinks.

With luck your printer driver will have a 100% option to force the full size, if not you can crop the page by a small amount. Do not guess the crop, use the tool options settings. see: screenshot 2 Used an offset of 3mm, 3mm - the top left corner of the crop and an overall size of 203mm x 208mm

Putting that to print and with luck 203mm x 208mm will permit a print resolution of 300 ppi and your graphic correct size. see: screenshot 3

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Steve Kinney
2018-05-23 17:50:35 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On 05/21/2018 06:31 AM, alin33 wrote:

I have an image inside of a4 document that should be printsd 2"x8" 300 dpi. The image is pasted to the a4 as a layer from another gimp document that was ser to "2X8". When I print the a4 document with the image embedded- the image is smaller then 2"x8" - I measured it with a ruler. Why is that and how I can fix it?

Although the GIMP can directly print images, getting accurate results in placement/size on the page may require test runs, careful measurement, a bit of math, rescaling, etc. Importing PNG images made with the GIMP into a desktop publishing application just works; set your page(s) up exactly as you want them, including position and size of images. Export your page(s) as PDF and pretty much any printer will give you exactly what you want.

I use Scribus, so far with uniformly good results.

Scribus is Free Software, see https://www.scribus.net/

Versions for more or less every recent operating system: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download

Windows users who want to avoid installing software from Sourceforge (a good policy) can use this version from the PortableApps project: https://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable

As usual with production software there is nothing "intuitive" about how Scribus works, until a person gets used to it - then everything seems intuitive. Here's a good starting point for figuring Scribus out:

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Get_Started_With_Scribus:4

:o)