RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP 2.10 TIFF EXIF metadata stripped on Windows 10

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2018-05-17 09:48:06 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

I just heard that GIMP 2.10 reads/saves/allows manipulation/exports EXIF metadata. I rushed to install it... only to find it doesn't seem to work with TIFF files. I tried opening a JPG - fine. TIF files - no metadata shown in the GIMP viewer.

Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed something?

Thanks.

2018-05-17 17:09:35 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

I'm using Windows 7, rather than 10, but i have just imported a JPG and then exported it as a TIFF - the EXIF information was preserved (the focal length tag is an EXIF, rather than TIFF, tag and this was still present).

By default the saving of EXIF information should be on but it would be worth checking in the Advanced Options when exporting that this is enabled. If it is you could repeat what I have tried - openJPG, export as TIFF. If the EXIF data is preserved then the problem could be in the importing of the TIFF EXIF data (if you are sure that your original TIFF image does have the EXIF data). If the JPG to TIFF process loses the EXIF data there could be a difference between W7 and W10.

If you can narrow down the area of the problem in this way it would be worth filing a bug report.

I am using Partha's portable version of 2.10.0 - it might also be worth trying this (you can use it without affecting your other GIMP installation(s))

I just heard that GIMP 2.10 reads/saves/allows manipulation/exports EXIF metadata. I rushed to install it... only to find it doesn't seem to work with TIFF files. I tried opening a JPG - fine. TIF files - no metadata shown in the GIMP viewer.

Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed something?

Thanks.

2018-05-18 06:48:34 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Thanks for the reply.

I start off with .tif files which have EXIF (and other) metadata within them - as added by my photo scanner, photo library software (Synology's Photo Station) and/or from ExifTool - Original & create dates; User note; copyright, GPS, various tags. These are all present and displayed in ExifToolGUI. As soon as I open the .tif file in GIMP 2.10 and go... Image -> Metadata -> View Metadata, nothing is shown. When I then export the modified image as a .tif and check it with ExifToolGUI, all the metadata has been stripped out.

If I try this starting with a similar .jpg file, the metadata is displayed correctly in GIMP. Exporting an orginal .jpg as a .jpg preserves the EXIF metadata correctly, as does exporting it as a TIFF.

I do have the settings to export all the metadata types in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Import & Export, but it looks to me like the metadata is being stripped out on opening the TIFF file in GIMP and not during the export.

However - taking this a step further - If I start with a ,jpg that contains metadata; open it in GIMP; export it as a .tif, close & re-start GIMP (not sure if this bit is relevant); open the .tif file I just created from the original .jpg, then the metadata is preserved.

I'm wondering of there's some strange formatting of my original .tif files that GIMP is struggling with?

I'm using Windows 7, rather than 10, but i have just imported a JPG and then exported it as a TIFF - the EXIF information was preserved (the focal length tag is an EXIF, rather than TIFF, tag and this was still present).

By default the saving of EXIF information should be on but it would be worth checking in the Advanced Options when exporting that this is enabled. If it is you could repeat what I have tried - openJPG, export as TIFF. If the EXIF data is preserved then the problem could be in the importing of the TIFF EXIF data (if you are sure that your original TIFF image does have the EXIF data). If the JPG to TIFF process loses the EXIF data there could be a difference between W7 and W10.

If you can narrow down the area of the problem in this way it would be worth filing a bug report.

I am using Partha's portable version of 2.10.0 - it might also be worth trying this (you can use it without affecting your other GIMP installation(s))

2018-05-18 07:25:11 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

This is getting stranger...

I'm away from home right now, since last night, & using GIMP 2.10 on my laptop - Win 10, once again. I can't reproduce the problem on this machine. I thought it might be to do with the fact that the original tiff files I was playing with on my desktop at home were Black & White, but I just tried with B/W (and colour) tiffs from the same photo scanner here on my laptop: all seems ok.

I'll have another look on my desktop machine when I get home next week.

Thanks for the reply.

I start off with .tif files which have EXIF (and other) metadata within them - as added by my photo scanner, photo library software (Synology's Photo Station) and/or from ExifTool - Original & create dates; User note; copyright, GPS, various tags. These are all present and displayed in ExifToolGUI. As soon as I open the .tif file in GIMP 2.10 and go... Image -> Metadata -> View Metadata, nothing is shown. When I then export the modified image as a .tif and check it with ExifToolGUI, all the metadata has been stripped out.

If I try this starting with a similar .jpg file, the metadata is displayed correctly in GIMP. Exporting an orginal .jpg as a .jpg preserves the EXIF metadata correctly, as does exporting it as a TIFF.

I do have the settings to export all the metadata types in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Import & Export, but it looks to me like the metadata is being stripped out on opening the TIFF file in GIMP and not during the export.

However - taking this a step further - If I start with a ,jpg that contains metadata; open it in GIMP; export it as a .tif, close & re-start GIMP (not sure if this bit is relevant); open the .tif file I just created from the original .jpg, then the metadata is preserved.

I'm wondering of there's some strange formatting of my original .tif files that GIMP is struggling with?

2018-05-27 18:10:16 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Ok, fixed, but don't know what was causing the problem.

The metadata was being correctly imported & exported in tiff files on my Win 10 laptop running Gimp 2.10.0. On my Win 10 PC - also running Gimp 2.10.0 - the metadata was getting stripped when loading a tiff file into Gimp.

I just uninstalled Gimp 2.10.0 & installed Gimp 2.10.2 on my PC and problem no longer exists.

This is getting stranger...

I'm away from home right now, since last night, & using GIMP 2.10 on my laptop - Win 10, once again. I can't reproduce the problem on this machine. I thought it might be to do with the fact that the original tiff files I was playing with on my desktop at home were Black & White, but I just tried with B/W (and colour) tiffs from the same photo scanner here on my laptop: all seems ok.

I'll have another look on my desktop machine when I get home next week.