RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

script for 90 degree rotation batch processing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

script for 90 degree rotation batch processing Olaf.Herzog@t-online.de 18 Jan 23:20
  script for 90 degree rotation batch processing Sven Neumann 19 Jan 00:11
script for 90 degree rotation batch processing Frank 19 Jan 23:20
  script for 90 degree rotation batch processing Michael Schumacher 19 Jan 23:46
Olaf.Herzog@t-online.de
2005-01-18 23:20:16 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hello,

I wonder whether somebody has a script available (or something easy to modify/adjust) that allows me to do the following: 1. I can select a couple of jpeg image files in the Windows Exporer or Linux KDE filemanager (or under another Linux desktop). 2. I can kick-off an operating system level script (e.g. by having added the script to the file context menu). The script takes the list of jpeg filenames as argument(s). It openes gimp and runs a script within gimp that openes each file (sequentially), performs a 90 degree rotation and saves each file again under the same name (or under a different name by appending something to the filename) at the same image size / quality. It is probably easier to start / end gimp for each and every file to be modified, as the list manipulation can be done on operating system level. More efficient is certainly to work through ths list within gimp. In the end I don't care too much, as I would expect to take a coffee break when running the script anyway...

This would be a user-friendly way to look at thumbnail previews of images taken with a digital camera, select those images from the directory that have not been taken
in landscape orientation and use gimp to rotate them. By modifying the script other features for batch processing of these images could be added.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Olaf

Sven Neumann
2005-01-19 00:11:09 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Olaf.Herzog@t-online.de" writes:

This would be a user-friendly way to look at thumbnail previews of images taken with a digital camera, select those images from the directory that have not been taken in landscape orientation and use gimp to rotate them. By modifying the script other features for batch processing of these images could be added.

Using GIMP to rotate JPEG images is actually a bad idea since GIMP would have to recompress the file, introducing a quality loss. There are tools that allow to losslessly rotate JPEG images, even automatically provided that your camera has an orientation sensor and adds that info the image's EXIF data. jpegtran and exiftran are such tools.

Sven

Frank
2005-01-19 23:20:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Using GIMP to rotate JPEG images is actually a bad idea since GIMP would have to recompress the file, introducing a quality loss. There are tools that allow to losslessly rotate JPEG images, even automatically provided that your camera has an orientation sensor and adds that info the image's EXIF data. jpegtran and exiftran are such tools.

IIRC, gimp knows lossless rotation since version 2.0. I had to use it often and avoided gimp prior to this version. You may realize the speed with which gimp rotates ... reencoding has gone :)

Regards, Frank

Michael Schumacher
2005-01-19 23:46:24 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Frank wrote:

IIRC, gimp knows lossless rotation since version 2.0. I had to use it often and avoided gimp prior to this version. You may realize the speed with which gimp rotates ... reencoding has gone :)

Recoding happens when the image is saved....

HTH, Michael