RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Bulk] Re: OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font ben powers 08 Oct 02:59
  OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font Sven Neumann 08 Oct 12:43
   [Bulk] Re: OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font ben powers 08 Oct 15:44
    [Bulk] Re: OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font Sven Neumann 08 Oct 19:58
ben powers
2004-10-08 02:59:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font

GIMP crashes when i open the font menu (tool/text tool window) and scroll around for a font

steps to reproduce: 1 Open my document (single layer xcf or tiff), 2 use text tool to put text in the image, 3 modify text font with the font button drop down menu.

The menu does not refresh quickly, and scrolls improperly when i use the scrollwheel (or sidetrack) i.e. a font name will remain behind for a time even after i scroll away from it, occluding the font names which should be displayed.
At this point, GIMP usually crashes without an error message, the window just dissapears and X is still running

Here is my console.log of the incident

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600) _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root cannot connect to jack server
cannot connect to default JACK server [DRI] screen 0 installation complete Screen 0 added: 1024x768 @ (0,0)
bash: no job control in this shell

(gimp-2.0:710): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gimp-2.0:710): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gimp-2.0: fatal error: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)

(script-fu:755): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error Quitting XDarwin...

Since the error is in pango it seems, it might be worth it to note that I am using pango 1.4.0
I will attempt to update to 1.4.1.

Fight Software patents in Europe and around the world!! http://petition.eurolinux.org

Sven Neumann
2004-10-08 12:43:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

OSX: Gimp2 crashes when changing font

Hi,

ben powers writes:

(gimp-2.0:710): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gimp-2.0:710): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
/Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gimp-2.0: fatal error: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)

That will be difficult to debug. It looks like a broken font but it could as well be a different problem. Do you have some experience using a debugger? You would also need versions of glib, pango and gimp with debugging symbols. You could then use the --g-fatal-warnings command-line option and force gimp to crash on the first critical warning. Using the debugger you could then tell us more precisely what's going on here.

Since the error is in pango it seems, it might be worth it to note that I am using pango 1.4.0 I will attempt to update to 1.4.1.

My guess is that the problem is not in Pango but in the FreeType library. What's the version of FreeType that you are using?

Sven

ben powers
2004-10-08 15:44:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 8-Oct-04, at 6:43 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

ben powers writes:

** (gimp-2.0:710): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
/Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gimp-2.0: fatal error: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)

That will be difficult to debug. It looks like a broken font but it could as well be a different problem. Do you have some experience using a debugger?

I have used GDB once before, but it was under the instruction of the developer. SO essentially I have no experience with it.

You would also need versions of glib, pango and gimp
with debugging symbols.

I'm using the gimp.app package from gimp-app.sf.net, how do i apply your suggestion?

You could then use the --g-fatal-warnings command-line option and force gimp to crash on the first critical warning. Using the debugger you could then tell us more precisely what's going on here.

Since the error is in pango it seems, it might be worth it to note that I am using pango 1.4.0 I will attempt to update to 1.4.1.

My guess is that the problem is not in Pango but in the FreeType library. What's the version of FreeType that you are using?

% > /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --version 9.0.3
% > /usr/bin/freetype-config --version 9.4.3

there are also a bunch of .h files in */include/freetype2 and i just successfully emerged freetype-2.1.5-r1

Sven

Fight Software patents in Europe and around the world!! http://petition.eurolinux.org

Sven Neumann
2004-10-08 19:58:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

ben powers writes:

% > /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --version 9.0.3
% > /usr/bin/freetype-config --version 9.4.3

there are also a bunch of .h files in */include/freetype2 and i just successfully emerged freetype-2.1.5-r1

That is all very much outdated. Please update to at least freetype 2.1.7. Earlier versions are known to be buggy.

Sven