Sign up now! · Forgot password?
RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Gimp not working with Tablet

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp not working with Tablet Monica Thomson 20 Oct 20:53
  Gimp not working with Tablet Thomas Taylor 22 Oct 06:55
   Gimp not working with Tablet Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Oct 18:40
    Gimp not working with Tablet Dominik Tabisz 23 Oct 00:33
   Gimp not working with Tablet Jernej Simončič 23 Oct 07:35
  Gimp not working with Tablet RayGreer 24 Mar 08:49
  Gimp not working with Tablet LucianStuart 06 Apr 06:25
  Gimp not working with Tablet Kimberleyson 06 May 07:05
Monica Thomson
2013-10-20 20:53:40 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Gimp not working with Tablet

Recently got a new computer, and one of the first things I did was to upload the latest GIMP. My Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet doesn't work completely with it. EVERYTHING worked perfectly on my old computer (Windows 7, Gimp 2.6, same tablet). I currently have Windows 8, Gimp 2.8, same tablet. After removing 2.8 at one point, I tried 2.6 again...hoping it would work then...nope. I've also downloaded the most recent tablet driver from Wacom...still nothing. What happens is that the program opens and I'm able to actually move the pen around the tablet and have the mouse and clicking options. I'm able to "paint". BUT...I'm not able to change pressure settings, which is highly important for what I need. I've gone through the all of the forums I could find on this. Most say to go through Edit; Preferences; Input Devices, and make sure that the tablet is selected. It doesn't even show up there. I'm just about at my wit's end now....and I NEED to get some commissions done. -Monica

Thomas Taylor
2013-10-22 06:55:20 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Gimp not working with Tablet

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:53:40 -0700 (PDT) Monica Thomson wrote:

Recently got a new computer, and one of the first things I did was to upload the latest GIMP. My Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet doesn't work completely with it. EVERYTHING worked perfectly on my old computer (Windows 7, Gimp 2.6, same tablet). I currently have Windows 8, Gimp 2.8, same tablet. After removing 2.8 at one point, I tried 2.6 again...hoping it would work then...nope. I've also downloaded the most recent tablet driver from Wacom...still nothing. What happens is that the program opens and I'm able to actually move the pen around the tablet and have the mouse and clicking options. I'm able to "paint". BUT...I'm not able to change pressure settings, which is highly important for what I need. I've gone through the all of the forums I could find on this. Most say to go through Edit; Preferences; Input Devices, and make sure that the tablet is selected. It doesn't even show up there. I'm just about at my wit's end now....and I NEED to get some commissions done. -Monica _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Hi Monica,
Microsoft did a complete re-write of the code base between win 7 and win 8. Also be aware that windows support for anything not the "latest and greatest" has some serious flaws. Apple OSX and Linux have extensive support for older hardware (and usually software). For some reason MS seems to think that the code has to change every 2-5 years instead of just adding/improving things. That's why one must buy newer versions of software programs to be "compatible" with the new version of MS.

Tom

Every man is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with
him like flies on a summer day.
  -  Bertrand Russell

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  --.  --...  -.-.  ..-.  -.-.

^^^^
Tom Taylor - retired penguin - KG7CFC
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 13.1_RC1-x86_64
KDE 4.11.12, FF 24.0, claws-mail 3.9.2
registered linux user 263467
Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-10-22 18:40:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Gimp not working with Tablet

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Thomas Taylor wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:53:40 -0700 (PDT) Monica Thomson wrote:

Recently got a new computer, and one of the first things I did was to upload the latest GIMP. My Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet doesn't work completely with it. EVERYTHING worked perfectly on my old computer (Windows 7, Gimp 2.6, same tablet). I currently have Windows 8, Gimp 2.8, same tablet. After removing 2.8 at one point, I tried 2.6 again...hoping it would work then...nope. I've also downloaded the most recent tablet driver from Wacom...still nothing. What happens is that the program opens and I'm able to actually move the pen around the tablet and have the mouse and clicking options. I'm able to "paint". BUT...I'm not able to change pressure settings, which is highly important for what I need. I've gone through the all of the forums I could find on this. Most say to go through Edit; Preferences; Input Devices, and make sure that the tablet is selected. It doesn't even show up there. I'm just about at my wit's end now....and I NEED to get some commissions done. -Monica

Hi Monica,
Microsoft did a complete re-write of the code base between win 7 and win 8. Also be aware that windows support for anything not the "latest and greatest" has some serious flaws. Apple OSX and Linux have extensive support for older hardware (and usually software). For some reason MS seems to think that the code has to change every 2-5 years instead of just adding/improving things. That's why one must buy newer versions of software programs to be "compatible" with the new version of MS.

Tom,

GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+ where advanced input devices support on Windows is broken beyond repair.

If painting is crucial, the recommendation is to install GIMP 2.6 and use it until the port to GTK+3 is done.

Alexandre

Dominik Tabisz
2013-10-23 00:33:45 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Gimp not working with Tablet

How about workaround by virtualbox? 1) install virtualbox
2) get any os that work with Gimp 2. 8 and Your tablet(smaller is better) 3) install & run Gimp in this virtualised OS Sometimes it work, though it's usually easier to migrate to Linux (my workaround is intended for PC that can't safely run Linux)

Good luck Dominik Tabisz

P.s from android (not so)smartphone it's hard to give link, but look for "virtualboxes" - they are prepaired os images - just copy them to virtualbox and all You have to do is install Gimp On Oct 22, 2013 8:40 PM, "Alexandre Prokoudine" < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Thomas Taylor wrote:

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:53:40 -0700 (PDT) Monica Thomson wrote:

Recently got a new computer, and one of the first things I did was to

upload

the latest GIMP. My Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet doesn't work completely

with it.

EVERYTHING worked perfectly on my old computer (Windows 7, Gimp 2.6,

same

tablet). I currently have Windows 8, Gimp 2.8, same tablet. After

removing

2.8 at one point, I tried 2.6 again...hoping it would work then...nope.

I've

also downloaded the most recent tablet driver from Wacom...still

nothing.

What happens is that the program opens and I'm able to actually move

the pen

around the tablet and have the mouse and clicking options. I'm able to "paint". BUT...I'm not able to change pressure settings, which is highly important for what I need. I've gone through the all of the forums I

could

find on this. Most say to go through Edit; Preferences; Input Devices,

and

make sure that the tablet is selected. It doesn't even show up there.

I'm

just about at my wit's end now....and I NEED to get some commissions

done.

-Monica

Hi Monica,
Microsoft did a complete re-write of the code base between win 7 and win

8.

Also be aware that windows support for anything not the "latest and

greatest"

has some serious flaws. Apple OSX and Linux have extensive support for

older

hardware (and usually software). For some reason MS seems to think that

the

code has to change every 2-5 years instead of just adding/improving

things.

That's why one must buy newer versions of software programs to be

"compatible"

with the new version of MS.

Tom,

GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+ where advanced input devices support on Windows is broken beyond repair.

If painting is crucial, the recommendation is to install GIMP 2.6 and use it until the port to GTK+3 is done.

Alexandre _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Jernej Simončič
2013-10-23 07:35:32 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Gimp not working with Tablet

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 06:55:20 +0000, Thomas Taylor wrote:

For some reason MS seems to think that the code has to change every 2-5 years instead of just adding/improving things. That's why one must buy newer versions of software programs to be "compatible" with the new version of MS.

This is actually completely false. Microsoft goes above and beyond to make sure old software still works on their newer OSes. Much of the bloat in Windows is there due to all the compatibility hacks they have to maintain to ensure old software doesn't break.

Tablet support in GIMP doesn't work because it's broken in Windows GTK+ port after 2.16 - this is the reason GIMP 2.6 on Windows never moved beyond GTK+ 2.16, but with 2.8 a newer version was required, which unfortunately brought tablet breakage.

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >
2022-03-24 08:49:18 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
1
contact
Send private message

Gimp not working with Tablet

GIMP user shares this article with a harsh reality that is isolated with the aim of the future combativeness for the people. The new authority of the leads and https://sites.ucmerced.edu/myblog/top-rated-writing-services-academic-purpose are embarked for the citizens among the data community to read.

2022-04-06 06:25:53 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
1
contact
Send private message

Gimp not working with Tablet

Local SEO administrations boost your local openness on the web. It yields great web crawler positioning in your local area, eventually bringing about expanded ubiquity and income. A portion of the reasons are framed here showing the motivations behind why you ought to https://awkwardmedia.ca/ pick just specialists to assist you with advancing your independent venture on the web.

2022-05-06 07:05:23 UTC (16 days ago)
postings
2
contact
Send private message

Gimp not working with Tablet

The National Accreditation Board authorizes instructor education programs in view of the construction and content of the courses proposed by the organization. Subsequently, the courses run [url=https://iamfeelingblog.com/]https://iamfeelingblog.com/[/url] different organizations vary in https://iamfeelingblog.com/category/anime/ satisfied and structure. For instance, the course satisfied for the.