RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

getting rid of dust after scanning

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

getting rid of dust after scanning Linux GIMP 17 Aug 00:48
getting rid of dust after scanning William Skaggs 17 Aug 23:31
  getting rid of dust after scanning Linux GIMP 18 Aug 00:49
Linux GIMP
2004-08-17 00:48:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Greetings all . . .

So here is question/situation. I am scanning in some photos at a very large size. 23x35 inches, 300 dpi. The final output will be a poster of that size. In spite of my best attempts there is always some dust someplace. I'm wondering if there is an "easy" way to cover this without having to touch up each speck by hand.

I have googled a bit & check the tutorials at gimp.org. So far found nothing really useful. I though I would ask to see if anyone has a lead for me on this.

I'm wondering if I can't do some sort of blur or something, just enough to cover the dust without losing the sharpness. Maybe a second layer that is blured? Anyhow, I am going to go experiment with this problem tonight and see if I come up with anything.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give. Adrian

William Skaggs
2004-08-17 23:31:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Adrian wrote:

I am scanning in some photos at a very large size. 23x35 inches, 300 dpi. The final output will be a poster of that size. In spite of my best attempts there is always some dust someplace. I'm wondering if there is an "easy" way to cover this without having to touch up each speck by hand.

You might try the Despeckle filter (Filters->Enhance->Despeckle). It does best at dust removal if you select a small area containing the dust speck before applying it, but depending on your image it might work okay when applied to the whole thing.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Linux GIMP
2004-08-18 00:49:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:31:18 -0700 "William Skaggs" wrote the words:

You might try the Despeckle filter (Filters->Enhance->Despeckle). It does best at dust removal if you select a small area containing the dust speck before applying it, but depending on your image it might work okay when applied to the whole thing.

Best, -- Bill

Thanks. I will test that. I played around last night with combinations of blurs on different layers, then adding the layers together (probably not the correct way to describe what I did, but I don't know the word). So far not really happy with what I've gotten. . . . Hmm Don't take that as me blaming Gimp mind you, just my inability to use the program. Adrian