RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help menu again!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help menu again! stepg 15 Aug 18:23
  help menu again! Sven Neumann 15 Aug 21:12
   help menu again! Michael Schumacher 15 Aug 21:30
stepg
2004-08-15 18:23:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help menu again!

I'm using Windows XP Home SP1. I installed GTK 2.4.3, GIMP 2.0.3, GIMP Help 2.0.3, and GAP 2.0.2. Everything seems to work splendidly -- except that the help system doesn't seem to work. Specifically, the tips window pops up at startup, but pressing F1 or selecting "Help" doesn't bring up the Help pages. The first time I try it in a session, I get a "working in the background" cursor for about fifteen seconds or so, then it switches back to the regular cursor. There's no error message, or any other indication that anything's gone wrong, just no Help. Trying to launch it again doesn't even change the cursor -- nothing happens at all. Same story with context sensitive help.

I've added the LANG=en environment variable, system wide, but that didn't help. I tried switching to the "internal browser," but that led to an error message that I'd need to install GTK-HTML (or something like that) and it switched back to the external browser option.

I'm the only user of this PC, so I've got administrator rights, of course. The only other peculiarity of my setup I can think of is that my default Web browser is Mozilla Firefox. For the time being, as a workaround, I've put a shortcut to the index.html file for the English language Help in my GIMP start menu folder. I am not alone with this problem, i have also checked other gimp sites for a solution, so far no luck only found more people with same problem original Author of installers
This is the response I got from Jernej Simoncic. He is the man responsible for the installers.
------------
"I've heard of this happening, but couldn't reproduce this on my home computer. Try asking in the mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpwin-users/, maybe somebody there will be able to help you.
Nobody there has an answer yet.

Oh, come on, try to be a little bit smarter.

Again nobody has an answer. so you see Sven i am trying to be a little bit smarter though obviously will never be as smart as a genius like you. Stephen.

Sven Neumann
2004-08-15 21:12:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help menu again!

Hi,

stepg writes:

I'm using Windows XP Home SP1. I installed GTK 2.4.3, GIMP 2.0.3, GIMP Help 2.0.3, and GAP 2.0.2. Everything seems to work splendidly -- except that the help system doesn't seem to work. Specifically, the tips window pops up at startup, but pressing F1 or selecting "Help" doesn't bring up the Help pages. The first time I try it in a session, I get a "working in the background" cursor for about fifteen seconds or so, then it switches back to the regular cursor. There's no error message, or any other indication that anything's gone wrong, just no Help. Trying to launch it again doesn't even change the cursor -- nothing happens at all. Same story with context sensitive help.

What GIMP is trying to do here (on Win32) is to open the systemwide configured webbrowser. I have no idea why this is failing for you. The relevant code is in plug-ins/common/webbrowser.c:

ShellExecute (HWND_DESKTOP, "open", url, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-08-15 21:30:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help menu again!

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

stepg writes:

What GIMP is trying to do here (on Win32) is to open the systemwide configured webbrowser. I have no idea why this is failing for you.

Usually, this indicates that there isn't really a default browser - something that happens frequently when new browsers are uninstalled and installed.

HTH,
Michael