RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Thumbnail viewer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

24 of 25 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Thumbnail viewer Gary Montalbine 12 Aug 17:04
  Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 12 Aug 18:20
   Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 12 Aug 18:32
    Thumbnail viewer Gary Montalbine 13 Aug 13:25
     Thumbnail viewer Carol Spears 13 Aug 15:43
     Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 14 Aug 05:14
      Thumbnail viewer Michael Schumacher 14 Aug 08:01
       Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 14 Aug 17:28
        Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 14 Aug 18:17
      Thumbnail viewer Gary Montalbine 14 Aug 14:41
  Thumbnail viewer Carol Spears 12 Aug 21:07
   Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 13 Aug 00:39
    Thumbnail viewer Carol Spears 13 Aug 01:43
411E05DA.8040804@cox.net 07 Oct 20:16
  Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 14 Aug 17:17
   Thumbnail viewer Gary Montalbine 14 Aug 17:47
    Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 14 Aug 23:44
   Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 14 Aug 18:18
    Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 15 Aug 18:36
     Thumbnail viewer Carol Spears 15 Aug 21:09
      Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 15 Aug 23:01
       Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 16 Aug 00:56
        Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 16 Aug 04:15
        Thumbnail viewer Linux GIMP 18 Aug 12:47
         Thumbnail viewer Sven Neumann 18 Aug 20:39
Gary Montalbine
2004-08-12 17:04:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

I am looking for a thumbnail viewer that will show my .xcf gimp files in a directory without going into gimp. I tried Gthumb and GQview. Imagemagic is beyond my command line capability. I especially like the slide show capability of Gthumb.

Gary

Sven Neumann
2004-08-12 18:20:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Gary Montalbine writes:

I am looking for a thumbnail viewer that will show my .xcf gimp files in a directory without going into gimp. I tried Gthumb and GQview. Imagemagic is beyond my command line capability. I especially like the slide show capability of Gthumb.

GIMP creates thumbnails according to the Thumbnail Managing Standard. Any application that adheres to this standard should be able to show you thumbnails for images that GIMP created (in whatever format).

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-08-12 18:32:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

GIMP creates thumbnails according to the Thumbnail Managing Standard. Any application that adheres to this standard should be able to show you thumbnails for images that GIMP created (in whatever format).

I forgot to add that GThumb belongs to that category. It shows thumbnails that GIMP created just fine. I am using gthumb 2.4.1 here.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-08-12 21:07:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:04:03AM -0400, Gary Montalbine wrote:

gimp2 has a "Document History" dialog. this is confusing windows-speak that means "Image History". i am very sorry about the change in the naming of things from smart to stupid like this, however -- this dialog shows everything you have done with the gimp and your images should be there.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-08-13 00:39:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

gimp2 has a "Document History" dialog. this is confusing windows-speak that means "Image History". i am very sorry about the change in the naming of things from smart to stupid like this,

Imaqe History would probably be a better name but I don't think you ever suggested that before. Why not? Needless to rant on the user list when you could be doing helpful suggestions instead.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 01:43:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:39:29AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

gimp2 has a "Document History" dialog. this is confusing windows-speak that means "Image History". i am very sorry about the change in the naming of things from smart to stupid like this,

Imaqe History would probably be a better name but I don't think you ever suggested that before. Why not? Needless to rant on the user list when you could be doing helpful suggestions instead.

confusing windows speak is not a rant, it is an identifier. and this identifier helps to understand it when the same problem comes up with later problems.

what you mailed is a rant. demanding that i dont give long term help.

i was surprised that the windows-speak entered onto my linux box.

i am also uncertain when and where these decisions are made. so you are ranting at a user dealing with changes made to her computer. please stop.

one day, i will probably wake up to find a "My Computer" icon on my linux box users desktop. i will not rant, i will probably quit and let the stupidity take over. not a rant -- a plan. a seeing into the future that i hope is really really wrong.

as always, nice responding to your response. the gimp is cool, thanks for all the documents.

carol

Gary Montalbine
2004-08-13 13:25:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I forgot to add that GThumb belongs to that category. It shows thumbnails that GIMP created just fine. I am using gthumb 2.4.1 here.

Sven

This has been a bad day. Nothing worked. With my limited knowledge of Gimp and Gthumb I am totally confused. First I was unable to upgrade Gthumb to 2.4 from 2.2. I tried an rpm and tar. Also I do not understand about gimp creating thumbnails. When I open a .xcf file using gimp I can make a thumbnail. I also see the thumbnail in Document history. However there is no thumbnail when I try to open the same xcf file in gthumb. It shows a size of 0x0 pixels and 266k bytes. I use gimp mostly for photo editing and am just a novice at that. Perhaps I am in the wrong forum for a thumbnails discussion.

Thanks for your time.

Gary

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 15:43:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:25:35AM -0400, Gary Montalbine wrote:

This has been a bad day. Nothing worked. With my limited knowledge of Gimp and Gthumb I am totally confused. First I was unable to upgrade Gthumb to 2.4 from 2.2. I tried an rpm and tar. Also I do not understand about gimp creating thumbnails. When I open a .xcf file using gimp I can make a thumbnail. I also see the thumbnail in Document history. However there is no thumbnail when I try to open the same xcf file in gthumb. It shows a size of 0x0 pixels and 266k bytes. I use gimp mostly for photo editing and am just a novice at that. Perhaps I am in the wrong forum for a thumbnails discussion.

did you try Dialogs -->Document history (with gimp which is already installed on your computer)?

carol

Linux GIMP
2004-08-14 05:14:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Talking about thumbnail viewers:

First off, I have also searched for a thumbnail viewer that will show xcf files. I have GThumb installed (Gentoo box) and it does not show my xcf file thumbnails. I have searched for any type of settings/preferences dialogue but found nothing.

I would also kill for a viewer which can read bzipped files. I have huge tiff files which I scan in then manipulate. I keep in originals int tif.bz2 format. The "open file" dialogue box is the only thingy I have found capable of generating & showing a thumbnail of these files.

Any suggestions or hits with the stupid stick that you can send my way?

As ever I am grateful. Adrain

Michael Schumacher
2004-08-14 08:01:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Linux GIMP wrote:

First off, I have also searched for a thumbnail viewer that will show xcf files. I have GThumb installed (Gentoo box) and it does not show my xcf file thumbnails. I have searched for any type of settings/preferences dialogue but found nothing.

Please note that there is no program other than GIMP that can create thumbnails out of XCF files (unless it calls gIMP to load the file, of course).

I would also kill for a viewer which can read bzipped files. I have huge tiff files which I scan in then manipulate. I keep in originals int tif.bz2 format. The "open file" dialogue box is the only thingy I have found capable of generating & showing a thumbnail of these files.

If you saved the file with GIMP, there should be a thumbnail, too.

Are you using a 2.0 version of GIMP?

HTH, Michael

Gary Montalbine
2004-08-14 14:41:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Linux GIMP wrote:

As ever I am grateful. Adrain

I stumbled on Nautilus. A program that shows the thumbnails once I create them in the "open file" dialogue box. I can now see a whole directory of thumbnails.

Nautilus might be the file manager for gnome.

Gary

Linux GIMP
2004-08-14 17:17:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:30:18 -0400 Gary Montalbine wrote the words:

Linux GIMP wrote:

As ever I am grateful.
Adrain

I stumbled on Nautilus. A program that shows the thumbnails once I create them in the "open file" dialogue box. I can now see a whole directory of thumbnails.

Nautilus might be the file manager for gnome.

Gary

You are correct that Nautilus is a file manager for Gnome. I have it installed and just played around with it. It shows thumbnails for neither xcf files nor tif.bz2 files, even though I have created thumbnails for those images in Gimp via the "open file" dialogue box.

But you say this works on your system?? So I wonder what could be the difference . . .

Linux GIMP
2004-08-14 17:28:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:01:48 +0200 Michael Schumacher wrote the words:

Linux GIMP wrote:

Please note that there is no program other than GIMP that can create thumbnails out of XCF files (unless it calls gIMP to load the file, of course).

I see. I rather suspected this was true, but had no actually evidence one way or the other.

If you saved the file with GIMP, there should be a thumbnail, too.

Ok, here is a question I have, where exactly would this thumbnail be saved to? Is there one directory for all or is it in a subdirectory of the directory where the images are? I was under the impression it was the latter, but this does not seem to be true as there are no thumbnail directories in my image directories.

Are you using a 2.0 version of GIMP?

I have been using 2.0.2 / Gentoo. I have just now (I mean just "now") upgraded to 2.0.4 and I'm off to play with that.

HTH,
Michael

Gary Montalbine
2004-08-14 17:47:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Linux GIMP wrote:

You are correct that Nautilus is a file manager for Gnome. I have it installed and just played around with it. It shows thumbnails for neither xcf files nor tif.bz2 files, even though I have created thumbnails for those images in Gimp via the "open file" dialogue box.

But you say this works on your system?? So I wonder what could be the difference . . .

I am using kde 3.2.3 and ML 10.0. I have a sub directory called "family" that has 85 files consisiting of jpg and xcf files. All but three showed thumbnails. 2 xcf and 1 jpg file did not. Why I have no idea. I also have a .xvpics subdirectory in this "family" subdirectory that has jpg and xcf files. Where it came from or what it is supposed to do I have no idea. Nautilus said the files were of an unknown format.

Sorry I could not be of furthur help. My knowledge is limited to trial and error.

Gary

Sven Neumann
2004-08-14 18:17:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

Ok, here is a question I have, where exactly would this thumbnail be saved to? Is there one directory for all or is it in a subdirectory of the directory where the images are? I was under the impression it was the latter, but this does not seem to be true as there are no thumbnail directories in my image directories.

See http://triq.net/~pearl/thumbnail-spec/

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-08-14 18:18:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

Are you using GIMP2 at all? Is thumbnailing enabled in the GIMP preferences?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-08-14 23:44:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Gary Montalbine writes:

I am using kde 3.2.3 and ML 10.0. I have a sub directory called "family" that has 85 files consisiting of jpg and xcf files. All but three showed thumbnails. 2 xcf and 1 jpg file did not. Why I have no idea. I also have a .xvpics subdirectory in this "family" subdirectory that has jpg and xcf files. Where it came from or what it is supposed to do I have no idea. Nautilus said the files were of an unknown format.

These XCF files have probably been written using an old version of GIMP. Start gimp-2.0, go to the File->Open dialog, select all files in this directory and click on the Preview area in order to have thumbnails created for all selected files.

Sven

Linux GIMP
2004-08-15 18:36:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On 14 Aug 2004 18:18:42 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote the words:

Are you using GIMP2 at all? Is thumbnailing enabled in the GIMP preferences?

Sven

Thumbnailing is enabled. I see all my thumbnails just fine in the open file dialogue of Gimp. Also I have the ~/.thumbnails/ directory. Thanks for the link to the thumbnail management standard pages.

I am on Gimp 2.0.4 now. Until yesterday I was using 2.0.2.

When you say "is thumbnailing enabled in the GIMP preferences?" may I ask 'exactly' where that would be at. I have gone thru all the preferences settings, and anyplace that relates to thumbnail size or such it is enabled. But it wouldn't be the first time I have missed the obvious.

Adrian

Carol Spears
2004-08-15 21:09:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:36:09AM -0600, Linux GIMP wrote:

When you say "is thumbnailing enabled in the GIMP preferences?" may I ask 'exactly' where that would be at. I have gone thru all the preferences settings, and anyplace that relates to thumbnail size or such it is enabled. But it wouldn't be the first time I have missed the obvious.

File -->Preferences -->Environment

carol

Linux GIMP
2004-08-15 23:01:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:09:22 -0700 Carol Spears wrote the words:

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:36:09AM -0600, Linux GIMP wrote:

File -->Preferences -->Environment

carol

Ah, yes they are. And they are set to large if that makes a difference. I wasn't actually aware until now that this was the place to turn them off, as opposed to simply determining what size they would be. Thank you.
Adrian

Sven Neumann
2004-08-16 00:56:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

Ah, yes they are. And they are set to large if that makes a difference. I wasn't actually aware until now that this was the place to turn them off, as opposed to simply determining what size they would be.

Hmm, them being set to large could be a problem. gthumb wouldn't implement the spec properly then but I could imagine that perhaps it looks for thumbnails in size normal only. If that turns out to be causing your problem, you should file a bug report against gthumb.

Sven

Linux GIMP
2004-08-16 04:15:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On 16 Aug 2004 00:56:41 +0200

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

Ah, yes they are. And they are set to large if that makes a difference.
I wasn't actually aware until now that this was the place to turn them
off, as opposed to simply determining what size they would be.

Hmm, them being set to large could be a problem. gthumb wouldn't implement the spec properly then but I could imagine that perhaps it looks for thumbnails in size normal only. If that turns out to be causing your problem, you should file a bug report against gthumb.

Sven

Then I will have to experiment when I get a chance. I'll try setting them to small/normal and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Adrian

Linux GIMP
2004-08-18 12:47:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

On 16 Aug 2004 00:56:41 +0200

Linux GIMP writes:

Ah, yes they are. And they are set to large if that makes a difference.
I wasn't actually aware until now that this was the place to turn them
off, as opposed to simply determining what size they would be.

Sven

Bingo. As a follow up, that seems to be the case. In Gimp I changed the thumbnail size to small. Set up a new directory with xcf and tif.bz2 files in it. Used Gimp to create thumbnails.
Gthumb will now show a thumbnail for the xcf files, but still doesn't show the tif.bz2 files at all.
Nautilus shows thumbnails for xcf and tif.bz2 files.

Thank you for you help everyone. Adrian

Sven Neumann
2004-08-18 20:39:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Thumbnail viewer

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

Bingo. As a follow up, that seems to be the case. In Gimp I changed the thumbnail size to small. Set up a new directory with xcf and tif.bz2 files in it. Used Gimp to create thumbnails. Gthumb will now show a thumbnail for the xcf files, but still doesn't show the tif.bz2 files at all.

That is strange. I suggest that you file a bug-report against gthumb. They are obviously not implementing the thumbnail spec correctly. IIRC the spec says to use larger thumbnails if they are available and to scale them down

Sven