RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Selection Woes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Selection woes... iwantto keepanon 06 Aug 04:30
Selection woes... iwantto keepanon 12 Aug 00:18
  Selection woes... Carol Spears 12 Aug 00:28
   Selection woes... Justin Gombos 13 Aug 02:32
    Selection woes... Carol Spears 13 Aug 02:45
     Selection woes... Carol Spears 13 Aug 02:57
     Selection woes... Justin Gombos 13 Aug 03:01
      Selection woes... Carol Spears 13 Aug 04:18
  Selection woes... Sven Neumann 12 Aug 00:29
Selection woes... iwantto keepanon 12 Aug 05:50
  Selection woes... Sven Neumann 12 Aug 11:07
Selection Woes iwantto keepanon 16 Aug 20:49
iwantto keepanon
2004-08-06 04:30:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

I have been trying (w/ use of the help screens) to do what I /thought/ would be a simple operation.

I have an image w/ some text in it. I want to move *each* letter over by 2 pixels (to accomodate an outline). So here is what I do:

1. Select all 2. move image (good)
3. C+select to remove the first letter 4. move image (good)
5. notice that gimp "shrink wrapped" the selection to just the letters (leaving out the transparent areas) 6. C+select to remove the second letter 7. notice that ALL the letters disappear (but have marching ants on them) 8. notice that the letter I just (presumably) de-selected still has marching ants shrink warpped on it too
9. move the selection
10. notice that ALL the letters move, including the on I /tried/ to de-select

Doh! I could anchor the selection and reselect the remaining text. But I'd have to do that 30 -> 40 times (not!). While extremely zoomed in (not!). I do not understand how selection tools change from normal when a selection is active. I also do not understand /why/ selection tools change from normal.

I tried several of the select tool buttons (e.g. subtract from current selection), but to no avail.

For those of you still reading , here is the big picture. I have some text and a background (American flags). I captured both from my website. I put both in layers. I made the text be "difference" (as I recall) and the flags be "normal". Bam, a good looking title with the font stroked in a flag motif. The only problem is that the font has a lot of white pixels (you know, the stripes) on the edge of the letters and my website uses a white background (not good). So I tried to put some space in between the letters (hence my question) and manually outline the letters.

If there is a quicker way (say instead of the text tool filling w/solid colors, but instead w/ a gif) then I'd appreciate the help. If not, then am I just a moron gimp user (probably yes). But what is up w/ the selection tools when the selection is active???

iwantto keepanon
2004-08-12 00:18:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

Did I stump ya? Or confuse ya? Is anyone out there ...

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 06:30:01 +0400 (MSD) From: iwantto keepanon
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Selection woes... Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Precedence: list

I have been trying (w/ use of the help screens) to do what I /thought/ would be a simple operation.

I have an image w/ some text in it. I want to move *each* letter over by 2 pixels (to accomodate an outline). So here is what I do:

1. Select all 2. move image (good)
3. C+select to remove the first letter 4. move image (good)
5. notice that gimp "shrink wrapped" the selection to just the letters (leaving out the transparent areas) 6. C+select to unselect the second letter 7. notice that ALL the letters disappear (but have marching ants on them still) 8. notice that the letter I just (presumably) de-selected still has marching ants shrink wrapped on it too
9. move the selection
10. notice that ALL the letters move, including the on I /tried/ to de-select

Doh! I could anchor the selection and reselect the remaining text. But I'd have to do that 30 -> 40 times (not!). While extremely zoomed in (not!). I do not understand how selection tools change from normal when a selection is active. I also do not understand /why/ selection tools change from normal.

I tried several of the select tool buttons (e.g. subtract from current selection), but to no avail.

For those of you still reading , here is the big picture. I have some text and a background (American flags). I captured both from my website. I put both in layers. I made the text be "difference" (as I recall) and the flags be "normal". Bam, a good looking title with the font stroked in a flag motif. The only problem is that the font has a lot of white pixels (you know, the stripes) on the edge of the letters and my website uses a white background (not good). So I tried to put some space in between the letters (hence my question) and manually outline the letters.

If there is a quicker way (say instead of the text tool filling w/solid colors, but instead w/ a gif) then I'd appreciate the help. If not, then am I just a moron gimp user (probably yes). But what is up w/ the selection tools when the selection is active???

Carol Spears
2004-08-12 00:28:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 02:18:02AM +0400, iwantto keepanon wrote:

best to use texttool to make each letter on a separate layer. you do this by highlighting the background layer and clicking on that for each new letter.

then use the guides and move tool to settle everything that you have in the way you want it.

from there, -->Image -->Merge Visible Layers (with only the text layers showing) will make one layer out of the several.

text tool is set up to make good text. you are making decorative text which is more like good decorative text, comparatively speaking.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-08-12 00:29:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

Hi,

iwantto keepanon writes:

Well, I haven't been able to make any sense out of your words, so yes, you confused me at least.

Sven

iwantto keepanon
2004-08-12 05:50:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

Ok, seems like I confused some or all of you . Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have a page w/ what I am trying to do and exactly where things go wrong. Please visit :

http://man-page.homelinux.org/~rodney/gimp-q/

There is a step by step process and my questions ... which are: 1. why can't I unselect the "R"?
2. Or (restated) why does unselecting a small region make the whole region disappear? 3. Is using a gif to fill the text tool alread built in?

(hopefully makes sense when you see the webpage).

My real title is longer than this and I'd prefer not to have to re-anchor the selection each time I need to insert 2px worth of space btwn letters.

Thanks to all who have already replied.

(BTW, Love! The Gimp)

Sven Neumann
2004-08-12 11:07:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

Hi,

iwantto keepanon writes:

Ok, seems like I confused some or all of you . Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have a page w/ what I am trying to do and exactly where things go wrong. Please visit :

http://man-page.homelinux.org/~rodney/gimp-q/

Please watch the layers dialog while you are doing this. That should explain your problem (which is due to a floating selections you will want to anchor).

Sven

Justin Gombos
2004-08-13 02:32:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

* Carol Spears [2004-08-11 16:40]:

I recently had the exact same problem. I had an email address that I wanted to show as a bitmap (to prevent spam harvesting), and needed to move some of the letters around, all of which I had on the same layer. Move did not work, so I did some cutting and pasting. The cutting and pasting gave me the granularity I needed.. the move suddently works if you cut and then re-paste in place, but (at least in my case) the cut wasn't perfect, and left some specles behind that were well inside the selected area.

Anyway, what Carol suggested is probably the best option; that is:

best to use texttool to make each letter on a separate layer. you do this by highlighting the background layer and clicking on that for each new letter.

It would *really* be nice if the move tool had more power. If the move tool would move only the objects that are selected, that would be great. It would be ideal if the move tool only moved the whole layer in the absense of a selection. (has this been suggested before?)

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 02:45:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:32:24PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:

* Carol Spears [2004-08-11 16:40]:

Anyway, what Carol suggested is probably the best option; that is:

It would *really* be nice if the move tool had more power. If the move tool would move only the objects that are selected, that would be great. It would be ideal if the move tool only moved the whole layer in the absense of a selection. (has this been suggested before?)

double click on the move tool. you can move selections, layers or paths (there are buttons at the top of the tool option dialog. also other ways to make move tool behave; "Pick a layer or guide to Move" allows you to move whatever non-alpha layer you touch and "Move Current Layer" will move only the layer highlighted in the layers dialog.

the only thing i ever wanted from move tool is a way to say "put the upper left corner at these numerical coordinates"

the tooloptions menu is dockable and should have been docked underneath the toolbox in the default gimp set up (the first time you opened gimp2 up)

lots of ways to control these powerful tools.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 02:57:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 05:45:20PM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

double click on the move tool. you can move selections, layers or paths (there are buttons at the top of the tool option dialog. also other ways to make move tool behave; "Pick a layer or guide to Move" allows you to move whatever non-alpha layer you touch and "Move Current Layer" will move only the layer highlighted in the layers dialog.

i forgot, shift click will move whatever layer is highlighted regardless if the tool is touching alpha or image area on a layer also.

been like this since the gimp-1.0.2 i started with.

carol

Justin Gombos
2004-08-13 03:01:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

* Carol Spears [2004-08-12 17:51]:

double click on the move tool. you can move selections, layers or paths (there are buttons at the top of the tool option dialog.

Nice! I'll have to update Gimp to a current version and see if I get those options. I'm running version 1.2.3 right now, and the move tool displays the dialog "This tool has no options."

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 04:18:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection woes...

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:01:41PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:

* Carol Spears [2004-08-12 17:51]:

double click on the move tool. you can move selections, layers or paths (there are buttons at the top of the tool option dialog.

Nice! I'll have to update Gimp to a current version and see if I get those options. I'm running version 1.2.3 right now, and the move tool displays the dialog "This tool has no options."

oh heavens! i am very surprised that you are able to get that old gimp to work at all.

that gimp had to struggle with a changing this way and that font server. the new gtk2 had some neat "toys" for the developers to play with.

when you do upgrade, dont be afraid to right click around and try the new buttons here and there. docking and the tabs are really handy and there are many new dialogs.

carol

iwantto keepanon
2004-08-16 20:49:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Selection Woes

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

If you do not want to anchor, them hit the ew layer" button - that will save your current floating selection in a new layer, and allow you to select smaller portions of it, while working without disturbing the rest of the image.

Thx, I found that out by trial and error. I would then turn visibility off on the "lower" layers so that I didn't get confused what was selected and what was not. I could then select the letter I *didnt* want to move, press Ctl+I (invert) and move the rest.

Both new layer and invert helped not have to reselect my image over and over. Although I still find the "Ctl+Drag disappearing text" problem confusing. The text also disappears out of the layer thumbnail preview. Seems like a bug in the floating selection code to me.

Note: does anybody else think this is a bug? Should I file a report?

AS for the other questionof yours, if "gifs can be used to fill rendered text", you'll have to save your gif file as a GIMP pattern, in .gimp-2.0/patterns subdir (with a .PAT extension), and them select your text (with select by color), and drag your pattern from the patterns dialog over the selected text.

Thanks, I was just reading help screens on that. I didnt know if patterns needed to be a specific image type or not.