RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom richardchiu 01 Jun 18:21
  Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Steve Kinney 01 Jun 21:53
   Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom richardchiu 01 Jun 22:25
    Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Steve Kinney 02 Jun 05:34
     Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Michael Schumacher 02 Jun 17:55
      Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Steve Kinney 02 Jun 18:26
  Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom richardchiu 02 Jun 20:03
   Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Michael Schumacher 02 Jun 20:12
    Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom richardchiu 02 Jun 20:32
  Using Ctrl + Scrollwheel to Zoom Liam R E Quin 03 Jun 03:55
2013-06-01 18:21:06 UTC (almost 11 years ago)
postings

I used to be able to use the shortcut of ctrl + scrollwheel to zoom around on the image I'm working on. Now I can't get this shortcut to work for me anymore. I tried reinstalling GIMP 2.8.4 with no luck.

Could somebody please help me troubleshoot this?

Steve Kinney
2013-06-01 21:53:10 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On 06/01/2013 02:21 PM, richardchiu wrote:

I used to be able to use the shortcut of ctrl + scrollwheel to zoom around on the image I'm working on. Now I can't get this shortcut to work for me anymore. I tried reinstalling GIMP 2.8.4 with no luck.

Hey Richard,

I don't know your exact problem, and the group might need details - especially your operating system ID - to figure this out, if the directons below do not work. That said, here's a picture that might be worth 1,000 words:

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

The menus shown are from GIMP 2.6 but I just took a look at 2.8 and found the same menus and options there. Double click "Main Mouse Wheel" in the Active Controllers pane under Additional Input Controllers to bring up the configuration menu.

Another thing I did when setting up GIMP 2.8 - not shown in the picture - is configure Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Scroll to:

context-brush-hardness-increase-skip (for scroll up) context-brush-hardness-decrease-skip (for scroll down)

:o)

Steve

2013-06-01 22:25:04 UTC (almost 11 years ago)
postings

Hey Richard,

I don't know your exact problem, and the group might need details - especially your operating system ID - to figure this out, if the directons below do not work. That said, here's a picture that might be worth 1,000 words:

The menus shown are from GIMP 2.6 but I just took a look at 2.8 and found the same menus and options there. Double click "Main Mouse Wheel" in the Active Controllers pane under Additional Input Controllers to bring up the configuration menu.

Another thing I did when setting up GIMP 2.8 - not shown in the picture - is configure Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Scroll to:

context-brush-hardness-increase-skip (for scroll up) context-brush-hardness-decrease-skip (for scroll down)

Steve

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I'm currently running Windows 7 if that helps at all. I attached a screenshot of my current key bindings for my main mouse wheel. I believe I set thing up fine, but they're not working as indicated. Any extra help would be nice!

I appreciate your effort.

• Main Mouse Wheel Key Bindings
    Screen.png (269 KB)
Steve Kinney
2013-06-02 05:34:05 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On 06/01/2013 06:25 PM, richardchiu wrote:

Hey Richard,

Thanks for your response. I'm currently running Windows 7 if that helps at all. I attached a screenshot of my current key bindings for my main mouse wheel. I believe I set thing up fine, but they're not working as indicated. Any extra help would be nice!

Hey again,

Your screenshot shows Alt - Scroll Up mapped to:

"tools-value-1-increase-skip"

The configuration that successfully increases the brush size maps Alt - Scroll Up to:

"tools-paint-brush-scale-increase"

I think that may be the thing to look at, ditto for the "decrease" with Alt - Scroll Down

Steve

Michael Schumacher
2013-06-02 17:55:47 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Am 02.06.2013 07:34, schrieb Steve Kinney:

The configuration that successfully increases the brush size maps Alt - Scroll Up to:

I think that may be the thing to look at, ditto for the "decrease" with Alt - Scroll Down

The initial message was about zooming with ctrl + mouse wheel - this is supposed to work without any additional config.

Where in this thread did this change to brush size changing?

Regards,
Michael
Steve Kinney
2013-06-02 18:26:14 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On 06/02/2013 01:55 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Am 02.06.2013 07:34, schrieb Steve Kinney:

The initial message was about zooming with ctrl + mouse wheel - this is supposed to work without any additional config.

Where in this thread did this change to brush size changing?

My eyes must have been crossed when I read the initial post. Sorry 'bout that!

Steve

2013-06-02 20:03:17 UTC (almost 11 years ago)
postings

As of now, I'm just using the scroll wheel solely to zoom. I guess I'll have to get used to it without the ctrl key. I guess I could live with that. Thanks everyone for looking into this. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'll be sure to listen! ;)

Michael Schumacher
2013-06-02 20:12:17 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Am 02.06.2013 22:03, schrieb richardchiu:

As of now, I'm just using the scroll wheel solely to zoom. I guess I'll have to get used to it without the ctrl key. I guess I could live with that. Thanks everyone for looking into this. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'll be sure to listen! ;)

Does anything on your system capture ctrl+wheel and use it for something else?

Regards,
Michael
2013-06-02 20:32:11 UTC (almost 11 years ago)
postings

Am 02.06.2013 22:03, schrieb richardchiu: Does anything on your system capture ctrl+wheel and use it for something
else?

I can ctrl + scrollwheel to zoom for Firefox and Microsoft Word amongst other programs. I believe there is nothing conflicting.

Liam R E Quin
2013-06-03 03:55:06 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On Sat, 2013-06-01 at 20:21 +0200, richardchiu wrote:

Control-mousewheel works here, with gimp 2.8.2 on Mageia Linux 3.0 with gnome 3.4.

Do you have a graphics tablet too? Or, have yuo configured anything in Input Devices?

Where exactly did you get gimp 2.8.4? Which Linux distribution are you using? Gnome, KDE, or what? Which version? (or, if Mac or Windows, exactly which version and 32 or 64 bit and where did yuo get it and do you also have a wacom tablet?)

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but my telepathy skills are failing me today...

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml