RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP does not support Mac Retina displays

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP does not support Mac Retina displays Maurizio Loreti 20 May 06:23
  GIMP does not support Mac Retina displays scl 20 May 08:16
   GIMP does not support Mac Retina displays Partha Bagchi 20 May 09:27
   GIMP does not support Mac Retina displays Maurizio Loreti 20 May 10:33
Maurizio Loreti
2013-05-20 06:23:16 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Hello - I am an amateur photographer, satisfied user of GIMP on Mac computers; an iMac 27" at home and a Macbook Pro with 15" Retina displays, that I use on the road. GIMP does not support my Retina high resolution display; window graphics and text appear jagged, and, while displaying the same picture on the iMac and the Macbook, the Retina picture appears to be lower quality.

It is a pity that this wonderful program, ported to the Mac with native graphics, does not support these displays.

This is of course a request for an enhancement; will you plan to support high resolution displays in the near future?

(@_   |
//\   | Maurizio Loreti - Retired physicist, happy grandfather
V_/_  | of two grandsons, wanderer and amateur photographer...
scl
2013-05-20 08:16:11 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On 20.05.13 at 08:23 AM Maurizio Loreti wrote:

[...] GIMP does not support my Retina high resolution display;

> window graphics and text appear jagged, and, while displaying > the same picture on the iMac and the Macbook, the Retina picture > appears to be lower quality.

It is a pity that this wonderful program, ported to the Mac with native graphics, does not support these displays.

This is of course a request for an enhancement; will you plan to support high resolution displays in the near future?

Hi Maurizio,

thank you for reporting this. The Retina display problem is already known and there are two bugs in our Bugtracker for this:

Bug 682178-Offscreen windows render into low-resolution pixel space [1], Bug 686454-Gimp Canvas Content Looks Distorted and Pixelated on Macbook Pro Retina [2].

If you can provide more information on this, may it be observations, technical information or whatever is constructive, your comments on these Bugzilla bugs are welcome.

The current state of development as I heard on IRC: one developer already made bugfixes but found nobody with a Retina display to test it. Perhaps we can create a new temporary development branch in our Git repository for these bugfixes, get an OS X build from it and somebody with a Retina display is willing to test (perhaps you?). The quicker we find somebody, the quicker GIMP supports Retina displays.

From a technical point of view the platform specific code for rendering on OS X is in the underlying graphics library GDK or Cairo. Can anybody clarify which is the right one in GTK2 and GTK3? If we get stuck we should ask there to build the necessary foundations.

Kind regards,

Sven

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=682178 [2] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686454

Partha Bagchi
2013-05-20 09:27:15 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

@Sven, If I understand you right, you want to know what library gtk is built with? I build gtk with the quartz backend for native OSX builds.

Hope that helps.

Partha

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:16 AM, scl wrote:

window graphics and text appear jagged, and, while displaying the same picture on the iMac and the Macbook, the Retina picture appears to be lower quality.

Hi Maurizio,

thank you for reporting this. The Retina display problem is already known and there are two bugs in our Bugtracker for this:

Bug 682178-Offscreen windows render into low-resolution pixel space [1], Bug 686454-Gimp Canvas Content Looks Distorted and Pixelated on Macbook Pro Retina [2].

If you can provide more information on this, may it be observations, technical information or whatever is constructive, your comments on these Bugzilla bugs are welcome.

The current state of development as I heard on IRC: one developer already made bugfixes but found nobody with a Retina display to test it. Perhaps we can create a new temporary development branch in our Git repository for these bugfixes, get an OS X build from it and somebody with a Retina display is willing to test (perhaps you?). The quicker we find somebody, the quicker GIMP supports Retina displays.

From a technical point of view the platform specific code for rendering on OS X is in the underlying graphics library GDK or Cairo. Can anybody clarify which is the right one in GTK2 and GTK3? If we get stuck we should ask there to build the necessary foundations.

Kind regards,

Sven

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/**show_bug.cgi?id=682178 [2] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/**show_bug.cgi?id=686454

______________________________**_________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/**mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-**list

Maurizio Loreti
2013-05-20 10:33:40 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM, scl wrote:

[...]

The Retina display problem is already known and there are two bugs in our Bugtracker for this:

[...]

The current state of development as I heard on IRC: one developer already made bugfixes but found nobody with a Retina display to test it. Perhaps we can create a new temporary development branch in our Git repository for these bugfixes, get an OS X build from it and somebody with a Retina display is willing to test (perhaps you?).

No problem, provided that 1) my "GIMP on OS X" installation, from the distribution built by Simone Karin Lehman is not affected, i.e. if I can install this
test executable in a directory different from /Applications; and 2) my personal
scripts, fonts, plugins, ... under ~/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/ are not
affected. OK, I could backup the whole stuff, but... And, well, in about ten
days I am planning to leave from home for a short trip in camping car wit limited/no web access...

(@_
/ /\      Maurizio Loreti: fisico in pensione, nonno felice di
V_/_    2 nipotini, vagabondo e fotografo a tempo perso...