RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image dsvendse 25 Jan 09:14
  Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image scl 25 Jan 10:12
   Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image Michael Schumacher 25 Jan 13:28
    00a501cdfb01$3569d600$74c8a... 25 Jan 15:01
     Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image Michael Schumacher 25 Jan 15:00
      Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image dsvendse 25 Jan 21:55
       Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image Michael Schumacher 25 Jan 23:01
  Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image Michael Schumacher 25 Jan 13:50
2013-01-25 09:14:50 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image:

*** Rotating an image in GIMP is quite simple. What I had trouble finding on-line help with, was how to Rotate an image without losing any of it's corners or other details! Here is the quick and easy solution that I came up with after several hours of trying, and one that will leave you with the complete, original image (No Cropping...no loss of image details).

Read and follow these steps carefully, and what worked for me, will work for You!

1. Open the image file into GIMP. 2. Zoom Out until the image height appears to be about one-third of your work space.
*Clicking on the 'minus' key ( - ) of your keyboard is the fastest way to do this.
3. Select Image and then Canvas Size from the top, pull-down menus. 4. In the resulting 'dialog box', just below and to the right of where it says Canvas Size:
a. Click on the two, small 'chain link' icons. b. Click on the little box that has a small, 'down arrow' on it, and select Percent.
c. Increase the Width and Height to 150%. d. Click on the box about halfway down and to the right side of the 'dialog box' that says Center. e. Click on Resize.
5. Select the Rotate Tool from the 'Toolbox-Tool Options' dock. 6. Click inside the original image. 7. Rotate the original image from either inside the resulting 'dialog box', OR by clicking/holding and dragging the original image to the desired angle.
8. Click Rotate, and wait for the original image to rotate. 9. Select Image and then Fit Canvas to Layers from the top, pull-down menus.
10. Select File and then Export from the top, pull-down menus to complete your project, just as you would for any other GIMP 2.8.0.project.

*** The values given in these steps are NOT 'written in stone'...there's nothing magical about them, but they will give you a place to start from, and do work!

Have Fun!

dsvendse

scl
2013-01-25 10:12:24 UTC (about 11 years ago)

You are right, the online help is a bit skimped in that point. The most comprehensive is written in chapter 4.5 [1]. I'd like to mention some thoughts:
- If rotating the image is embedded into a bigger workflow, steps 1 and 10 are not necessary for rotating.
- 'Image/Fit Canvas to Layers' can also grow the canvas to fit the layers. Thus steps 3 and 4 are optional.

However, thank you for your hard work and sharing your knowledge with the community!

Kind regards,

Sven

[1] http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tool-rotate.html

Michael Schumacher
2013-01-25 13:28:10 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Von: scl

You are right, the online help is a bit skimped in that point. The most comprehensive is written in chapter 4.5 [1]. I'd like to mention some thoughts:
- If rotating the image is embedded into a bigger workflow, steps 1 and 10 are not necessary for rotating.
- 'Image/Fit Canvas to Layers' can also grow the canvas to fit the layers. Thus steps 3 and 4 are optional.

However, thank you for your hard work and sharing your knowledge with the community!

But what is lost if I rotate and then adjust the canvas to the layers without doing any of the additional steps?

Regards, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2013-01-25 13:50:05 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Von: dsvendse

Rotating An Image Using GIMP 2.8.0. WITHOUT Losing Any Of The Image:

*** Rotating an image in GIMP is quite simple. What I had trouble finding on-line help with, was how to Rotate an image without losing any of it's corners or other details!

I don't see what's special to this method that would keep image details that may get lost due to resampling.

I'm also not sure how parts of the image have been lost before - the default settings of the rotate tool certainly don't do that; the resulting layer can extend beyond the canvas size, though.

That would turn the procedure into:

1. Rotate 2. Fit Canvas to Layers
(http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-image-resize-to-layers.html)

Now, if the Clipping mode of the tool is set to Clip (or anything other than Adjust, actually), then parts of the image are destroyed, and:

0. Set Clipping mode to Adjust (http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tools-transform.html#gimp-tool-transform)

has to be added to the procedure.

Am I missing something?

Regards, Michael

Michael Schumacher
2013-01-25 15:00:19 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Von: "Alex Vergara Gil"

But what is lost if I rotate and then adjust the canvas to the layers without doing any of the additional steps?

This is evidently for lossy image formats like jpg where the cosine transform is over the rows and when you rotate the image details can be lost somewhere. For lossless image formats nothing will be lost off course.

- 2x2 pixel image, solid black
- rotate by 45°
- enlarge canvas

Yes, the result for this example is probably not correct, but even if it were, you couldn't call it 'no loss of details'. And the format you're exporting to won't matter.

Regards, Michael

2013-01-25 21:55:02 UTC (about 11 years ago)
postings

WOW!!! What a GREAT team!
It sure helps to have a solid knowledge and experience base...which I do not. :-) I really enjoy learning about GIMP, and I learn more every time I sit down with it. The only online Help that I was able to find was from folks who really didn't know about GIMP's many features and tools. The solutions given me were at best, 'hack and tear' methods that saw me cropping out parts of the original image. I knew there had to be a better way, and enjoyed the process involved in finding one. I laugh now, at how close I was to the 'best' one...but still, felt good that at least mine did the job well.

REVSED and FAR BETTER SOLUTION to this problem then, would be, as given by the Team at Gimp:

1. ROTATE 2.IMAGE/FIT CANVAS TO LAYERS

THANKS folks for your speedy Replies!

It should now be easier for others with this problem to find a quick and easy solution.

Take care...

dsvendse

Michael Schumacher
2013-01-25 23:01:01 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On 25.01.2013 22:55, dsvendse wrote:

The only online Help that I was able to find was from folks who really didn't know about GIMP's many features and tools.

Never trust anyone if they don't answer your questions by pointing to the user manual.

Regards,
Michael