RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Working with imported images and layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Working with imported images and layers Fred J 31 Jul 15:02
  Working with imported images and layers David Gowers (kampu) 31 Jul 15:13
   Working with imported images and layers Fred J 31 Jul 15:20
   Working with imported images and layers Fred J 31 Jul 15:32
    Working with imported images and layers Ofnuts 31 Jul 17:00
Fred J
2011-07-31 15:02:36 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

This, besides the text tool, is probably one of the most unintuitive features in Gimp.

- Find an image on Google / hard drive. - Drop it into your working area.
- Change it's transparency.
- Resize / Rotate and, suddenly, the transparency reverts to original state.

This last step makes no sense. I changed its transparency for a reason and it must stay that way until I say so. A similar scenario is if I have that image on a layer that is below other layers. The moment I resize or rotate, it suddenly appears above all the layers, making editing incredibly unintuitive and inaccurate.

Will this be improved upon in the next Gimp?

David Gowers (kampu)
2011-07-31 15:13:49 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Fred J wrote:

This, besides the text tool, is probably one of the most unintuitive features in Gimp.

- Find an image on Google / hard drive. - Drop it into your working area.
- Change it's transparency.

This last step makes no sense. I changed its transparency for a reason and it must stay that way until I say so.

And it does stay that way. Currently, we have an opacity control in the transform dialog. This defaults to 100% IIRC. It only effects the *display* during transform. The opacity setting of the layer is unaffected, it's simply not in operation during that time.

(There are various logical problems with using the layer's opacity during transforms... eg, transforming part of a layer -> overlapping parts are inaccurate, and non-overlapping parts may be inaccurate if the layer has no alpha channel. Same applies to transforming a whole layer.. because the original is not, and must not be, hidden during the transform, inheriting the layer opacity causes problems with the accuracy of the display)

Fred J
2011-07-31 15:20:42 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

Try the same function in Photoshop and you'll see that it is not inaccurate. If you put a layer below other layers, and then work on them, there is no reason why it should suddenly "display" above all the layers, at full opacity. How I am supposed to see behind it? If I wanted it in front of the other layers, then I'd put it above the other layers. It needn't be displayed in front of / above the layers behind / below which I've placed it.

This makes for very inaccurate graphic design, and a lot more inaccurate than what you're describing.

On 31/07/2011 17:13, David Gowers (kampu) wrote:

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Fred J > wrote:

- Find an image on Google / hard drive. - Drop it into your working area. - Change it's transparency.

This last step makes no sense. I changed its transparency for a reason and it must stay that way until I say so.

And it does stay that way. Currently, we have an opacity control in the transform dialog. This defaults to 100% IIRC. It only effects the *display* during transform. The opacity setting of the layer is unaffected, it's simply not in operation during that time.

(There are various logical problems with using the layer's opacity during transforms... eg, transforming part of a layer -> overlapping parts are inaccurate, and non-overlapping parts may be inaccurate if the layer has no alpha channel. Same applies to transforming a whole layer.. because the original is not, and must not be, hidden during the transform, inheriting the layer opacity causes problems with the accuracy of the display)

Fred J
2011-07-31 15:32:21 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

This defaults to 100% IIRC. It only effects the *display* during transform.

This is the time when it shouldn't display at 100%.

Let's say I have a bunch of layers with various graphical elements. The one at the bottom is a photo that needs to be scaled up and rotated, so that it fits in better with the layers above it. The moment I attempt that, I am no longer able to see my layers because the photo layer is now displaying above everything. What now? It becomes hit-and-miss guesswork, which is counter intuitive.

On 31/07/2011 17:13, David Gowers (kampu) wrote:

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Fred J > wrote:

- Find an image on Google / hard drive. - Drop it into your working area. - Change it's transparency.

Ofnuts
2011-07-31 17:00:32 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

On 07/31/2011 05:32 PM, Fred J wrote:

This defaults to 100% IIRC. It only effects the *display* during transform.

This is the time when it shouldn't display at 100%.

Let's say I have a bunch of layers with various graphical elements. The one at the bottom is a photo that needs to be scaled up and rotated, so that it fits in better with the layers above it. The moment I attempt that, I am no longer able to see my layers because the photo layer is now displaying above everything. What now? It becomes hit-and-miss guesswork, which is counter intuitive.

That's why there is an opacity control in the layer transform tools (rotate/scale/shear/perpective) and why it applies only during the transform.

Btw if you are trying to move two layers to makje them match, there is an "exact-aligner' plugin which does everything in one transform (avoids blurriness). You pick two points on one layer, two points on the other, and it figures out the scale/rotation/offset to apply to the second to make the pair of points match:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/18961