RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

First time user

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

First time user ErnieD 01 Feb 03:56
  First time user Olivier Lecarme 01 Feb 07:19
  First time user Patrick Horgan 01 Feb 07:21
  First time user Elwin Estle 01 Feb 11:15
  First time user rich 01 Feb 12:58
2011-02-01 03:56:45 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

First time user

Hi,

I am a first time user. The first problem that I encountered was after I outlined an image in order to remove the background around it, i could not disconnect from the outline tool (scissors). How do I do the disconnect?

Thanks,

Ernie

Olivier Lecarme
2011-02-01 07:19:03 UTC (over 13 years ago)

First time user

ErnieD wrote:

Hi,

I am a first time user. The first problem that I encountered was after I outlined an image in order to remove the background around it, i could not disconnect from the outline tool (scissors). How do I do the disconnect?

Just press Enter.

Patrick Horgan
2011-02-01 07:21:58 UTC (over 13 years ago)

First time user

On 01/31/2011 07:56 PM, ErnieD wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Ernie

Select a different tool.

Elwin Estle
2011-02-01 11:15:15 UTC (over 13 years ago)

First time user

I am guessing that you mean when you finished going around the area you wanted to remove, that you were unable to close the scissors loop? The scissors tool can be quite fussy like that. You have to hit your starting point exactly.

But if that isn't the problem, then yes, like someone else said, just choose another tool.

The scissors tool really isn't the best way to remove a background. You might look into the foreground select tool, or one of several other "rendering" methods (removing a background is called "rendering", not to be confused with the "rendering" done by 3D software, such as Blender). Some people use the paths tool, some people use Quickmask, and some people (such as myself) use a layer mask, you can even combine rendering methods. Start with the foreground select tool to create a rough selection, which you then turn into a layer mask and refine by painting on the mask.

There are tutorials for all these methods available in several places on the net.

--- On Mon, 1/31/11, ErnieD wrote:

Subject: [Gimp-user] First time user To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Cc: team@gimpusers.com
Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 10:56 PM Hi,

Thanks,

Ernie

-- ErnieD (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

rich
2011-02-01 12:58:40 UTC (over 13 years ago)

First time user

Hi,

Thanks,

Ernie

maybe look at this tutorial

http://gimpology.com/submission/view/using_the_scissor_tool