RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

bmp files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

bmp files Bunkster48 06 Aug 04:29
  bmp files Mike Marchywka 06 Aug 13:39
  bmp files ReaganAnderson 28 Dec 08:28
mailman.1.1281121203.6902.g... 07 Oct 20:21
  bmp files Myke C. Subs 07 Aug 01:21
2010-08-06 04:29:59 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

bmp files

I have run into a problem with Gimp. I had scanned a lot of photos using a windows based program. I just discovered that I cannot open any of them in Gimp. I get an error message that "this is not a valid bmp file". Yet I can open and view them in other programs such as Fspot and g thumbs. Has anyone an explanation. I had hoped to touch up these photos. These were my good photos and spent hours scanning them some years ago. Now I am fearing that they are no good.

Mike Marchywka
2010-08-06 13:39:22 UTC (over 13 years ago)

bmp files

----------------------------------------

To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU From: forums@gimpusers.com
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 04:29:59 +0200 Subject: [Gimp-user] bmp files

I have run into a problem with Gimp. I had scanned a lot of photos using a windows based program. I just discovered that I cannot open any of them in Gimp. I get an error message that "this is not a valid bmp file". Yet I can open and view them in other programs such as Fspot and g thumbs. Has anyone an explanation. I had hoped to touch up these photos. These were my good photos and spent hours scanning them some years ago. Now I am fearing that they are no good.

get something like imagemagick and use utilities like identify or convert and examine metadata for clues or just try to convert formats and see what happens. This should tell you more completely what state the files are in and you can figure out how to proceed then. Probably easiest thing to do is just convert them losslessly into another format, maybe even just convert bmp to bmp if they are in a "bmp" format other utilities can read,

--
Ken (via www.gimpusers.com)

Myke C. Subs
2010-08-07 01:21:22 UTC (over 13 years ago)

bmp files

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 04:29:59 +0200 (CEST) From: "Ken"
Subject: [Gimp-user] bmp files
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:

Ken,

If at all possible, use any other program to convert your BMP images to PNG format. You can think of PNG as being "losslessly compressed BMP". Not only will you most likely solve your problem with The Gimp not being able to open your files, you will also reduce the filesize of each image by approximately 35% without losing any quality. To my knowledge, there is zero advantage to storing/keeping images in BMP format, thanks to PNG.

Let us know how it goes,

Myke

2021-12-28 08:28:40 UTC (about 2 years ago)
postings

bmp files

BMP files are here for the support and proper kind of the help with the available kind of the great options. The log in page is here that can be used for the management of https://bestonlinewritingservice.com/ with the used and available kind of the files with the suitable shows.