RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 02 Feb 14:02
  problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Sven Neumann 02 Feb 15:27
   problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Alexandre Prokoudine 02 Feb 15:50
    problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 02 Feb 16:20
    problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Sven Neumann 02 Feb 16:52
     problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 02 Feb 18:54
   problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 02 Feb 16:19
  problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp straykite 08 Dec 21:32
problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Xiella Harksell 02 Feb 21:32
  problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 03 Feb 07:41
   problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp kruegerfreddy 03 Feb 16:54
    problem with genius 8x6 tablet and gimp Ohad 03 Feb 21:14
2010-02-02 14:02:34 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

Hi.

I've just replaced my old AceCad tablet with Genius 8x6 tablet.

it works fine in ALL programs I checked except for GIMP ..... :(

The problem is that the x-axis doens't react as it should. for example - if I user a brush tool - I get two cursors - one with a brush where the pen is and another where it actualy draws.
I've googled for a few hours with no aparent solution.

I'm using gimp 2.6.8 on windows XP home edition. To my best knowledge, the tablet driver is the latest and it seems to work fine. I also get preasure recognition both in gimp and in the tablet utility.

Do you know of any solution about this frustrating situation ?

Thanks, Ohad.

Sven Neumann
2010-02-02 15:27:58 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 14:02 +0100, Ohad N. wrote:

The problem is that the x-axis doens't react as it should. for example - if I user a brush tool - I get two cursors - one with a brush where the pen is and another where it actualy draws.

I'm using gimp 2.6.8 on windows XP home edition. To my best knowledge, the tablet driver is the latest and it seems to work fine. I also get preasure recognition both in gimp and in the tablet utility.

Grab the source code (of GTK+) and add support for your tablet to it. Then send a patch to the GTK+ developers. You can also try to ask the tablet vendor to add proper support for their tablet to GTK+.

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-02-02 15:50:36 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Grab the source code (of GTK+) and add support for your tablet to it. Then send a patch to the GTK+ developers. You can also try to ask the tablet vendor to add proper support for their tablet to GTK+.

Funnily enough the tablet is reported to work with GIMP just fine on Linux.

Alexandre

2010-02-02 16:19:07 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

Hi,
Tx for the quick response but it is not realy helpful. I don't have the time or knowledge to dive into GTK+ code and manipulate it.

If someone thinks it might help clarify the problem, I will be happy to upload a screen capture image of the problem.

Ohad.

2010-02-02 16:20:52 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

hi Alexandre,
Thanks for response.
unfortunately, Moving to linux right now is not an option. Any other ideas ?

Thanks, Ohad.

Sven Neumann
2010-02-02 16:52:16 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 17:50 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Funnily enough the tablet is reported to work with GIMP just fine on Linux.

That is not too surprising. The Windows port of GTK+ does not get as much contributions as the X11/Linux backend. There are probably a lot more GIMP users on Windows than there are on Linux, but still there are almost no code contributions for the Windows specific parts of the code. It's the same for scanners and printing. Windows is a second-class citizen, simply because there is almost no contributions from Windows users.

Sven

2010-02-02 18:54:35 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

Indeed frustrating .....

I've tried to isolate the problem and when I run gimp with : gimp-2.6.exe - --no-wintab

it works fine as for the cursor(s) location, but I loose all the pressure sensativity so it is not much for a help for real drawings.

Maybe you know how to activate the option --gtk-debug=FLAGS

I can put a dump from the debug and maybe someone would have an idea.

Thanks, Ohad.

Xiella Harksell
2010-02-02 21:32:40 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Hi everyone,
This is my first post to the list and I'm still a GIMP newbie so I apologise in advance if I've violated a posting convention or sound particularly naive.

Ohad:

The problem is that the x-axis doens't react as it should. for example -

if I

user a brush tool - I get two cursors - one with a brush where the pen is

and

another where it actualy draws.

If someone thinks it might help clarify the problem, I will be happy to upload a screen capture image of the problem.

I've experienced my y-axis being uncontrollable (with the x axis mapping fine) but it was not accompanied by two cursors. Could you elaborate a bit more on what your specific problem is? Unfortunately I don't remember how I fixed my y-axis problem (sorry - was also on an Aiptek not Genius tablet) but a screen capture might be useful.

I have also experienced a two-cursor situation but that was due to settings for a Wacom tablet. The tablet was configured within GIMP to map to "within the program window", thus creating two cursors when the operating system additionally mapped it to the context of the entire desktop frame (I don't know what the proper terms are sorry). I rectified this by configuring the tablet in GIMP to the context of the desktop frame as well. Have you checked Preferences > Input Devices > Configure Extended Input Devices in case that's the reason?

Kind regards Xiella

2010-02-03 07:41:00 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

Hi Xiella,
Thanks for the response. I've created a screen shot showing the problem : http://www.flickr.com/photos/47152508@N05/4326636701/

Now, about your suggestion - I think that I tried everything in the preferences regarding the tablet but I would be happy to try once more. Please instruct me on what options should I state for tablet (window ? screen ? something else ?) and I would try and return with the results.

Thank you for your time and effort. Ohad.

2010-02-03 16:54:06 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

I have the same Problem using a Genius 5x4. I did call up the support Hotline. The only solution they gave was "buy Photoshop" :-(

Cant use Inkscape as well.

2010-02-03 21:14:35 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

What a wonderful solution ....
I hope there is someone out there that might come up with a good solution or workaround for this problem.

Best regards, Ohad.

2010-12-08 21:32:09 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

I have a possible solution to this problem - but you're not going to like it.

My guess is, that like me - you have a second monitor.

I think that what's happening is that Gimp is not dealing well with the extended desktop, and that's why the x-axis is getting confused.

I found that unplugging my second monitor, and rebooting, as well as setting the device mode back to 'screen' made everything work properly.

It's hardly a suitable solution - but might help to point out where the problem lies.

Hi.

Thanks,
Ohad.

I'm having the same problem, and while I can't offer a solution, I might be able to offer a bit more information.

I'm running with two monitors, and I'm wondering if