RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP Deniz Dogan 28 Jan 10:52
  Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP Michael J. Hammel 28 Jan 16:46
Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP Gino D 28 Jan 12:43
  Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP David Gowers 28 Jan 13:18
   Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP Deniz Dogan 28 Jan 13:31
   Quick copy-pasting between Inkscape and GIMP Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Jan 13:39
Deniz Dogan
2010-01-28 10:52:39 UTC (over 14 years ago)

I understand that this could just as well have been posted on the Inkscape mailing list (if there is any) but I'm only a subscriber to this one, so here goes nothing.

I'm looking for a faster way to copy-paste things from Inkscape into GIMP. My current procedure involves exporting the drawing from Inkscape to PNG, then opening the PNG in GIMP and copy-pasting it into the image I want to have it in. Is there any faster way?

Gino D
2010-01-28 12:43:33 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Hi.

I understand that this could just as well have been posted on the

Inkscape mailing list (if there is any) but I'm only a subscriber to this one, so here goes nothing.

I'm looking for a faster way to copy-paste things from Inkscape into GIMP. My current procedure involves exporting the drawing from Inkscape to PNG, then opening the PNG in GIMP and copy-pasting it into the image I want to have it in. Is there any faster way?

I've just noticed that, when you paste into GIMP any shape copied from Inkscape, such object is appended as new path rather than as new layer, and there seems to be no other possibility. However, once you exported an Inkscape object as a PNG file, a faster way to import this into a GIMP image is to select the special command ' File -> Open as Layers ' , through which you will be able to insert the PNG file as new layer along with its handy transparent background. Otherwise, you might try to use an intermediate application between Inkscape and GIMP, like Paint for Windows, that may recognize and paste any Inkscape clipboard as a raster object, that you will afterward copy and paste into GIMP as real layer; unfortunately, this way the transparent background could be lost.

David Gowers
2010-01-28 13:18:47 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Gino D wrote:

Hi.

I understand that this could just as well have been posted on the Inkscape mailing list (if there is any) but I'm only a subscriber to this one, so here goes nothing.

I've just noticed that, when you paste into GIMP any shape copied from Inkscape, such object is appended as new path rather than as new layer, and there seems to be no other possibility. However, once you exported an Inkscape object as a PNG file, a faster way to import this into a GIMP image is to select the special command ' File -> Open as Layers ' , through which you will be able to insert the PNG file as new layer along with its handy transparent background.

You should also be able to open the SVG file directly rather than first exporting a PNG with that same 'Open as Layers' command.

Deniz Dogan
2010-01-28 13:31:16 UTC (over 14 years ago)

2010/1/28 David Gowers :

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Gino D wrote:

Hi.

I've just noticed that, when you paste into GIMP any shape copied from Inkscape, such object is appended as new path rather than as new layer, and there seems to be no other possibility. However, once you exported an Inkscape object as a PNG file, a faster way to import this into a GIMP image is to select the special command ' File -> Open as Layers ' , through which you will be able to insert the PNG file as new layer along with its handy transparent background.

You should also be able to open the SVG file directly rather than first exporting a PNG with that same 'Open as Layers' command.

Cool, I didn't know that was what "Open as Layers" was for! Before, I opened the PNG, selected all the content, copy, switch to the other image, paste, create new layer. Useful!

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-01-28 13:39:29 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM, David Gowers wrote:

Sure, but... SVG Filters? Masks? Clipping paths? :)

Alexandre

Michael J. Hammel
2010-01-28 16:46:40 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 10:52 +0100, Deniz Dogan wrote:

You've got lots of answers, so there are lots of ways to do this. I open new images (like a PNG) and then click and drag the thumbnail in the layers dialog for that image into another image window and drop it.

Don't know if that's faster, but its an easy process for me since I have multiple monitors on which to do this.