RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format [OT]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format J4 11 Jan 10:31
GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format [OT] Marc Carson 12 Jan 08:57
  GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format [OT] J4 12 Jan 09:56
mailman.3.1263240003.27427.... 07 Oct 20:20
  GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format Paul Naude 12 Jan 08:46
mailman.287616.1263316526.1... 07 Oct 20:20
  GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format [OT] Paul Naude 13 Jan 08:36
J4
2010-01-11 10:31:02 UTC (over 14 years ago)

GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format

Dear all,

This is a question about Gimp and the Nikon NRW raw file format.

I have the gimp plugin for ufraw installed. I used ufraw to open the Nikon NRW raw file format and it worked well. If I try and use GIMP to open the NRW file then it complains that it does not understand the file format. When I open an NRW file with ufraw and select send the file to GIMP then GIMP does not know how to handle the file.

I suspect that the Gimp plugin does not recognise the NRW format and has to be updated somewhere.

Does anyone know how to mend this?

Yours sincerely, J.

Paul Naude
2010-01-12 08:46:45 UTC (over 14 years ago)

GIMP, UFraw and the NIKON NRW raw file format

I use Nikon's NEF raw format without problem (NIKON D5000). I am not sure why you have a NRW format. What camera do you have?

ESTEQ Engineering (PTY) Ltd (the Company) Directors: JJ Oosthuizen, HG Viljoen, E Murison, YE Pieterse Block 6, Tijgervallei Office Park, Silverlakes Road, Silverlakes, 0081, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa. Disclaimer: 1) Confidentiality: This email, sent from p.naude@esteq.com to gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU on Tue Jan 12 09:47:49 2010 , is confidential and may contain privileged or copyright information. You may not present this message to another party without consent from the sender If you are not gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU please notify p.naude@esteq.com and delete this email, and you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. 2) Liability: This email is not a binding agreement and does not conclude an agreement without the express confirmation by the sender's superior or a director of the Company. 3) Viruses: The Company does not certify that this email is free of viruses or defects. 4) Requested: The Company does not consent to its employees sending un-asked for emails which contravene the law. In the event that you feel this email is such, please notify the Company in order for the appropriate corrective action to be taken. 5) Advice: Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Any actions taken on the basis of this email are at the reader's own risk. 6) Other: The sender of this email is expressly required not make any defamatory statements. Any such communication is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising.

Marc Carson
2010-01-12 08:57:15 UTC (over 14 years ago)

OT: Paul, just wanted to say that this is the most astoundingly over-the-top use of an HTML email I have ever seen, and seeing it on this list in particular is almost like some sort of a gift to those of us with a dark sense of humor. :-) Bravo

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Paul Naude wrote:

Home | Training | Support | Contact Us

I use Nikon's NEF raw format without problem (NIKON D5000). I am not sure why you have a NRW format. What camera do you have?

J4
2010-01-12 09:56:08 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Hear hear. I am impressed.

Back on topic. The NRW is Nikon new raw file format and can be found in the Nikon CoolPix P6000. Here is an article about it: http://www.richardshih.com/blog/?p=326

I spoke with LightCrafts yesterday & they told me that Lightzone can decode the NRW format by renaming the file extension to NEF. I have not tried this yet, but they did send me a screenshot of my NRW raw file file opened in Lightzone, which is a relief.

Ufraw does decode this so think it is just a matter of telling the ufraw gimp plugin to recognise the the extension, or have ufraw correctly pass this to Gimp. I know very little about how this works so think someone more knowledgeable ought to shed more light.

Marc Carson wrote:

OT: Paul, just wanted to say that this is the most astoundingly over-the-top use of an HTML email I have ever seen, and seeing it on this list in particular is almost like some sort of a gift to those of us with a dark sense of humor. :-) Bravo

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Paul Naude wrote:

Home | Training | Support | Contact Us

Paul Naude
2010-01-13 08:36:44 UTC (over 14 years ago)

I apologise!!!!

I constantly forget to switch to Plain text and excluded all the corporate paraphernalia! It is added automatically and so we don't even see it! (unless being sent back in reply).

I will try to remember!

I enjoy this mail group since there is still so much to learn of Gimp!