RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Modifying an image...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Modifying an image... zed 28 Aug 03:28
  Modifying an image... Greg Chapman 28 Aug 11:08
   Modifying an image... zed 29 Aug 00:52
    Modifying an image... Greg Chapman 29 Aug 01:16
     Modifying an image... zed 29 Aug 04:36
  Modifying an image... Bob Long 29 Aug 04:11
   Modifying an image... zed 29 Aug 04:38
  Modifying an image... Robert L Cochran 29 Aug 14:35
   Modifying an image... zed 29 Aug 20:54
  Modifying an image... Jaime Seuma 29 Aug 19:31
   Modifying an image... zed 29 Aug 20:44
zed
2009-08-28 03:28:23 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

I am very new to The Gimp and, at the moment, floundering :-(

I want to have some CDs printed with the LinuxMINT logo but the person printing the CDs for me wants the image modified to remove the 'hole' in the centre.

I've copied part of the image in an ellipse to cover the 'hole' but am left with the edge of the circle, and have no idea how to blend this with the rest of the image.

Any tips would be very welcome but not "too" technical, please.

Zed

Greg Chapman
2009-08-28 11:08:29 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Hi Zed,

On 28 Aug 09 02:28 zed said:

I've copied part of the image in an ellipse to cover the 'hole' but am left with the edge of the circle, and have no idea how to blend this with the rest of the image.

When you select the part of the image you want, before copying, apply some feathering to it. This provides a blurred edge which should achieve a subtle blend when pasted to cover the hole.

Greg Chapman http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP

zed
2009-08-29 00:52:37 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Greg Chapman wrote:

Hi Zed,

On 28 Aug 09 02:28 zed said:

When you select the part of the image you want, before copying, apply some feathering to it. This provides a blurred edge which should achieve a subtle blend when pasted to cover the hole.

Thank you, Greg. Although not perfect, the result I achieved with feathering is reasonably acceptable. What is better, is that I have learnt something.

Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Saturday morning.

Zed

Greg Chapman
2009-08-29 01:16:45 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Hi Zed,

On 28 Aug 09 23:52 zed said:

Although not perfect, the result I achieved with feathering is reasonably acceptable. What is better, is that I have learnt something.

I confess that normally I'd use the clone stamp tool for covering some "blemish" in an image.

Using a soft-edged brush should allow you to obtain a very satisfactory result as it gives you finer control than trying to take a single lump of colour from one place to another.

Greg Chapman http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP

Bob Long
2009-08-29 04:11:06 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

zed wrote:

I want to have some CDs printed with the LinuxMINT logo but the person printing the CDs for me wants the image modified to remove the 'hole' in the centre.

A non-GIMP solution: look at using the Draw component of the OpenOffice.org software. By manipulating circle shapes you can make the outside of the image circular, and also hide the centre hole. Still use GIMP for manipulating the image itself, but it can remain square, say.

zed
2009-08-29 04:36:00 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Greg Chapman wrote:

Hi Zed,

On 28 Aug 09 23:52 zed said:

Although not perfect, the result I achieved with feathering is reasonably acceptable. What is better, is that I have learnt something.

I confess that normally I'd use the clone stamp tool for covering some "blemish" in an image.

Using a soft-edged brush should allow you to obtain a very satisfactory result as it gives you finer control than trying to take a single lump of colour from one place to another.

Thanks for the additional tip. Now I've started playing with the Gimp, I can see I have much to learn.

Zed

zed
2009-08-29 04:38:09 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Bob Long wrote:

zed wrote:

A non-GIMP solution: look at using the Draw component of the OpenOffice.org software. By manipulating circle shapes you can make the outside of the image circular, and also hide the centre hole. Still use GIMP for manipulating the image itself, but it can remain square, say.

As is said, "There's more than one way to kill the cat" :-) I'll give ooO Draw a go. Thank you.

Zed

Robert L Cochran
2009-08-29 14:35:17 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

The book "Beginning GIMP" by Akkana Peck is really good and always close by me when I'm using Gimp...which is pretty often these days. Akkana shows a lot of examples in her book and explains them in a way that is easy to understand. You can quickly be using the same techniques and will feel like a pro. For example I wanted to show someone the measurements of a large mug I was using to lather my shaving soap in. I photographed the mug and added lines and text layers by the lines to show approximate diameter and a few other measurements. It took about 10 minutes and the result was an instantly usable photo for a potter. I learned how to do it by checking Akkana's book. It has a reasonably good index and you can quickly find the subject of interest.

Bob

Sent on a rainy, humid, Maryland morning. I'm located on roughly the middle of the U. S. east coast. Our main export seems to be politics.

On 08/27/2009 09:28 PM, zed wrote:

Zed

Jaime Seuma
2009-08-29 19:31:14 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

zed wrote:

Zed

Hi.

Yo could also try to put the ellipse part in a new layer, with a layer mask; and then in the layer mask set an ellipse gradient. If I got right what you want to do, by doing this you could achieve a smoother blend of layers than using feathered borders.

Hope it helps.

Jaime

zed
2009-08-29 20:44:30 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Jaime Seuma wrote:

zed wrote:

Zed

Hi.

Yo could also try to put the ellipse part in a new layer, with a layer mask; and then in the layer mask set an ellipse gradient. If I got right what you want to do, by doing this you could achieve a smoother blend of layers than using feathered borders.

Thank you, Jamie. I'll have a look at that option but at this stage of learning Gimp it is probably too complex for me :-(

Zed

zed
2009-08-29 20:54:02 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Modifying an image...

Robert L Cochran wrote:

The book "Beginning GIMP" by Akkana Peck is really good and always close by me when I'm using Gimp...which is pretty often these days. Akkana shows

[snip]

Thank you, Bob. I've just placed an order for the book.

Zed