RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I use measure tool in mm

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do I use measure tool in mm Jay Smith 28 May 16:29
  How do I use measure tool in mm David Gowers 28 May 16:48
   How do I use measure tool in mm Olivier Lecarme 28 May 16:59
    How do I use measure tool in mm Jay Smith 28 May 17:41
     How do I use measure tool in mm Sven Neumann 28 May 21:32
Jay Smith
2009-05-28 16:29:01 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the measure tool to show results in mm.

So far the only way I have been able to figure out how to measure in mm is to: select the region I wish to measure, copy, create from clipboard, and then use one of the print size or scale dialogs and change the units in that dialog to mm.

There has to be a better way.

Thanks.

Jay

David Gowers
2009-05-28 16:48:01 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

So far the only way I have been able to figure out how to measure in mm is to: select the region I wish to measure, copy, create from clipboard, and then use one of the print size or scale dialogs and change the units in that dialog to mm.

It's a bit too late in the day for me to check here -- however, I thought that the Measure tool typically used image units -- so if that's set to mm, so should the measure tool give mm. I'm pretty sure this happened for me with inches, it was quite annoying in my case.

David

Olivier Lecarme
2009-05-28 16:59:57 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

David Gowers wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

It's a bit too late in the day for me to check here -- however, I thought that the Measure tool typically used image units -- so if that's set to mm, so should the measure tool give mm. I'm pretty sure this happened for me with inches, it was quite annoying in my case.

The measure tool uses whatever unit is specified in the bottom of the image window.

Jay Smith
2009-05-28 17:41:50 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On 05/28/2009 10:59 AM, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Jay Smith wrote: Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.

David Gowers wrote:

It's a bit too late in the day for me to check here -- however, I

thought that the Measure tool typically used image units -- so if that's set to mm, so should the measure tool give mm. I'm pretty sure this happened for me with inches, it was quite annoying in my case.

On 05/28/2009 10:59 AM, Olivier Lecarme wrote: The measure tool uses whatever unit is specified in the bottom of the image window.

Aha! Thank you Olivier!

What I was missing was that the default at the bottom of the image window seems to be px. I did the measure and was seeing px in the info dialog. I _did_ then change to mm at the bottom of the image window, but the info in the info dialog did not change dynamically when the setting at the bottom of the image window was changed. However, now that you have mentioned this, I tried again and RE-measured after changing the bottom of the image window to mm and now, yes, the mm info is additional in the info dialog.

!! It would be nice if the info dialog would refresh dynamically when the setting at the bottom of the image window changes.

Otherwise.... I still don't know how to change the _default_ to mm. Can that be done? I don't see anything in Edit Preferences or Edit Units that sets a default.

In general, IMHO one of the weaker areas of gimp is the seeming lack of ability to set/save/remember default units in quite a few dialogs.

Jay

Sven Neumann
2009-05-28 21:32:27 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:41 -0400, Jay Smith wrote:

What I was missing was that the default at the bottom of the image window seems to be px. I did the measure and was seeing px in the info dialog. I _did_ then change to mm at the bottom of the image window, but the info in the info dialog did not change dynamically when the setting at the bottom of the image window was changed. However, now that you have mentioned this, I tried again and RE-measured after changing the bottom of the image window to mm and now, yes, the mm info is additional in the info dialog.

!! It would be nice if the info dialog would refresh dynamically when the setting at the bottom of the image window changes.

Yes that would be nice. A patch that implements this would be much appreciated.

Sven