RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I avoid error message _windows_ when opening tif files created in Photoshop? (MaxSampleValue, MinSampleValue)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Jay Smith
2009-04-23 15:57:11 UTC (about 15 years ago)

How do I avoid error message _windows_ when opening tif files created in Photoshop? (MaxSampleValue, MinSampleValue)

I am using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.

We have recently started using Gimp. We have to edit many (thousands) of TIF image files originally created with Photoshop 5.0.2 or 5.5.x on Windows.

These files open just fine in Gimp, though Gimp does not seem to utilize the embedded preview image that Photoshop created (that would be helpful).

However, _every_ time such a file is opened for the first time (until it has been modified in Gimp), we get an error message window with multiple error messages:

======

Window Title: GIMP Message

TIFF image Message incorrect count for field "MinSampleValue" (1, expecting 3): tag ignored

TIFF image Message incorrect count for field "MaxSampleValue" (1, expecting 3): tag ignored

TIFF image Message incorrect count for field "MinSampleValue" (1, expecting 3): tag ignored

Too many error messages! Messages are redirected to stderr.

======

Then, in stderr (the terminal window from which I started Gimp), I get one more that would not fit in the above message window:

dcraw -i '/q/images/jsa/source/Topics/Slania/Monaco/Proofs/085_127791.tif' Cannot decode file
/q/images/jsa/source/Topics/Slania/Monaco/Proofs/085_127791.tif TIFF image: incorrect count for field "MaxSampleValue" (1, expecting 3); tag ignored

====

How can I tell Gimp to suppress reporting such errors and/or direct all such errors to stderr instead of Gimp opening up a "GIMP Message" window that has to be dismissed every darn time I open one of these old image files?

Also, a minor irritant: The "GIMP Message" window is not shown in the various lists of windows in my desktop's task bar. My desktop is KDE 3.5.10. Thus if I don't dismiss each such window as they come up, they end up hanging around under other windows and one could easily end up with lots and lots of them present. And I can't get at them by using the task bar lists.

Jay

David Gowers
2009-04-23 16:04:57 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Hi Jay,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

How can I tell Gimp to suppress reporting such errors and/or direct all such errors to stderr instead of Gimp opening up a "GIMP Message" window that has to be dismissed every darn time I open one of these old image files?

Also, a minor irritant: The "GIMP Message" window is not shown in the various lists of windows in my desktop's task bar.  My desktop is KDE 3.5.10.  Thus if I don't dismiss each such window as they come up, they end up hanging around under other windows and one could easily end up with lots and lots of them present.  And I can't get at them by using the task bar lists.

Have you tried creating an 'Error Console' dockable? It normally catches such messages which would otherwise cause popups.

David

Jay Smith
2009-04-23 16:49:14 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On 04/23/2009 10:04 AM, David Gowers wrote:

Hi Jay,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

Also, a minor irritant: The "GIMP Message" window is not shown in the various lists of windows in my desktop's task bar. My desktop is KDE 3.5.10. Thus if I don't dismiss each such window as they come up, they end up hanging around under other windows and one could easily end up with lots and lots of them present. And I can't get at them by using the task bar lists.

Have you tried creating an 'Error Console' dockable? It normally catches such messages which would otherwise cause popups.

David

Thanks David,

That did the trick. But...

a) Now I have yet another window on my desktop whenever I run Gimp. Is there any way to "hide" it?

b) Is there any way to simply tell gimp to ignore these particular error messages?

c) Are these really proper error messages? What exactly is it complaining about and why? Are the files that Photoshop created defective in some way? Or have the standards changed?

Jay

David Gowers
2009-04-24 03:57:59 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Hi Jay,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Jay Smith wrote:

On 04/23/2009 10:04 AM, David Gowers wrote:

David

Thanks David,

That did the trick.  But...

a) Now I have yet another window on my desktop whenever I run Gimp.  Is there any way to "hide" it?

Why would you have another window? You know.. Dockables are called that because you can dock them :) Surely you already had some attached to your toolbox? Personally I have only two windows on my desktop, the image window and the toolbox (with lots of dockables attached). I'm not sure why you would have a multiplicity of windows if you could avoid it.

b) Is there any way to simply tell gimp to ignore these particular error messages?

No (short of editing the source and recompiling)

c) Are these really proper error messages?  What exactly is it complaining about and why?  Are the files that Photoshop created defective in some way?  Or have the standards changed?

I don't know *exactly* what it is talking about, but, according to http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf&ei=zRrxSaSVBJX0tAOT_-D3Cg&usg=AFQjCNFrxJb-bxA-_MzplqUU6YfaAwtVIw , MinSampleValue and MaxSampleValue are only to be used for statistical purposes and not to effect display or print in any way -- so I am guessing that warnings rather than errors should be given.

I think it's quite possible that PS is creating defective files, as that part of the TIFF spec seems ill-defined. I don't really understand why GIMP is expecting 3; Intuitively I would expect it to expect 1. It's possible that this is a GIMP bug caused by copy+paste (probably from the code to handle MaxSampleValue, where in my limited understanding, expecting 3 is often sensible.)

In any case, I recommend you file a bug report about it ( http://www.gimp.org/bugs )

David