RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Blending two photos

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Blending two photos Alf C Stockton 21 Dec 16:03
  Blending two photos Marco Wessel 21 Dec 16:14
   Blending two photos Alf C Stockton 23 Dec 06:27
Alf C Stockton
2003-12-21 16:03:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Blending two photos

I have two photos taken 6 months apart. Both were taken at 07:00 AM, of the sunrise ie One in the middle of winter and the other in the middle of summer.

Now what I would like to do is combine the two images into one but with one fading into the other.

At first glance the blend tool should do the trick but as neither image has a single colour background this, I do not believe, will work.

The secnd approach I took was as laid out in an article by Eric Jeschke in Linux Journal April 2003 using Layer Masks and adding Filters, however either I am doing something really silly or this does not work in Gimp 1.3.20.

So, so far I am a little confused.

Any suggestions on how I should attempt this will be gratefully accepted.

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased."
-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"

Marco Wessel
2003-12-21 16:14:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Blending two photos

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 05:03:32PM +0200, Alf C Stockton wrote:

I have two photos taken 6 months apart. Both were taken at 07:00 AM, of the sunrise ie One in the middle of winter and the other in the middle of summer.

Just ouf of curiosity -- can you show us the pictures? I have a feeling it'll look awesome as a wallpaper..

Jeschke in Linux Journal April 2003 using Layer Masks and adding Filters, however either I am doing something really silly or this does not work in Gimp 1.3.20.

Layer masks are what you need indeed. If I understand what you want correctly, this is what you should do:

Add a layer mask to the top layer (right-click; add layer mask)

Click the layer mask preview (next to the layer preview) to make sure it's selected. For some unholy reason the border that shows it's selected is white here, but it's there.

Select the gradient tool, and proceed to make a black to white gradient.

Because the layer mask was selected, instead of a black/white gradient you'll see the layer become transparent where the layer mask is black, and translucent where it's gray. The white area will be opaque.

Once again, this is my interpretation of what you want to achieve. I could be All Wrong.

Marco Wessel

Alf C Stockton
2003-12-23 06:27:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Blending two photos

Thank you for your help.
When I get the image to where I want it it will appear, in a cutdown form, on my web site at www.stockton.co.za. If you then want the original all you need to do is ask me and I would be happy to share it.

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za

Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it.