RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Reducing file size

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Reducing file size cbnrm.biz 17 Dec 15:05
  Reducing file size Joao S. O. Bueno 17 Dec 15:28
Re  : Reducing file size Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 17 Dec 15:28
cbnrm.biz
2003-12-17 15:05:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Reducing file size

I have a jpg file, a photo, that I need to reduce from 152 K to max. 30 K before I can upload it to a web site. I was advised to do this with GIMP. However, as a complete novice I can't figure out how to do it. Can somebody pls give me some pointers?

regards, Lars

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2003-12-17 15:28:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Re  : Reducing file size

If you use "save as" and set the extension to jpg, it will ask you for the quality level of the saved jpeg file. You can click the preview check-box to see what you are doing. Just near this box you can see the size of the generated file. Change the quality with the ruler until the size is near what you want. (the size update is not really real time but this is not a problem).

-- Regards
- Jean-Luc

Le 17.12.2003 15:05, cbnrm.biz a écrit : |I have a jpg file, a photo, that I need to reduce from 152 K to max. |30 K before I can upload it to a web site. I was advised to do this |with GIMP. However, as a complete novice I can't figure out how to do
|it. Can somebody pls give me some pointers? |
|regards, Lars
|

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-12-17 15:28:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Reducing file size

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 12:05, cbnrm.biz wrote:

I have a jpg file, a photo, that I need to reduce from 152 K to max. 30 K before I can upload it to a web site. I was advised to do this with GIMP. However, as a complete novice I can't figure out how to do it. Can somebody pls give me some pointers?

regards, Lars

Can you open the file in GIMP?
If so, just right click on the image, choose FILE, Save as, filename.jpg (which may be the same name, or another name, but has to end in .jpg).
After that you will be presented a dialog box where you can choose the quality setting . Reduce it, and the final size of the image will change.

Regards,
JS
->