RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

crop via pan & zoom ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

crop via pan & zoom ? Darxus@ChaosReigns.com 10 Dec 19:53
  crop via pan & zoom ? Sven Neumann 10 Dec 20:07
  crop via pan & zoom ? Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk 11 Dec 07:13
Darxus@ChaosReigns.com
2003-12-10 19:53:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

crop via pan & zoom ?

Lately I've been using the GIMP a lot to crop images with a specific aspect ratio in mind, often with the intention of resizing the result down to a given resolution.

Examples: * Cropping and scaling a picture down to a LiveJournal userpic. * Cropping a picture down to 5"x7" for professional printing (maintaining the original resolution but scaling the dpi).

I think the pan and zoom interface on the Aladdin Digital Photo Centers (printing kiosks) are much more useful for this sort of thing than the GIMP's crop & resize tool. I think the pan & zoom feature on my camera is even better. The Aladdin displays the entire image, showing a rectangle around what you've selected to crop, with buttons to pan up/down/left/right, and shrink/enlarge the selection box. I think it's better to show only what you've selected to crop, as a sort of preview of the resulting image, similar to the interface on my camera (if only it could do the cropping....).

To do this via the GIMP, currently the best way I've found is, using the crop & resize tool, select an area roughly the size and shape that I want, pick which of the dimensions (X / Y) that I care most about, calculate the appropriate dimension for the other based on the aspect ratio that I need, type that in, re-adjust the position of the selection box, then click crop. Having a button to lock the aspect ratio (like in the scale image tool) would be an improvement, but I really think a pan / zoom / preview type interface would be much better.

I'm currently trying to crop and scale a picture down to 640x480. I really like a particular view of it zoomed in and panned around on my camera, but am having a lot of difficulty getting it just right via the tools I'm aware of in the GIMP.

Sven Neumann
2003-12-10 20:07:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

crop via pan & zoom ?

Hi,

Darxus@ChaosReigns.com writes:

Lately I've been using the GIMP a lot to crop images with a specific aspect ratio in mind, often with the intention of resizing the result down to a given resolution.

The best way to crop to a fixed size or a fixed aspect ratio is to use the Rect-Select tool. It allows to specify size or aspect ratio easily. When the selection is made, choose Image->Crop Image from menu. You can bind this item to a keybinding to make the task even easier.

We are aware that the Crop tool could be improved quite a bit and Bugzilla has entries for this. You might want to add some helpful comments there or even provide patches.

Sven

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk
2003-12-11 07:13:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

crop via pan & zoom ?

Adding a few more details to Sven's description regarding cropping -

Using gimp1.3 (highly recommended IMHO), Select the Rect-Select tool,
change "Free Select" to "Fixed Aspect Ratio" Enter an aspect ratio (I use 50 and 70 for a 5x7 print, or 35 and 50 for 3.5x5,...)
Select the part of the image you want Adjust the selection using ALT-left click (SHIFT-ALT may work better if your window manager binds ALT to moving the whole window). Now you're ready to crop - I just discovered there are at least two ways of doing this.

A. Tools->Transform Tools->Crop and Resize (or Shift-C) Do a small crop selection (doesn't matter what you select, Then choose "From Selection", followed by Crop. B. Image->Crop Image
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire