RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text Circle

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text Circle <minimoto@wi.rr.com> 26 Feb 04:18
  Text Circle Michael J. Hammel 26 Feb 04:45
   Text Circle firestick 27 Feb 04:32
    Text Circle Owen 27 Feb 05:23
    Text Circle Michael J. Hammel 27 Feb 16:17
<minimoto@wi.rr.com>
2009-02-26 04:18:42 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Text Circle

Does anyone know where I can get the script for the text-circle in 2.4, that works with 2.6?

Michael J. Hammel
2009-02-26 04:45:40 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Text Circle

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 03:18 +0000, minimoto@wi.rr.com wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get the script for the text-circle in 2.4, that works with 2.6?

File->Create->Logos->Text Cirle

firestick
2009-02-27 04:32:52 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Text Circle

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

Wow, great! Can this kind of effect be adjusted after it's been created? I've never even noticed all those options in File->Create. I guess 'create' suggests they're meant to be a starting point, so maybe they can't be adjusted afterwards. Hm? Are there any other ways to get similar effects with text, perhaps by fitting text to a path or something?

Cheers-

((and thanks to the 6 or 7 of you who gave me a weeks worth of play with your answers to my 'replacing colors' question. double cheers!))

Owen
2009-02-27 05:23:32 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Text Circle

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

Wow, great! Can this kind of effect be adjusted after it's been created? I've never even noticed all those options in File->Create. I
guess 'create' suggests they're meant to be a starting point, so maybe they can't be adjusted afterwards. Hm? Are there any other ways to get
similar effects with text, perhaps by fitting text to a path or something?

File->New image, select default

Click on Text tool

Type some text

Now look under 'Layer' in the menu

See if you can work it out from there

Owen

Michael J. Hammel
2009-02-27 16:17:09 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Text Circle

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 22:32 -0500, firestick wrote:

Wow, great! Can this kind of effect be adjusted after it's been created? I've never even noticed all those options in File->Create. I guess 'create' suggests they're meant to be a starting point, so maybe they can't be adjusted afterwards. Hm? Are there any other ways to get similar effects with text, perhaps by fitting text to a path or something?

No, it can't be adjusted (not easily). While GIMP's text features are improved in 2.6, you're still better off creating text along paths using Inkscape and then importing the SVG into GIMP. In Inkscape you can adjust kerning and character position directly on the path in a WYSIWYG fashion. It's actually pretty easy to do (and I'm no Inkscape expert - I hardly ever use it).

I have an article on this subject (integrating GIMP with other desktop tools) coming out in either April or May in Linux Format (UK magazine, available in the US sometime after publication in Europe), assuming I have their publication timetable correct.