RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects Gracia M. Littauer 07 Feb 22:45
  Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects Patrick Horgan 08 Feb 01:03
   Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects Michael J. Hammel 08 Feb 03:35
    Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects Owen 08 Feb 22:14
     Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects Michael J. Hammel 10 Feb 05:36
Gracia M. Littauer
2009-02-07 22:45:19 UTC (over 15 years ago)

anyone used this book ...good? great? so so?

seems to be new

Patrick Horgan
2009-02-08 01:03:49 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

seems to be new

I'm working my way through it...it's not new, i.e. it talks about the upcoming 2.4 release, but it seems quite good. Rather than using the existing Python-Fu scripts to do things, the author tells you about them, but teaches you how to do the stuff yourself...I'll report back when I'm further along.

Patrick

Michael J. Hammel
2009-02-08 03:35:39 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 16:03 -0800, Patrick Horgan wrote:

Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

I'm working my way through it...it's not new, i.e. it talks about the upcoming 2.4 release, but it seems quite good. Rather than using the existing Python-Fu scripts to do things, the author tells you about them, but teaches you how to do the stuff yourself

Yeah, it's definitely not new. Just didn't get a lot of publicity, I guess. It took about 2 years to do and it was about 2 years (maybe longer?) between 2.2 and 2.4. Since it had historically been long periods between major releases I thought I'd be safe to write it for 2.2 (thinking 2.4 wouldn't supplant 2.2 for quite some time even if it did come out soon after the book, which it did). Fortunately, 2.4 didn't changes things that would make the book obsolete. So it's still applicable to 2.4.

2.6 changed the UI a bit and that may confuse people using the book. However, the goal when I wrote it was to use core utilities for tutorials (and not write another User's Guide) and not rely on filters that might change or Script-Fu/Python-Fu add ons. The purpose was to show you how to use the core GIMP. Everything beyond that is just icing.

The web site is slowly getting updates. I plan on updating some very old tutorials (I just got the release to do so from Linux Format, where I write a monthly column on GIMP) for 2.6. It will be a slow process, but that's the plan.

A version of the book for 2.8 is planned if I can ever get the time to start updating all the tutorials. If there was enough interest they might do it on glossy paper next time, which would make the tutorial images much cleaner (but higher cost to produce).

Feel free to write me about the types of tutorials you're looking for. I can consider them for the next edition of the book, write them in my Linux Format column or post them on my web site(s).

http://www.graphics-muse.org/artistsguide/

Comments on the web site(s) are open now (they were closed for a long time, but I now trust my spam software to keep out the riff-raff). Feel free to leave comments there too.

Owen
2009-02-08 22:14:04 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 19:35:39 -0700 "Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

Comments on the web site(s) are open now (they were closed for a long time, but I now trust my spam software to keep out the riff-raff). Feel free to leave comments there too.

Hi Michael,

If you are into perl, this module

http://search.cpan.org/~gunnar/CGI-ContactForm-1.44/lib/CGI/ContactForm.pm

has cut my spam to zero, it doesn't seem to be receptive to robots.

Cheers and keep up the good work

Owen

Michael J. Hammel
2009-02-10 05:36:39 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 08:14 +1100, Owen wrote:

If you are into perl, this module http://search.cpan.org/~gunnar/CGI-ContactForm-1.44/lib/CGI/ContactForm.pm has cut my spam to zero, it doesn't seem to be receptive to robots.

Thanks for the tip Owen. However, my site is based on WordPress and utilizes PHP plugins, including the Akismet plugin, for spam protection. It seems to do a good job of keeping out the evil doers.

Cheers and keep up the good work

Thanks. I'll try. I just put up an updated version of a very old and simple tutorial for Concrete on the web site. I wanted to see how much work it will be to migrate those old tutorials. It's a bit of work but not impossible. It just may take me awhile.

http://www.graphics-muse.org/artistsguide/?page_id=15

The video tutorials may take even longer. I haven't figured out how to get good audio recorded on my laptop. Might be the cheap microphone I use. I don't think the videos are worth it without some audio to accompany them.