RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? Zachary Bruno 05 Feb 00:48
  old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? Chris Mohler 05 Feb 02:01
mailman.237891.1233803698.1... 07 Oct 20:19
  old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? <minimoto@wi.rr.com> 11 Feb 03:51
Zachary Bruno
2009-02-05 00:48:18 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Does anyone know how or know a script or tutorial which makes an old ripped paper effect? Is there a texture that looks like this? Much help would be appreciated.

~Zachary

Chris Mohler
2009-02-05 02:01:59 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Zachary Bruno wrote:

Does anyone know how or know a script or tutorial which makes an old ripped paper effect? Is there a texture that looks like this? Much help would be appreciated.

Not a tutorial, but there are some nice paper textures here: http://www.cgtextures.com/

There's a cap (15 MB?) on how much you can download in one day though - so choose carefully ;)

Chris

<minimoto@wi.rr.com>
2009-02-11 03:51:35 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Here is a tutorial how to make crumpled paper: http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140  Here is a tutorial about making text look like it was on the paper before it was crumpled: http://fence-post.deviantart.com/art/Fit-Text-to-Uneven-Surfaces-35954250 

---- gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? (Zachary Bruno) 2. Re: old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? (Chris Mohler) 3. Re: Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz (D.Jones (aka) Capnhud) 4. Color Discrepency (D.Jones (aka) Capnhud) 5. Re: Color Discrepency (David Gowers) 6. Re: Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz (David Gowers) 7. Re: Can't recompose LAB: Specified layer # not found (saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com) 8. Re: Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz (Chris Mohler)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:48:18 -0600 From: "Zachary Bruno"
Subject: [Gimp-user] old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? To:
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

~Zachary
-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-user/attachments/20090204/2b21f020/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:01:59 +1800 From: Chris Mohler
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] old riped paper script, tutorial, or texture? To: Zachary Bruno
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Zachary Bruno wrote:

Not a tutorial, but there are some nice paper textures here: http://www.cgtextures.com/

There's a cap (15 MB?) on how much you can download in one day though - so choose carefully ;)

Chris

Message: 3 Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:06:51 -0800 (PST) From: "D.Jones (aka) Capnhud"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi,
capnhud@yahoo.com (2009-02-04 at 0902.16 -0800):

I have a large amout of .xcf that I would like to

batch convert to .xcfgz is there an application that can do this?

GSR - FR

Just run gzip *.xcf in a shell. Or look for a compression

app that can
gzip multiple files separatelly (not tar then gzip... no idea if any
app does that alone, I just go with simpler g(un)zip for this).

As advice, save and use .xcf.gz instead of .xcfgz so you need no extra
steps, gunzip *.xcf.gz will revert the compression, but with .xcfgz
you will need some tricks to handle the renaming.

GSR

Is this possible on windows xp? Becaues what you just said sounded like a foreign language that I have never heard :)

Jeffrey Brent McBeth

The trick isn't hard once you know it

gzip -S gz *.xcf

(the default suffix is .gz, so we are just removing the .) Jeff

I forgot to mention how would you do this on Windows XP. Completely forgot that gimp runs on other OS besides windows.

Message: 4 Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:10:31 -0800 (PST) From: "D.Jones (aka) Capnhud"
Subject: [Gimp-user] Color Discrepency To: Gimp Group
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I am not quite sure why this is happening but I notice that sometime when I download images and open them in the gimp the color that I may have seen in the web browser is definitely not the same color that I see in the gimp.

For example this image http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=colordifferencexg2.png

show such a discrepency in which the red in the browser is brighter than the red in the Gimp.

How do I correct this

-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-user/attachments/20090204/7bf53cd1/attachment-0001.html

Message: 5 Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:29:34 +1030 From: David Gowers
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color Discrepency To: "D.Jones (aka) Capnhud"
Cc: Gimp Group
Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi!

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM, D.Jones (aka) Capnhud wrote:

I am not quite sure why this is happening but I notice that sometime when I download images and open them in the gimp the color that I may have seen in the web browser is definitely not the same color that I see in the gimp.

For example this image http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=colordifferencexg2.png

show such a discrepency in which the red in the browser is brighter than the red in the Gimp.

How do I correct this

You use a browser that has proper color management.

Or you can disable color management in GIMP; or assign 'standard srgb' color profile to the image. To be correct, however, you probably should convert the image to 'standard srgb' color profile. (the Image->Mode menu allows you to assign and convert to profiles)

To be completely clear: GIMP is probably showing the image correctly, while your browser is wrongly assuming that the image is stored with standard srgb color profile.

David

Message: 6 Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:36:57 +1030 From: David Gowers
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz To: capnhud@yahoo.com
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi! On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM, D.Jones (aka) Capnhud wrote:

GSR

Is this possible on windows xp? Becaues what you just said sounded like a foreign language that I have never heard :)

This is because of the depravity and poverty of Windows software culture.

:)

Seriously,

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gzip.htm

should be usable in a very similar way to the instructions given.

David

Message: 7 Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:08:18 -0500 From: saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can't recompose LAB: Specified layer # not found
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; DelSp="Yes"; format="flowed"

Quoting Colin Brace : :
:

5)Duplicate B layer, set "B Copy" to overlay (Opacity is 100%). 6)Merge both B layers (Image>Merge Visible Layers/CTRL-M) Choose Expand as necessary (though other options don't make a difference in this case) Hit Ok.
7)Repeat steps #4 through #6 for the "A" layer.

However, after following these steps, when I click the "Recompose" command, I get an error message on the status line:

Specified layer [some number] not found.

The problem is that 'Recompose' relies upon the layer IDs of the three layers and your merging of two layers results in the new layer being given a different layer ID.

As a work-around, you need to duplicate your B layer twice and work with the two copies, leaving the original layer untouched. After you have completed your editing and merged your copies together, perform an "Edit->Cut", Paste it onto the original layer, and Anchor the floating layer.

Unlike Merging, pasting and anchoring will not change the layer ID of the original layer and Recompose will function as expected.

Message: 8 Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:14:42 +1800 From: Chris Mohler
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Batch convert .xcf to .xcfgz To: David Gowers
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu, capnhud@yahoo.com Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM, David Gowers wrote:

Hi!
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM, D.Jones (aka) Capnhud wrote:

GSR

This is because of the depravity and poverty of Windows software culture.

:)

Seriously,

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gzip.htm

should be usable in a very similar way to the instructions given.

And doesn't Cygwin provide gzip also? Not to mention a better shell than stock XP ;)
http://www.cygwin.com/

Chris