RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) David Neary 21 Nov 12:00
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Henrik Brix Andersen 21 Nov 13:12
   GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) David Neary 21 Nov 13:28
    GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Sven Neumann 21 Nov 13:55
     GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) David Neary 21 Nov 16:11
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Andrew Langdon-Davies 21 Nov 13:36
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Andrew Langdon-Davies 21 Nov 13:49
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Branko Collin 21 Nov 14:14
   GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) David Neary 21 Nov 16:17
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Raymond Ostertag 21 Nov 18:43
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Daniel Rogers 21 Nov 19:17
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) Manish Singh 26 Nov 20:35
opryzl82ebhmmv6x@smtp.arrak... 07 Oct 20:16
  GimpCon 2004 (follow-up) David Neary 21 Nov 13:39
David Neary
2003-11-21 12:00:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

I want to start a new thread to get this discussion (which I consider important) back on track.

So far there are 5 propositions in various stages of development, each of which has some + points and some - points. 1) GUADEC
2) Lyon
3) London
4) Dublin
5) Chemnitz

Are there others? We need volunteers.

FACILITIES

What facilities do we need? I've been working (in my head) with figures of 20-30 people, needing fairly liberal access to conference facilities and computer network, preferably staying with LUGgers, but perhaps in a hotel.

MONEY

Who will manage the money side of things? We need someone who is good with numbers, to organise a few people to do fundraising.

DATE

When is the earliest we could meet? When's the latest reasonable date? I like late June, I think June/July/August is our target area. Any comments?

Like I said, feedback is *required* for this.

Cheers, Dave.

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-11-21 13:12:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 12:00, David Neary wrote:

I want to start a new thread to get this discussion (which I consider important) back on track.

Good idea.

So far there are 5 propositions in various stages of development, each of which has some + points and some - points. 1) GUADEC
2) Lyon
3) London
4) Dublin
5) Chemnitz

Personally I think it would be best to piggy-back on an existing event given that the organizers wouldn't mind, of course. This would give us the benefit of an existing infrastructure.

FACILITIES

What facilities do we need? I've been working (in my head) with figures of 20-30 people, needing fairly liberal access to conference facilities and computer network, preferably staying with LUGgers, but perhaps in a hotel.

20-30 people sounds right to me. We need a conference room or similar (the GimpTent at GIMPCon 2003 wasn't exactly a conference room, but it filled our need perfectly) and access to the internet. Of course we need a place/places to sleep as well, but anything from a tent to a hotel would fit this need.

MONEY

Who will manage the money side of things? We need someone who is good with numbers, to organise a few people to do fundraising.

It would be ideal if The GIMP Foundation was a reality when we start the fund-raising. We could then use the conference to evaluate the steps taken to raise funds - and perhaps improve the process.

DATE

When is the earliest we could meet? When's the latest reasonable date? I like late June, I think June/July/August is our target area. Any comments?

I agree. I would say late June, July or early August.

Sincerely, ./Brix

David Neary
2003-11-21 13:28:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi Henrik,

thanks for the feedback.

Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

Personally I think it would be best to piggy-back on an existing event given that the organizers wouldn't mind, of course. This would give us the benefit of an existing infrastructure.

In this case, what IT events do people know of in the timescale we're looking at? GUADEC obviously fits, the Chemnitz event is a little early for my tastes, but is certainly an option. What other events are there that people know about?

MONEY

It would be ideal if The GIMP Foundation was a reality when we start the fund-raising. We could then use the conference to evaluate the steps taken to raise funds - and perhaps improve the process.

I don't think we can rely on the foundation existing in time. And even if we did, the foundation would need a treasurer to be the person In Charge. In either case, we need someone to say they'll take responsibility for money. It might well be reasonable that that person then become the treasurer of the foundation.

Are there any candidates? Personally I think it would be a good idea to separate the organisation of physical structures from fundraising - they're 2 very different jobs, and teach represents a considerable workload. If one person does both, he's likely to be overloaded with work.

Cheers, Dave.

Andrew Langdon-Davies
2003-11-21 13:36:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:00:51 +0100, David Neary wrote:

2) Lyon
3) London
4) Dublin
5) Chemnitz

Barcelona, Catalonia (near Spain)? Site of the Universal Forum of Cultures 2004, and probably also of an alternative forum as the official event is referred to by many as the Forum of Speculation. I could act as go-between and possibly even provide some accommodation. Andrew

David Neary
2003-11-21 13:39:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Langdon-Davies wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:00:51 +0100, David Neary wrote:

Barcelona, Catalonia (near Spain)? Site of the Universal Forum of Cultures 2004, and probably also of an alternative forum as the official event is referred to by many as the Forum of Speculation. I could act as go-between and possibly even provide some accommodation.

When is this event? Do you have any URLs by any chance?

I'm sending on your response to the list. I hope you don't mind - I'm assuming that you intended it to go there :)

Cheers, Dave.

Andrew Langdon-Davies
2003-11-21 13:49:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

(Sorry about the confusion of emails.)

This is the official site: www.barcelona2004.org
I shall see if there is any organised alternative event and pass on the info.
Andrew

Sven Neumann
2003-11-21 13:55:28 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

In this case, what IT events do people know of in the timescale we're looking at? GUADEC obviously fits, the Chemnitz event is a little early for my tastes, but is certainly an option. What other events are there that people know about?

Well, there will probably be LinuxTag again (www.linuxtag.org). It usually takes place in Juli but it's more of a trade fair and thus probably not that well suited. I also think that it would be boring to have the conference in Germany again.

I expect that 2004 will see another Hackmeeting but the webpage doesn't mention a date nor a place yet: http://www.hackmeeting.org/2003/history_en Perhaps someone knows more about the plans for 2004. I heard a lot of good things about past Hackmeetings and it would probably fit well.

Then, there seems to be a vague plan for a HackSchiff in 2004: http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9900470/cngwiki/wiki.cgi?HackSchiff2004EN The planned route would probably take a few weeks so that would give us enough time for some decent hacking and chatting ;)

Sven

Branko Collin
2003-11-21 14:14:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

On 21 Nov 2003, at 12:00, David Neary wrote:

So far there are 5 propositions in various stages of development, each of which has some + points and some - points. 1) GUADEC 2) Lyon 3) London 4) Dublin 5) Chemnitz

Sven suggested (IIRC), Hacking Extreme , the follow-up event to Hackers At Large in 2001, but that is of course still more than one and a half year away. The advantage, from what I understood, and IIRC, was that it tied into a networked camping event.

FACILITIES

I did not mind the camping thing, which is an option as long as it's not too cold.

David Neary
2003-11-21 16:11:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

I expect that 2004 will see another Hackmeeting but the webpage doesn't mention a date nor a place yet: http://www.hackmeeting.org/2003/history_en Perhaps someone knows more about the plans for 2004. I heard a lot of good things about past Hackmeetings and it would probably fit well.

Sounds like a definite possibility.

Then, there seems to be a vague plan for a HackSchiff in 2004: http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9900470/cngwiki/wiki.cgi?HackSchiff2004EN The planned route would probably take a few weeks so that would give us enough time for some decent hacking and chatting ;)

I can't speak for others, but there would be no chance of me taking 3 weeks on a ship this year. Add the cost, and the time to get to Hamburg and from Italy, and I'm voting against this :)

Nice idea, though... wish I were still young & happygolucky.

Cheers, Dave.

David Neary
2003-11-21 16:17:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

Hi,

Branko Collin wrote:

Sven suggested (IIRC), Hacking Extreme , the follow-up event to Hackers At Large in 2001, but that is of course still more than one and a half year away. The advantage, from what I understood, and IIRC, was that it tied into a networked camping event.

That's a great idea - I loved the CCCamp. And since we're planning on making this a proper annual event, perhaps the 2005 edition could be there.

Cheers, Dave.

Raymond Ostertag
2003-11-21 18:43:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:00:51 +0100 David Neary wrote:

2) Lyon
3) London
4) Dublin
5) Chemnitz

RMLL 2004 in Bordeaux. But it's still a project for july 2004 : http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-france/2003-10/msg00037.html

@+ Raymond

Daniel Rogers
2003-11-21 19:17:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

David Neary wrote:

Also, I think local LUGs and any GUG's should be invovled with our gimpcon. It would be a great place for user-developer exchange. And a great place to teach everyone more about using the gimp. This might increase your number estimates.

FACILITIES

hotel facilicies are usually expensive, but hotels like to give conferences deals on the rooms if you are using their facilicies. It would only be worth it if we were getting enough rooms. How much is enough? I don't know. it probably depends on the hotel.

MONEY

I can volunteer to handle the money. I am going to have to start doing it anyway for TGF, so I might as well start now. I know a bookkeeper to two as well, to help me keep track of things. If you get any checks now, you can make them out to me (Daniel Rogers). I will let everyone know when checks can be made out to The Gimp Foundation.

DATE

Siggraph is in August. I would like to try and get some of our developers to go to siggraph but setting gimpcon and siggraph close to one another would prevent that. Because of this, I am favoring June.

-- Dan

Manish Singh
2003-11-26 20:35:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GimpCon 2004 (follow-up)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:00:51PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

2) Lyon
3) London
4) Dublin
5) Chemnitz

The OLS (http://www.linuxsymposium.org/) people would be willing to host too. This would be July 18-19, in Ottawa, Canada. They've hosted the kernel and gcc summits in the past, and are thinking of doing a freedesktop thing this year too.

-Yosh