RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CMS under Gimp.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

200311181713.50875.gwidion@... 07 Oct 20:16
  Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Sven Neumann 18 Nov 22:49
   Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 21 Nov 01:03
    Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Daniel Rogers 21 Nov 06:10
     Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 21 Nov 08:34
      Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Daniel Rogers 21 Nov 16:44
      Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Sven Neumann 21 Nov 16:48
      Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. GSR - FR 21 Nov 17:19
       Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Daniel Rogers 21 Nov 18:37
        Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 24 Nov 11:17
    Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Sven Neumann 21 Nov 16:04
     Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 24 Nov 11:22
      Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp. Sven Neumann 24 Nov 11:29
       CMS under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 26 Nov 12:04
        CMS under Gimp. Sven Neumann 26 Nov 12:32
         CMS under Gimp. Kai-Uwe Behrmann 26 Nov 13:52
          CMS under Gimp. Sven Neumann 26 Nov 14:38
Sven Neumann
2003-11-18 22:49:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Fwd: [GUG] CMYK under Gimp.

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml

I am pointing people at this plug-in for quite a while already.

I hacked together a plugin some time ago that uses the LCMS colour-management library to convert images from RGB to CMYK, using ICC profiles.

Since the GIMP currently has no method of storing CMYK image data internally, I create a collection of layers, one for each channel, and use a custom save routine to create a CMYK TIFF from the layers.

I'd love to see the ability to convert to CMYK on save being added to the standard tiff plug-in. A naive CMYK conversion function is now in libgimpcolor but to make this really useful, the conversion should use color profiles, so this should probably be done using lcms.

It should be goal for GIMP-2.2 to add a framework for handling color profiles. Not only the TIFF plug-in would benefit from this. I know that work is being done on a display filter for color proofing. For this filter to be convenient and useful we will need a general way to select color profiles and to attach them to images. And we will have to improve the color display filter framework. This is working but there's quite some room for improvement here.

At the moment our TIFF plug-in already reads ICC profiles and attaches to the image using the "icc-profile" parasite (see devel-docs/parasites.txt). If I remember correctly it also writes the profile back to the TIFF file when saving. This parasite should be used by other plug-ins as well.

The CMYK color selector we have is also a module and be exchanged by an improved version that uses color profiles. So basically the infrastructure is there that enables some basic CMYK support to be added now without touching the GIMP core.

Someone or a group of people could try to come up with a CMYK extension package for GIMP-2.0. I imagine this as a package that contains a number of plug-ins replacing the standard file plug-ins for CMYK-aware formats, a CMYK color selector module and a number of color correction filters. If these plug-ins and modules all use lcms and share ICC profiles by means of gimprc and parasites, you could use GIMP to work on CMYK data even though it stores the data as RGB internally. This is of course limited CMYK support only but it would bring us a good way closer to it and I have been told that it should be sufficient for a lot of tasks,

There are however one or two changes needed to the current module API. Right now the modules have no way to access image parasites. Adding this would probably be small hack only. If someone comes up with such a patch quickly, perhaps we could even sneak it into 2.0 somehow.

Sven

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-21 01:03:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Am 18.11.03, 22:49 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

correction filters. If these plug-ins and modules all use lcms and share ICC profiles by means of gimprc and parasites, you could use

Have gimps configure an header check for lcms allready onboard? This would help plug-ins to easily link against liblcms?

Kai-Uwe

Daniel Rogers
2003-11-21 06:10:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote: | Am 18.11.03, 22:49 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann: |
|
|>correction filters. If these plug-ins and modules all use lcms and |>share ICC profiles by means of gimprc and parasites, you could use |
|
| Have gimps configure an header check for lcms allready onboard? This | would help plug-ins to easily link against liblcms?

I am working on an api for this in GEGL. It is probably best to use the system api's, when available, since there are already methods to plug lcms into the exisiting system api's (on windows and Mac OS X) as a CMM. ~ There will be an abstraction in GEGL for this. Eventually, I am going to try an get it moved to the freedesktop.org people (and into gtk). But that is quite a long term goal.

- -- Dan
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/vZ5gad4P1+ZAZk0RAuVDAKCRS6p+8Vz2BbW3e6D7SxhMJ3iooACfWfvs IW22eyXeFgylASqfV5jWMQk=
=fe6n
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-21 08:34:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Am 20.11.03, 21:10 -0800 schrieb Daniel Rogers:

I am working on an api for this in GEGL. It is probably best to use the system api's, when available, since there are already methods to plug lcms into the exisiting system api's (on windows and Mac OS X) as a CMM.

This would be fine for unix based systems too. Are there any plans to create an system interface for X to plug-in an CMM? Do You know someone allready working on this?

~ There will be an abstraction in GEGL for this. Eventually, I am going to try an get it moved to the freedesktop.org people (and into gtk). But that is quite a long term goal.

Can You provide more informations about the current state of CMS in GEGL?

regards Kai-Uwe

Sven Neumann
2003-11-21 16:04:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann writes:

Have gimps configure an header check for lcms allready onboard? This would help plug-ins to easily link against liblcms?

I don't see how a configure check in GIMP would help plug-ins so the answer to the question doesn't really matter. I'll give it anway: I've added such a check a few minutes ago when the color proof display filter was added to CVS.

Sven

Daniel Rogers
2003-11-21 16:44:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote: | Am 20.11.03, 21:10 -0800 schrieb Daniel Rogers: |
|
|>I am working on an api for this in GEGL. It is probably best to use the |>system api's, when available, since there are already methods to plug |>lcms into the exisiting system api's (on windows and Mac OS X) as a CMM. |
|
| This would be fine for unix based systems too. Are there any plans to | create an system interface for X to plug-in an CMM? | Do You know someone allready working on this?

yeah, I am working on this. Hopefully, I will be going to talk to the X.org and freedesktop people in December.

| |>~ There will be an abstraction in GEGL for this. Eventually, I am going |>to try an get it moved to the freedesktop.org people (and into gtk). |>But that is quite a long term goal. |
|
| Can You provide more informations about the current state of CMS in GEGL?

asking about the CMS in GEGL is really asking about the current state of LCMS. LCMS is a pretty darn complete color management system. And there isn't a lot of solid information. I know what I want to do, I just need to do it.

Ok, so I avoided the question. Do you want me to discuss technical details of how I think colormanagement will work in gegl?

- -- Daniel
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/vjLYad4P1+ZAZk0RAlSoAJ99xIpYFjvU/SwLsoM7ycGYnFgksQCffwU/ PGXujXw8vKC9loidpL3+jVM=
=t8ym
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Sven Neumann
2003-11-21 16:48:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann writes:

This would be fine for unix based systems too. Are there any plans to create an system interface for X to plug-in an CMM? Do You know someone allready working on this?

X11 has support for color management for a loooong time already. What exactly is missing in your opinion?

Sven

GSR - FR
2003-11-21 17:19:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

web@tiscali.de (2003-11-21 at 0834.36 +0100):

apropos Xcms should give you some man pages, here it does. If one checks the background of X11 (ie, Silicon Graphics machines) it sounds logical to have such thing, I have heard that some people have used custom LUTs to do film work with plain Linux too... so it is all about lack of publicity and docs, I guess.

GSR

Daniel Rogers
2003-11-21 18:37:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GSR - FR wrote:

web@tiscali.de (2003-11-21 at 0834.36 +0100):

apropos Xcms should give you some man pages, here it does. If one checks the background of X11 (ie, Silicon Graphics machines) it sounds logical to have such thing, I have heard that some people have used custom LUTs to do film work with plain Linux too... so it is all about lack of publicity and docs, I guess.

Ah, well I interpreted this slightly differently. While X11 does have color management support, it is not as good as lcms, and doesn't support the concept of CMM, which is what I really thought he was asking about. Pro people like to be able to buy Color Management Modules and plug them into the exsisting system apis.

-- Dan

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-24 11:17:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Am 21.11.03, 09:37 -0800 schrieb Daniel Rogers:

Ah, well I interpreted this slightly differently. While X11 does have color management support, it is not as good as lcms, and doesn't support the concept of CMM, which is what I really thought he was asking about. Pro people like to be able to buy Color Management Modules and plug them into the exsisting system apis.

I heard lcms is plugable as an CMM module too (mac/win) and is sold for zero ;-)

--
Kai-Uwe

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-24 11:22:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Am 21.11.03, 16:04 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

would help plug-ins to easily link against liblcms?

I don't see how a configure check in GIMP would help plug-ins so the answer to the question doesn't really matter. I'll give it anway: I've added such a check a few minutes ago when the color proof display filter was added to CVS.

Great.
Thanks for this hint. I will see what I can do with it.

-- Kai-Uwe

Sven Neumann
2003-11-24 11:29:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann writes:

would help plug-ins to easily link against liblcms?

Great.
Thanks for this hint. I will see what I can do with it.

Hmm? As I already outlined, the configure check in GIMP doesn't help external plug-ins and modules. Also, GIMP does not depend on lcms now, so I wonder what exactly you are trying to do with it ...?

Sven

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-26 12:04:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

CMS under Gimp.

Am 24.11.03, 11:29 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

Hmm? As I already outlined, the configure check in GIMP doesn't help external plug-ins and modules. Also, GIMP does not depend on lcms now, so I wonder what exactly you are trying to do with it ...?

I guessed You mean to set an variable which helps to set lcms paths and switches in the Makefile. For instance the separate plug-in from Alastair M. Robinson and the color-manager from Karl Heinz Kremer need to detect lcms separately from the main app. These are plug-ins helping to work with different colour spaces. Will they not included in gimps main release?

To my plans. As I was asked by users to make cinepaints tiffreader compile in gimp because of its multilayer capabilities I like to reach the most common behaviour. Recently I started to use lcms to convert undisplayable colour spaces to RGB. So I am now able to open CMYKs and Lab to an visible image. But it is not clear at the moment how to handle it at all. Maybe the upcoming CMS framework of gimp is an better solution to handle this. Next would be to apply an embedded profile to the image data and load the converted image into the app. This could help to justify the workspace. Other CMS issues stay on my plan. I found tiff has very good colour management capabilities, so I work mostly on supporting this format.

I liked to offer the compatible plug-in with all features of gimp plug-in and the additionals of cinepaint for gimps 2.0 realease. At the moment Recently a friend and I managed the plug-in to compile with gimp-1.3.23 .

This is part of what I plan to give back to gimp. To work for both apps at once makes it more likely that people will enjoy the advantages of tiff .

Hope this helps avoiding some further code duplication. Kai-Uwe

Sven Neumann
2003-11-26 12:32:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

CMS under Gimp.

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann writes:

I guessed You mean to set an variable which helps to set lcms paths and switches in the Makefile. For instance the separate plug-in from Alastair M. Robinson and the color-manager from Karl Heinz Kremer need to detect lcms separately from the main app.

Separate plug-ins need to provide their own build framework. We make it relatively easy by providing pkg-config files, automake macros and a plug-in template. However third-party plug-ins and modules will need to check for lcms on their own. It's not really rocket science though and people can of course copy the check from GIMP's configure script.

These are plug-ins helping to work with different colour spaces. Will they not included in gimps main release?

They should probably be included at some point. Actually our goal was to move as much plug-ins out of the main distribution as possible and not to accept any new plug-ins. However since there's still no useable plug-in registry, we lately changed this policy and started to add plug-ins to the 1.3 tree.

However it's a bit late to still add plug-ins for 2.0 but we can start now to implement a reasonable CMS framework in plug-ins and modules and integrate these into the distribution for the 2.2 release.

To my plans. As I was asked by users to make cinepaints tiffreader compile in gimp because of its multilayer capabilities I like to reach the most common behaviour. Recently I started to use lcms to convert undisplayable colour spaces to RGB. So I am now able to open CMYKs and Lab to an visible image.

libtiff does these color conversions for you already. The GIMP tiff plug-in is able to read CMYK files, not sure about Lab. The ability to read multiple pages from TIFF files should be added to GIMP's standard TIFF plug-in. This is a frequently requested feature and we are waiting for a patch for quite some time already:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66886

I liked to offer the compatible plug-in with all features of gimp plug-in and the additionals of cinepaint for gimps 2.0 realease. At the moment Recently a friend and I managed the plug-in to compile with gimp-1.3.23 .

As I said, it's a bit late to get this into 2.0. But it all depends on how large the changes are. I don't think we can integrate color management at this point but a clean patch for loading multiple pages could be accepted into 2.0 still.

Sven

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
2003-11-26 13:52:30 UTC (over 20 years ago)

CMS under Gimp.

Am 26.11.03, 12:32 +0100 schrieb Sven Neumann:

They should probably be included at some point. Actually our goal was to move as much plug-ins out of the main distribution as possible and not to accept any new plug-ins. However since there's still no useable plug-in registry, we lately changed this policy and started to add plug-ins to the 1.3 tree.

I understand.

However it's a bit late to still add plug-ins for 2.0 but we can start now to implement a reasonable CMS framework in plug-ins and modules and integrate these into the distribution for the 2.2 release.

The later sounds interessting.

convert undisplayable colour spaces to RGB. So I am now able to open CMYKs and Lab to an visible image.

libtiff does these color conversions for you already. The GIMP tiff

Yes, CMYK is converted natively by libtiff. The plug-in is able to do it with an embedded ICC profile. This may remain for the CMS framework of gimp You mentioned.

plug-in is able to read CMYK files, not sure about Lab. The ability to read multiple pages from TIFF files should be added to GIMP's standard TIFF plug-in. This is a frequently requested feature and we are waiting for a patch for quite some time already:

Loading it up with my login failed. Are there other ways to send it?

As I said, it's a bit late to get this into 2.0. But it all depends on how large the changes are. I don't think we can integrate color management at this point but a clean patch for loading multiple pages could be accepted into 2.0 still.

It is more a new plug-in in terms of size. My goal was not to split the code for different apps. So take a look on it yourselfe.

Kai-Uwe

Sven Neumann
2003-11-26 14:38:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

CMS under Gimp.

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann writes:

Loading it up with my login failed. Are there other ways to send it?

Patches can be send to the gimp-developer mailing-list.

It is more a new plug-in in terms of size. My goal was not to split the code for different apps. So take a look on it yourselfe.

I don't think we want the replace the TIFF plug-in with a completely different version at this point of development. Too many bug-fixes went into the plug-in even since GIMP-1.2. We would risk to loose these. I would prefer a set of patches.

Sven