RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pasting into MS Word from Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? esnible 23 Nov 03:06
  Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Michael Schumacher 23 Nov 10:03
  Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Cristian Secar? 23 Nov 10:58
   Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? esnible 24 Nov 04:01
    Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 07:55
Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Terry Moss 24 Nov 07:22
Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Terry Moss 04 Dec 14:42
2136166580.5281122754257040... 07 Oct 20:19
  Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? erniew@comcast.net 24 Nov 17:04
   Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 19:38
425099259.10178122755409594... 07 Oct 20:19
  Pasting into MS Word from Gimp? erniew@comcast.net 24 Nov 20:22
2008-11-23 03:06:22 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Is there a 'trick' for pasting images from Gimp into Microsoft Word?

Images copied from Gimp (Windows version 2.6.1, but also with the last version I had) don't paste into Microsoft Word (2003). I have no problem pasting them into Microsoft Paint.

I've been pasting them into MS Paint and then copying them and pasting them into Word. Is there any way to eliminate the need for a middleman to re-copy the image?

I don't know if this helps, but the Windows XP clipboard viewer (clipbrd.exe) says that Gimp is offering images of type "DIB Bitmap" and "Bitmap". MSPaint is offering "Picture", "DIB Bitmap", "Enhanced Metafile" and "Bitmap". The problem isn't that MS Word doesn't speak Gimp's formats, because Edit|PasteSpecial doesn't have an effect for either clipboard format when coming from Gimp and it works with all three formats when coming from MS Paint.

If I run Gimp in --verbose mode it says it's offering image/bmp'.

Michael Schumacher
2008-11-23 10:03:51 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Ed S. wrote:

I've been pasting them into MS Paint and then copying them and pasting them into Word. Is there any way to eliminate the need for a middleman to re-copy the image?

It would be very nice if you could try to figure this out. This problem is known, but so far no user of Microsoft Word seems to have researched why this happens - and pasting to and from many other applications seems to work. Maybe there is some Documentation in MSDN.

Michael

Cristian Secar?
2008-11-23 10:58:31 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 03:06:22 +0100 (CET), Ed S. wrote:

I don't know if this helps, but the Windows XP clipboard viewer (clipbrd.exe) says that Gimp is offering images of type "DIB Bitmap" and "Bitmap".

It appears there s a problem with the Bitmap format. If I try to view the Bitmap format with the ClipBook Viewer, a message tells me that "ClipBook Viewer cannot display the information in its current format or there is not enough memory to display it. Quit one or more application to increase the available memory, and then try again."

As I assume that 2G memory is enough, though, for a 750K image, then it should be a problem with something else. Perhaps Word tries this format in front of other.

(and Word is not the single application, the same type of problem occurs when trying to copy and paste to Paint.NET, for example; there it gives either "The image in the clipboard couldn't be recognized. Try re-opening it with the original application that was used to qcquire it", or "There is no usable image in the clipboard")

Cristi

2008-11-24 04:01:02 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523554 is the bug for this. I left a trivial C program there that that can be used to look at clipboard. In my tests Gimp's CF_DIB exactly matches MS-Paint's but Gimp's CF_BITMAP has bogus values including bmType.

I hypothesize that Word and Paint.NET refuse to paste when encountering the odd CF_BITMAP but MS Paint falls through and accepts the valid DIB, or perhaps prefers the DIB and never sees the BITMAP.

It might be possible to comment out the Gimp code for pasting CF_BITMAP so only the valid DIB is present. I don't want to attempt this.

It appears there s a problem with the Bitmap format. If I try to view the Bitmap format with the ClipBook Viewer, a message tells me that "ClipBook Viewer cannot display the information in its current format or there is not enough memory to display it. Quit one or more application to increase the available memory, and then try again."

As I assume that 2G memory is enough, though, for a 750K image, then it should be a problem with something else. Perhaps Word tries this format in front of other.

(and Word is not the single application, the same type of problem occurs when trying to copy and paste to Paint.NET, for example; there it gives either "The image in the clipboard couldn't be recognized. Try re-opening it with the original application that was used to qcquire it", or "There is no usable image in the clipboard")

Cristi

Terry Moss
2008-11-24 07:22:05 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gee I see that other people are experiencing similar problems to mine.........once I upgraded to 2.4.7 the 'copy to clipboard disappeared' yeah I could work around it and for what I need it was ok..........I couldn't paste to WORD either but found I could paste to XL then carry on with the formatting..........I have XP SP 3 but have retained Word and XL 2003 coz I prefer these versions...I just don't like 2007 version.

cheers, Terry

----- Original Message ---

Sven Neumann
2008-11-24 07:55:37 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 04:01 +0100, Ed S. wrote:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523554 is the bug for this. I left a trivial C program there that that can be used to look at clipboard. In my tests Gimp's CF_DIB exactly matches MS-Paint's but Gimp's CF_BITMAP has bogus values including bmType.

The GIMP source code includes a test application that helps to debug such problems. Perhaps try if you can shed some light on this using tools/test-clipboard.

GIMP does not use the terms CF_DIB nor CF_BITMAP. It would help if you could explain what these are.

Sven

erniew@comcast.net
2008-11-24 17:04:51 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

GIMP does not use the terms CF_DIB nor CF_BITMAP. It would help if you could explain what these are.

They are Windows API constants used to identify types of data in the clipboard. One of these would be the first argument to the Windows API function SetClipboardData(), for example. See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649013(VS.85).aspx

If this doesn't help, I'll try to look at the GIMP source code later and translate these into GIMP terminology.

- Ernie http://home.comcast.net/~erniew

Sven Neumann
2008-11-24 19:38:21 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 16:04 +0000, erniew@comcast.net wrote:

They are Windows API constants used to identify types of data in the clipboard. One of these would be the first argument to the Windows API function SetClipboardData(), for example. See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649013(VS.85).aspx

If this doesn't help, I'll try to look at the GIMP source code later and translate these into GIMP terminology.

That doesn't help as GIMP doesn't use the Windows API directly. This is all abstracted away in GTK+. You may want to check how GTK+ does the translation to the Windows API.

Sven

erniew@comcast.net
2008-11-24 20:22:22 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

They are Windows API constants used to identify types of data in the clipboard.

That doesn't help as GIMP doesn't use the Windows API directly. This is all abstracted away in GTK+. You may want to check how GTK+ does the translation to the Windows API.

I guess explaining those terms would not help, then. :)

I've had a chance to read the bug report referenced upthread,

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523554

and it looks like the problem is already pretty well understood, including the fact that it's likely a problem in GTK+ rather than GIMP.

- Ernie http://home.comcast.net/~erniew

Terry Moss
2008-12-04 14:42:31 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I had same problem but found it would paste into XL 2003 version. Also another interesting concept is to open a pic with 'PAINT' then choose the free form selection, then draw round something, then by holding 'shift' or, 'ctrl', or, 'alt' or versions of all three and dragging, very interesting things happen.
Terry

----- Original Message ---